Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did Ryan walk back into the team tonight?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Every picture tells a story:

2830.jpg

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Every picture tells a story:

View attachment 104224
Yep !!

What the hell is Ryan doing ? Duffy is getting raped there and is to blame as well but a strong keeper could have cleared that out, he looks physically too small there.

And I still maintain a taller keeper would have reached the first goal.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

So the same posters could stamp their feet and moan that Ryan wasn’t playing and he should have been first choice the second he came back? You can’t win with some of the dinlos on here.

Not sure it would be the same posters, but nice use of dinlos.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can only presume he was jetlagged or maybe drunk?!? Absolutely rubbish. No control of the box , defence looked unsure with him back. Weak for the second goal.

Button has done well. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but he should never have lost the shirt and should be back in the team on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oh my, what wonderful hindsight you have. Trouble with dropping your best players (and he IS our best keeper!) because you are predicting when they will have a poor night will just make you look daft, because as they are sat on the bench, no-one other than you realises they were about to have the poor night you dropped them for.

In other news, what were we all thinking at the weekend, when it was obvious we should have gone for 29, 40, 42, 47, 51, 56 in the Lotto draw. Grrr, what's wrong with us all?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I find it so hard to maintain the standards of courtesy required on NSC when you blithely hit the keyboard with such one dimensional pronouncements as this. He has been away in a totally different climate playing with a different group of players under a different coaching regime with different systems. He has then been put back in the team with only a couple of days to re-acclimatise effectively to team mates and weather before playing in foul conditions at Fulham on a bitter cold January night. The team and Button have had a month to play together and get used to each other and this was Button's old team against whom he would have been determined to do well. So it wasn't really a no brainer to to play Ryan. It might have been better to stick him on the bench and watch from the sidelines before a return on Saturday.

In what way is your view any more dimensional? If Button had played and also conceded four I'm sure you'd be on here wondering why Ryan hadn't been picked. To say he had trouble coping with the cold is insulting to Mat.

Well let me just re-check my post. Different weather, different coaching, different players for Ryan to contend with. Familiarity developed over a month for Button and the boys, extra motivation for Button as former team. That's five dimensions for a start. My point was regarding the oversimplification by BG for choosing Ryan over Button and being a no brainer - I'm sure CH made a considered decision based on many factors and yes, I would have wondered about the rights and wrongs whoever had played. I'm pretty sure you read my post as you bothered to reply, but I did not insult Ryan over the cold. I simply suggested that the conditions at Fulham were very different to UAE and not in a good way. Perhaps in the context of everything else, the return of Maty might have been better left till Saturday. I also appreciate 20/20 hindsight is perfect, but I think my points were food for thought and not for the first time, BG got under my skin. I really must put him on ignore - he will be my first!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
He just looked a bit slower than usual tonight from what I saw. Possibly the Asian Cup wasn't a great standard and I think it would have made sense to stick with Button for this one, giving Ryan a few more days to get fully integrated back with the squad.

This. Jet lag or no jet lag - travelling and then playing an intense period of games is bound to have an effect.

I was there last night and some of the headers Maty would normally reach seemed to elude him.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Button to start next PL game for me.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're collectively out of form at the moment, Ryan included.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH he should have done better with their second but the rest isn't really on him.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That's two below par performances in a row since he came back from Asia. Clearly needs a break. We can't afford to wait for him to get back up to speed.
He was ok Vs Watford but barely tested

His distribution is rubbish as well at the moment

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We need some MOTM performances from him if we are going to ease away from the relegation zone imo. All very well looking for goals scored but you also have to keep down goals conceded. I don’t recall the last time he got MOTM tbh.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ryan should have done better with the 2nd but then so should have Stephens who was weak in the tackle preceding it. Dunk should have done better with the 1st. Stuart Atwell should have done better with the 3rd.

They all need to sharpen up a bit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We need some MOTM performances from him if we are going to ease away from the relegation zone imo. All very well looking for goals scored but you also have to keep down goals conceded. I don’t recall the last time he got MOTM tbh.

This.

When was the last time he came for a cross?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here