Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Defiant burger-flipper tells 'bullying' vegan activists to 'bring it on'

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You haven’t really responded to anything I said though have you. If you think that vegan activism starts and ends with ‘hedge monkeys’ it shows how little you know about veganism and the ideology behind it.

I apologise, I did edit to address your point. As I say, I attended Veg Fest last year and found the majority of the vegans to be passionate and pleasant people. Except this one fella that was being treated like a Messiah, people bringing their sickly children to him for healing. He were odd.

I don't agree with modern farming techniques but have no problem with animals being slaughtered for food.

I had a prawn salad today, made it myself. Not bad eh!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
That is their life choice and good luck to them but I still don't get why they feel the need to push their life choices on to others.

Well firstly it’s not about pushing it on to people, it’s about educating them and saying ‘hey, all the nutrition you get from meat can be found in plants, it’s better for the environment and no animals need to suffer for it’. At the end of the day the environmental reasons alone should be enough to make people think about their choice in diet. By reducing our meat consumption we could prevent the 2 degree rise in temperatures that would cause an environmental crisis around the world, seeing many species become extinct and the destruction of one of the world’s great beaties, the Great Barrier Reef. If pointing that out is ‘pushing’ my views on people then I despair.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the Troll Pantry man should put Dunk and Duffy in his mincer after tonight’s performance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
By reducing our meat consumption we could prevent the 2 degree rise in temperatures that would cause an environmental crisis around the world,

didnt we already avoid a 2 deg rise, or are we still working on that? or is this another 2 deg rise?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
didnt we already avoid a 2 deg rise, or are we still working on that? or is this another 2 deg rise?

It’s from the landmark study by UN in which the world’s leading scientists warned there are just a dozen years in which to keep global warming under 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods and extreme heat. This was published in October 2018. If you are referring to the aims set out in the Paris Agreement, we are failing quite as spectacularly as Brighton when defending a 2-0 lead.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well firstly it’s not about pushing it on to people, it’s about educating them and saying ‘hey, all the nutrition you get from meat can be found in plants, it’s better for the environment and no animals need to suffer for it’. At the end of the day the environmental reasons alone should be enough to make people think about their choice in diet. By reducing our meat consumption we could prevent the 2 degree rise in temperatures that would cause an environmental crisis around the world, seeing many species become extinct and the destruction of one of the world’s great beaties, the Great Barrier Reef. If pointing that out is ‘pushing’ my views on people then I despair.

Well you can try and educate me all you like but at the end of the day I've never had a plant that tastes as good as a steak.

And on that I'm off to bed. Please don't despair too much. Nunight.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Well you can try and educate me all you like but at the end of the day I've never had a plant that tastes as good as a steak.

And on that I'm off to bed. Please don't despair too much. Nunight.

If you put your own tastebuds ahead of a sentient being I won’t despair, I’ll simply pity you and your inability to think of beings other than yourself.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you put your own tastebuds in front of a sentient being I won’t despair, I’ll simply pity you and your inability to think of beings other than yourself.

It’s patronising posts like this that get people’s backs up. Hearts and minds weren’t won by such methods. Now hurry along and sort this cheese debacle out.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It’s patronising posts like this that get people’s backs up. Hearts and minds weren’t won by such methods. Now hurry along and sort this cheese debacle out.

What do you want me to say? Animals are sentient beings that feel pain. You wouldn’t eat your pet dog so why would you eat a cow? The only difference is your perception. If you know and accept that animals feel pain, can suffer and be treated appallingly but won’t stop eating them because they ‘taste good’ shows a total lack of empathy and a large amount of selfishness.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What do you want me to say? Animals are sentient beings that feel pain. You wouldn’t eat your pet dog so why would you eat a cow? The only difference is your perception. If you know and accept that animals feel pain, can suffer and be treated appallingly but won’t stop eating them because they ‘taste good’ shows a total lack of empathy and a large amount of selfishness.

It’s the expression of pity that doesn’t do you any favours.
You say you don’t push your beliefs on people yet you weaponise guilt.
I genuinely appreciate the concerns about the environment and mass farming techniques.
Do I feel bad about a cow being killed to provide food for humans? Can’t say it stirs much up in me to be honest so I guess I don’t really care.

I form a bond with my pets , like family. I should imagine most people would argue that the killing of a cow you have never clapped eyes on is very different indeed to killing your own dog and eating it.
A dog’s purpose in life is to provide companionship or labour. A cow’s is to provide meat and milk. Both serve their respective purposes very well. I’d no more slaughter my dog than I would have a cow in the house.

You’re a cliche.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What do you want me to say? Animals are sentient beings that feel pain.

if people start gnawing live animal you have a point. once dead, their sentience is a moo point. so the issue becomes about their treatment while alive, which varies, and by your own argument if treated well where is the harm?

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012

I'm not sure this view is really going to change 2.5 millions years of humans eating meat. If you convert every single person in Europe, it might make a little bit of difference to the climate change, but what the folks in China still eating their pet dog?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

You can preach all you like, but it is a lost cause.

At what stage will you accept people are not listening and finally shut up?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

As a dog owner, why not eat dog? I choose not to, but have no problem with the concept, or horses etc etc.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
K
It’s the expression of pity that doesn’t do you any favours.
You say you don’t push your beliefs on people yet you weaponise guilt.
I genuinely appreciate the concerns about the environment and mass farming techniques.
Do I feel bad about a cow being killed to provide food for humans? Can’t say it stirs much up in me to be honest so I guess I don’t really care.

I form a bond with my pets , like family. I should imagine most people would argue that the killing of a cow you have never clapped eyes on is very different indeed to killing your own dog and eating it.
A dog’s purpose in life is to provide companionship or labour. A cow’s is to provide meat and milk. Both serve their respective purposes very well. I’d no more slaughter my dog than I would have a cow in the house.

You’re a cliche.

Why wouldn’t I pity someone who lacks empathy towards other living creatures? If caring about animals makes me a ‘cliche’ vegan then you’re right. Both dog and cow feel pain and I wouldn’t inflict pain and suffering on my pets so why would I inflict pain and suffering on a cow? A cows purpose isn’t just to provide for human sustenance. The earth was made for all veins, not just human beings.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
if people start gnawing live animal you have a point. once dead, their sentience is a moo point. so the issue becomes about their treatment while alive, which varies, and by your own argument if treated well where is the harm?

But we know animals aren’t always treated well when alive don’t we. We also know animals are sometimes killed in the most horrific ways, the blending up of live male chicks for example. We also know that keeping cows in a sustained state of pregnancy in order to produce milk is cruel and causes unnecessary suffering. Not to mention that the mass breeding of animals is becoming increasingly harmful to our environment.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You can preach all you like, but it is a lost cause.

At what stage will you accept people are not listening and finally shut up?

It’s this attitude that breeds ignorance. If you yourself don’t wish to listen then it shows how closed minded you are. There is a whole host of scientific evidence that backs up all that I have said re the environment and just as much regarding the cruel ways in which animals are often kept in order to be slaughtered. If you refuse to acknowledge this because you don’t want to listen, it says far more about you and others than it does about me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here