Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Do I need to call a sparky?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My partner has a storage heater with a fused spur. It didn't come on last night. I tried to remove the fuse to change it this morning. The fuse holder came away without the fuse in it. The holder was brown (burned), and the fuse remained in the spur. I bought a new spur, and have wired it up. The old spur was also correctly wired. The old spur was slightly melted where the supply live connected to it, and quite melted around the fuse (this is why the fuse didn't come out at the start). 13A fuse in both old and new.

Do I put this down to an old and possibly dodgy spur (or possibly a dodgy storage heater - it's very old - could a dodgy storage heater cause this problem??), or do I call a sparky out to have a look?

Ta!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would say so. fuses holders dont generally melt as a rule, something is wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm currently praying to God, Allah and Vishnu that you're not Tony Bloom.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
i would say so. fuses holders dont generally melt as a rule, something is wrong.

This. Your heater could be shorting and caused the burn out. Defo get it checked out. Should only cost £50 or so to get it checked out. Could possibly cause a fire if there is an issue and it shorts again. Don't mess with it.

I've seen too many amateurs causing bigger problems by cutting corners. I trained as a sparks many years ago but no longer do it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks all. Checkatrade consulted and a suitably qualified chap with good reviews called.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This. Your heater could be shorting and caused the burn out. Defo get it checked out. Should only cost £50 or so to get it checked out. Could possibly cause a fire if there is an issue and it shorts again. Don't mess with it.

I've seen too many amateurs causing bigger problems by cutting corners. I trained as a sparks many years ago but no longer do it.

Ha. Taken the top off the storage heater. Where there should be a 176 degree thermal fuse, there is instead... tin foil! I think the heaters are vintage 1970s. "Suggested" to my partner that we change the spec of the job from "what's the matter with this circuit" to "please supply and install new storage heaters, checking the circuitry at the same time"...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ha. Taken the top off the storage heater. Where there should be a 176 degree thermal fuse, there is instead... tin foil! I think the heaters are vintage 1970s. "Suggested" to my partner that we change the spec of the job from "what's the matter with this circuit" to "please supply and install new storage heaters, checking the circuitry at the same time"...

If they are vintage 1970's then you should only ever use the foil from inside a pack of Players No6. You can't just use any old tin foil :rolleyes:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

We had similar to this, when first moved into our house.
Storage heater stopped working, only to find tin foil wrapped around a fuse in the box.
Called leckie mate in, together with ordering a brand new Dimplex storage heater....job done.
Frightening stuff really , what these cowboys get away with.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We had similar to this, when first moved into our house.
Storage heater stopped working, only to find tin foil wrapped around a fuse in the box.
Called leckie mate in, together with ordering a brand new Dimplex storage heater....job done.
Frightening stuff really , what these cowboys get away with.

Happy with the Dimplex? Rough cost please...?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Happy with the Dimplex? Rough cost please...?

Just found out our heater, although only 6 years old has been discontinued.
It is Dimplex Flx24i series A, which cost us around £400.
Very happy with it, as it's the only heater we have to heat our 1 bedroom hobbit house.
It's worth looking around for Dimplex online, as well as their main site, as you can get good deals.
A lot of the new ones aren't too bad, ranging up to £600.
Hope this helps.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Very happy with it, as it's the only heater we have to heat our 1 bedroom hobbit house.
It's worth looking around for Dimplex online, as well as their main site, as you can get good deals.
A lot of the new ones aren't too bad, ranging up to £600.
Hope this helps.

Thanks. Yep, it does! I need to find out what size(s) she’ll need.* at present, she has two, one in the sitting/dining room and one in her bedroom (1bed flat, c750 sq ft). I have no idea of the rating of her current units, so will be looking for a table telling me what KW I need to spec.

* usually large, of course.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You must have a very well insulated home if it only ever requires a single storage heater, which I presume must be able to draw power during the daytime as well. Surely you have a halogen heater in the bathroom as well?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You must have a very well insulated home if it only ever requires a single storage heater, which I presume must be able to draw power during the daytime as well. Surely you have a halogen heater in the bathroom as well?

House does stay very warm, no heater in bathroom, only two small convector heaters upstairs to compliment main heater if needed.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
A987814C-33BD-4DC1-B0F8-7549AFFB5F6C.jpeg

i think hes free at present so give him a call

Regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here