Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Throwing away a 2 goal lead

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Not the first time this season. We must get better at closing games out

Those of you who voted for point gained the last time this happened refused to accept that not walking away from a game at 2-0 up, what are your thoughts today?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
It's squeaky bum time again folks. From being very comfortable with a big points gap, that has bit by bit been eroded away by inept team selection. Poor substitution timing. In all my years of supporting the Albion tonight's performance is without doubt the most bitter pill I've had to swallow. Perhaps just perhaps Chris has reached his " ceiling ".

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The bottom teams have had a good night. Burnley, Newcastle, Cardiff (after what they've been through and a narrow 2-1 defeat at Arsenal. Nothing to be ashamed of there, especially as the Gooners needed a penalty to open the scoring).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's squeaky bum time again folks. From being very comfortable with a big points gap, that has bit by bit been eroded away by inept team selection. Poor substitution timing. In all my years of supporting the Albion tonight's performance is without doubt the most bitter pill I've had to swallow. Perhaps just perhaps Chris has reached his " ceiling ".

Wow. I'd assume you could only have been around for a couple of years then.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think CH has reached his ceiling, but Ranieri is clearly a better 'in game' tactician, at least he was today.

The bottom line is the basic quality of players and the management team getting the best of their strengths.

Ranieris clearly told his players at half time his observations of our wing style attack and how they could piss all over us in the second half by braking against it and crossing deep to bypass DnD.

We could have scored 4, but easily have conceded 7.

Duffy and Dunk will be cleaning Mitrovic car tomorrow, and 2 coats of wax!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Twice this season we've come back from 2 down, including against Fulham. Twice we've let a two goal slip.

You can't damn one without giving credit for the other.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Palace playoff 2nd leg
Boro away last day
Sheffield weds away playoff 1st leg
Sheffield weds home playoff 2nd leg

All comfortably worse than a defeat that will hopefully not mean too much at the end of the season. All happened within the last 5 years.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Palace playoff 2nd leg
Boro away last day

All comfortably worse than a defeat that will hopefully not mean too much at the end of the season. All happened within the last 5 years.

Not to mention games like Walsall at home where we got beat by 9 men and never looked like scoring. Some people really need to get a grip.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Palace playoff 2nd leg
Boro away last day

And who could ever forget Palace 5 Albion 0! Vomit inducing result.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Not to mention games like Walsall at home where we got beat by 9 men and never looked like scoring. Some people really need to get a grip.

There are so many examples from just my lifetime that it boggles the mind that someone who has followed the club for that long thinks THAT was the hardest defeat to take.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Twice this season we've come back from 2 down, including against Fulham. Twice we've let a two goal slip.

You can't damn one without giving credit for the other.
Quite. Bad day at the office, nothing else. Some people on here completely lose their senses of perspective. Hughton has always been flawed and he was outhought and a bit slow to react to their substitution but that doesn't make him a bad manager. Similar sentiments to our centre backs who have been outstanding regularly this season. They were both crap second half, but they're not league two players all of a sudden.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Quite. Bad day at the office, nothing else. Some people on here completely lose their senses of perspective. Hughton has always been flawed and he was outhought and a bit slow to react to their substitution but that doesn't make him a bad manager. Similar sentiments to our centre backs who have been outstanding regularly this season. They were both crap second half, but they're not league two players all of a sudden.
I'm not so sure.

Doubts are creeping in for me. I believe we have 5 points from the last 9 games. That's abysmal.

The happy clappers are overjoyed that we restricted Liverpool, man u etc to 3 shots etc....... But at the end of the day we still lost those games.

We blew it recently against West ham and we blew it big time against Fulham tonight.

We can't kid ourselves we are sleep walking into a relegation battle at the moment, we just don't look good enough. I hope things turn around soon, but I worry that people are expecting us to just turn up at home and beat 2 in form teams in Watford and burnley (both teams we've already lost to this season)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
One positive for me, Hughton has not come out and said the standard 'We shall learn from this and move on' b0ll0x.
Wasn't as cold as I thought it was going to be though.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Palace playoff 2nd leg
Boro away last day

Tonight was very bad but far from the sheer pain felt on those occasions.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

My bold to highlight.

And I agree it most certainly does not make him a bad manager. But it does make him a manager with limitations. It is for others to decide at what point his flaws, if he is not able to overcome them, are just a bit too much of a risk.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My bold to highlight.

And I agree it most certainly does not make him a bad manager. But it does make him a manager with limitations. It is for others to decide at what point his flaws, if he is not able to overcome them, are just a bit too much of a risk.
But yesterday was clearly not all down to him. He got it spot on in the first instance, and we could and should have been more than 2 goals up. The problem was that Fulham scored 4 minutes into the second half with a worldy. If that had gone into row Z, the game might well have panned out very differently.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

You weren't at the Palace play-off game then? Or Middlesbrough game? Or Sheffield Wednesday game?

That's just off the top of my head.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here