Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] For the golfers on here

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What do you think about these new rules?

We haven't adopted the " smack it in the woods and play three from where it goes in" nonsense, but we have adopted the " leave the flag in on the green"

I cannot get that rule and watching the Dubai tournament on TV DeChambeau was leaving the flag in on practically every hole it just looks bloody wrong! I have only once used it when putting downhill on a sloping green with the hope it stopped the ball...it didn't!

I think there should be a rule brought in that people who don't repair pitchmarks should have their hands cut off! That will learn them.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can I ask what you do instead of the 'play from where it went in' rule? Waste a load of time looking and then trudge back to the tee and annoy every one in your group and the following group by sticking another one in the woods??

Pros putting with the flag in looks weird.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Sod it..

tumblr_nbr7add3np1ry46hlo1_500.gif

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Can I ask what you do instead of the 'play from where it went in' rule? Waste a load of time looking and then trudge back to the tee and annoy every one in your group and the following group by sticking another one in the woods??

Immediately take a 2nd (3rd) off the tee, spend no more than 2 minutes looking for the 1st, if not found play the other one.
I wonder if a tiny chip in a golf ball has been invented with an app that locates a lost ball?
If not then it should be, ball manufacturers wouldn't be too happy.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Putting with the flag in will soon stop when one of the idiots hits the flag and it stays out. I always get the flag taken out or attended and if I’m chipping from around the green I take the flag out as I think it has a better chance of going in if the flag isn’t there. The one thing they should have sorted is being able to drop out of a divot on the fairway.

We aren’t using the smack it out and place it anywhere either, that will cause punch ups in club competitions if that’s ever put in place. Fair enough in casual play but not competitive play. Can’t believe anyone thought that was a good idea.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
In respect of the smack it where you like and drop one if you don't find anywhere in the vicinity under penalty - according to the R&A this was bought in to appease our American friends (USGA) as they wanted it.

However its not a specific rule of golf, it can only be bought in to your Club if they invoke and publish a local rule stating the applicable wording.

However CONGU have confirmed that any Qualifying Competitions will not be recognised as qualifiers if the Local Rule is bought in. Out Club is just ignoring it.......

Flagstick in - I'm using it for anything 20ft plus - whether it helps or not, I don't know, just easier for me to line up. And tbh tapping in from a couple of inches when you've left the flag in for your first putt does save time if all in the group do the same (which most don't lol)

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I think both changes are all part of speeding up play. With regards to a chip in the ball to help locate it, has been tried and failed due to the compression of the ball caused by the club on impact kept destroying the chip. As you also mention if you dont lose it theres no need to buy another.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Anything which speeds up play works for me.

Was playing a casual round on Sunday afternoon with a mate. Got to the 1st green where we could people waiting around on the 2nd tee. It was obvious that there was a really slow group ahead of them.

We were only playing 9 holes so cut across to the 11th where it was less busy. The fairway runs alongside the 3rd. The slowies were still faffing around on the green when we got to the 13th.

Drives me bloody nuts.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Aren’t you meant to be playing four from where it goes in? It’s a two stroke penalty.

Yes sorry 4.... but as I said we haven't adopted that one as a local rule exemption.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Normally you play 3 off the tee for example taking a provisional, and them wander off to look for your first ball, which we tend to give it 3 minutes ...if we can't see it, you play your provisional or pick up!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Normally you play 3 off the tee for example taking a provisional, and them wander off to look for your first ball, which we tend to give it 3 minutes ...if we can't see it, you play your provisional or pick up!

That's fine when know you have stuck the first one way into the shrubbery. However, what about the one that you expected to find but must have gone down a rabbit hole?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Every hole should have a time mark on it, i.e. Hole 2 should have 12 - 15mins, this is the time limit for teeing off, i.e. not penalising, at the moment, but just making people aware of the time band they should be within. It's so frustrating when you're not waved through and some t**t is aimlessly pushing grass around in the woods, from the moment you leave the fairway you have 90 secs, find it or f*** off ... as you can see I'm not getting angry about this, although I also think courses should supply snipers to enforce the rule.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's fine when know you have stuck the first one way into the shrubbery. However, what about the one that you expected to find but must have gone down a rabbit hole?

Again, same thing. Quick look and play on. We have problems at brighton and Hove with birds, rabbits, deer, moles....bloody nature...messing with our manicured railways and greens. Not to mention the little darlings riding their bikes in bunkers!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Biggest change at our club has been the adoption of ready golf. This really does speed up play.

What is this ready golf you speak of?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Every hole should have a time mark on it, i.e. Hole 2 should have 12 - 15mins, this is the time limit for teeing off, i.e. not penalising, at the moment, but just making people aware of the time band they should be within. It's so frustrating when you're not waved through and some t**t is aimlessly pushing grass around in the woods, from the moment you leave the fairway you have 90 secs, find it or f*** off ... as you can see I'm not getting angry about this, although I also think courses should supply snipers to enforce the rule.

Or man traps in the rough...that would stop people hitting it in there. Couple of lost limbs would learn them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here