Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Defiant burger-flipper tells 'bullying' vegan activists to 'bring it on'

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well firstly it’s not about pushing it on to people, it’s about educating them and saying ‘hey, all the nutrition you get from meat can be found in plants, it’s better for the environment and no animals need to suffer for it’. At the end of the day the environmental reasons alone should be enough to make people think about their choice in diet. By reducing our meat consumption we could prevent the 2 degree rise in temperatures that would cause an environmental crisis around the world, seeing many species become extinct and the destruction of one of the world’s great beaties, the Great Barrier Reef. If pointing that out is ‘pushing’ my views on people then I despair.

You won't succeed in "educating them" if you invade a restaurant whilst "them" are enjoying their dinner and start intimidating and shouting at "them".

Your post is educational. Screaming at people, intimidating them, causing disruption to businesses is never going to be educational.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You won't succeed in "educating them" if you invade a restaurant whilst "them" are enjoying their dinner and start intimidating and shouting at "them".

Your post is educational. Screaming at people, intimidating them, causing disruption to businesses is never going to be educational.

I don’t disagree. I don’t think that is what most vegan activism looks like though and I suppose that is the point I am attempting to make.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm not sure this view is really going to change 2.5 millions years of humans eating meat. If you convert every single person in Europe, it might make a little bit of difference to the climate change, but what the folks in China still eating their pet dog?

I don't think they eat their pet dog, they eat dogs that have been raised for their meat.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
As a dog owner, why not eat dog? I choose not to, but have no problem with the concept, or horses etc etc.

But why not? If you would choose not to put your dog through unnecessary pain and suffering, why would you let it happen to a horse? Is it because you have an emotional connection to your pet or that you acknowledge that your pet feels? What I’m getting at here is that I’m interested in the way in which people justify the difference between eating a cat or dog and a horse, cow, pig etc. Obviously there are parts of the world that don’t differentiate the way we do in the west and will just eat everything. Yet, in the West, we often see ourselves as morally superior for not eating dog or shark fin yet the only difference between the dog, the shark and the horse is our own perception.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I don't think they eat their pet dog, they eat dogs that have been raised for their meat.

And they treat them in the most appalling way, believing the more suffering the animal goes through the better it will taste.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It’s this attitude that breeds ignorance. If you yourself don’t wish to listen then it shows how closed minded you are. There is a whole host of scientific evidence that backs up all that I have said re the environment and just as much regarding the cruel ways in which animals are often kept in order to be slaughtered. If you refuse to acknowledge this because you don’t want to listen, it says far more about you and others than it does about me.

Balls

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But why not? If you would choose not to put your dog through unnecessary pain and suffering, why would you let it happen to a horse? Is it because you have an emotional connection to your pet or that you acknowledge that your pet feels? What I’m getting at here is that I’m interested in the way in which people justify the difference between eating a cat or dog and a horse, cow, pig etc. Obviously there are parts of the world that don’t differentiate the way we do in the west and will just eat everything. Yet, in the West, we often see ourselves as morally superior for not eating dog or shark fin yet the only difference between the dog, the shark and the horse is our own perception.

Apart from the opening line, I agree with you. By pure chance we are the top predator on the planet, anything edible could be described as fair game. If lions were the ace predator with a little more Intel, do you think they would waste time and effort on the hunt? Actually making a kill every 1 in 3 efforts, or would they corrall up their prey in a container and pick one at will, bit like us and lobster?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It’s this attitude that breeds ignorance. If you yourself don’t wish to listen then it shows how closed minded you are. There is a whole host of scientific evidence that backs up all that I have said re the environment and just as much regarding the cruel ways in which animals are often kept in order to be slaughtered. If you refuse to acknowledge this because you don’t want to listen, it says far more about you and others than it does about me.

I think you're confusing the issue. Many people listen to 'the message' and many people I know, including myself, have cut back on meat. Indeed the other week when a UN report by 37 experts came out suggesting a more plant based diets were necessary to save the planet the report was discussed calmly and with respect on many TV and radio shows. People are happy to listen in those circumstances. As am I.

But when pricks like DXE wave placards in your face, accuse you of murder and shout through megaphones - i.e. try and create a confrontation - then that's where it becomes unacceptable. Quite frankly, if it was my business they trespassed upon ( and it IS trespass ) I'd use any force necessary to remove them ( as would be my right ). If they come into a restuarant I'm eating in and try and disrupt my meal I'm paying good money for then they can expect a VERY forceful responce. Yet when the poor darlings got this the other day in North Laine they went crying to the press about intimidation ..... utter hypocrites !!!!

Be a vegan if you want, protest peacefully if you want but don't intimidate other people with some pathetic idea they will then listen to your cause. DXE could take a leaf out of Albion fans protests ...... it was well documentented that one of the reasons we got Falmer was because of the humurous, good natured and non-intimidating campaigns that were run.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I do not have a closed mind, I have listened. I have decided and chosen to have a different diet to you. Please respect that and stop intimidating me with attempted guilt trips or personal insults or claims that you are a better person than me.

I speak purely for myself even though I suspect there may be others that agree.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I do not have a closed mind, I have listened. I have decided and chosen to have a different diet to you. Please respect that and stop intimidating me with attempted guilt trips or personal insults or claims that you are a better person than me.

I speak purely for myself even though I suspect there may be others that agree.

I am not attempting to intimidate you in the slightest. I am merely attempting to understand how people can listen to the facts in regards to animal welfare and the environmental issues, and still choose not to do anything because it ‘tastes good’. Of course, you have the right to choose, but there comes a point people have to take responsibility and accept that you (the collective you) could, perhaps, be doing more by eating less meat.

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I am not attempting to intimidate you in the slightest. I am merely attempting to understand how people can listen to the facts in regards to animal welfare and the environmental issues, and still choose not to do anything because it ‘tastes good’. Of course, you have the right to choose, but there comes a point people have to take responsibility and accept that you (the collective you) could, perhaps, be doing more by eating less meat.

Who is to say we are not eating less meat. The 'tastes good' factor is a mighty one. You do not have to understand, you merely have to accept that there are people that eat meat, and like eating meat, in the same way that we accept your veganism.

Because we disagree does not make us inferior beings to you (collective you) vegans, and that is where many vegans p*ss us off with the preaching and trying to make out we are because you (collective you) do not understand our choices. It is our choice.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
K

Why wouldn’t I pity someone who lacks empathy towards other living creatures? If caring about animals makes me a ‘cliche’ vegan then you’re right. Both dog and cow feel pain and I wouldn’t inflict pain and suffering on my pets so why would I inflict pain and suffering on a cow? A cows purpose isn’t just to provide for human sustenance. The earth was made for all veins, not just human beings.

You are right. I suppose it boils down to what I’m willing to accept in my own life.

I’ve got Rex in the slow cooker with some parsnips and sweet beetroot. What time can we expect you? He is/was a chocolate Lab so bring red I reckon :-o

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who is to say we are not eating less meat. The 'tastes good' factor is a mighty one. You do not have to understand, you merely have to accept that there are people that eat meat, and like eating meat, in the same way that we accept your veganism.

Because we disagree does not make us inferior beings to you (collective you) vegans, and that is where many vegans p*ss us off with the preaching and trying to make out we are because you (collective you) do not understand our choices. It is our choice.

I do feel vegans get a rough deal though. Plenty of people preach about all manner of stuff, but they don’t get as much venom as vegans.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
How do vegans deal with 'beef curtains'?Do they just push them to one side?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Of course it is your choice and if it just affected you, then that’d be a different matter. But when your choice have a negative impact on living creatures and the environment, you can’t expect some people not to want to discuss, debate or challenge it.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Of course it is your choice and if it just affected you, then that’d be a different matter. But when your choice have a negative impact on living creatures and the environment, you can’t expect some people not to want to discuss, debate or challenge it.

I'm glad you agree it is my choice. It has been discussed, debated and challenged. Now get on and accept not everyone has made the same choices as yourself.

It's starting to sound like a nagging partner, it does not help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm glad you agree it is my choice. It has been discussed, debated and challenged. Now get on and accept not everyone has made the same choices as yourself.

It's starting to sound like a nagging partner, it does not help.

You seem to be going on abit yourself :smile: We know not everyone has made the same choices as you...as you have told us multiple times.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

You can’t really challenge it though.

you can whine and moan till your heart is content, but ultimately you will have to respect that others will not conform to your thought

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here