Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Is that the one in Harris arcade? I have no interest in records but seems like a nice shop whenever I've been past to get my hair cut.

Yep that’s the one, don’t go in there as you may end up buying something, then needed that buy a player, then become slightly obsessed. :wink::

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In terms of romanticism and aesthetics I'd agree that they can't compete with vinyl, but pre-recorded cassettes were even worse and they are already increasing in value now that people are looking back to the Walkmans of their youth. It may take a couple of decades, but there will be a market for CDs. In the meantime, they are doing a good job annoying my and Trufflehound's wives. As Norman Stanley Fletcher said: 'Little victories.'

“... even worse ...”. Do you mean cassettes are even worse than vinyl?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't know about expecting a skip. If I had all of the Eagles albums, I'd be hiring a skip.

......Boom tsh... I'm here all week folks. (Ironically, I checked out, but can never leave).

Really? Desperado is a genius album IMHO. Saturday night is a superb rock track!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Beocenter 2000.

Great sound and pride of place in my living room. It sounds fantastic.

Best £90 I think I’ve ever spent

This system was made during B&O's rather turbulent times when they were outsourcing to a Japanese manufacturer around 1980. Thankfully the turntable and stylus are 'proper' B&O and the cartridge/pickup you have should be an MMC20S? 'S' stands for 'Spherical' which relates to the diamond, which is the standard level range and will be just fine. Make sure you clean it now and again as when gunk builds up you wouldn't believe the difference it makes to the sound.

Speakers should be the S35, which are actually bloody good speakers! The 2000 was a 'budget' system, but the accompanying speakers certainly weren't :)

If you want to upgrade your stylus, look for the MMC20CL. If you can find one cheaply, they're amazing. :thumbsup:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This system was made during B&O's rather turbulent times when they were outsourcing to a Japanese manufacturer around 1980. Thankfully the turntable and stylus are 'proper' B&O and the cartridge/pickup you have should be an MMC20S? 'S' stands for 'Spherical' which relates to the diamond, which is the standard level range and will be just fine. Make sure you clean it now and again as when gunk builds up you wouldn't believe the difference it makes to the sound.

Speakers should be the S35, which are actually bloody good speakers! The 2000 was a 'budget' system, but the accompanying speakers certainly weren't :)

If you want to upgrade your stylus, look for the MMC20CL. If you can find one cheaply, they're amazing. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Yep - Speakers are the S35. Really interesting what you say about the turntable - the sound is brilliant. The radio and tape deck aren’t great - but I never use them!

I’ll be sure to check out the stylus - the current one gets a lot of hammer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
“... even worse ...”. Do you mean cassettes are even worse than vinyl?

No, worse than CDs. They have even smaller sleeves and they degrade over time. I recently got out an old cassette of Talking Heads' 77 with the intent of digitally recording it. The tape player ate it. It also ate 'Blood on The Tracks', which I subsequently found on CD for less than a quid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have you still got all your vinyls from pre Canada?

Everything. All the punk singles in picture sleves. All the prog rock albums. The first Clash album singed by Joe Strummer ....

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I never really wandered far from vinyl, bought my regal planar 3 in '93, have recently whittled albums down to 6-700, still have all the singles and albums I had as a kid, 2-tone new wave post punk etc, lots of 60's soul, psych etc. A lot of it was produced for vinyl and just sounds 'right' that way. I taught my son vinyl respect at the age of 5 and got him a little record player and a few records when he was 8. Everything's safe.

I lobbied the band to release our album on vinyl and cd. We've sold very similar quantities of both.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No, worse than CDs. They have even smaller sleeves and they degrade over time. I recently got out an old cassette of Talking Heads' 77 with the intent of digitally recording it. The tape player ate it. It also ate 'Blood on The Tracks', which I subsequently found on CD for less than a quid.

You probably need to do some work on the player. Make sure the pinch roller isn't gummy and replace if it is is, check the belts are still tensioned and non sticky etc. This is what usually degrades badly and quicker, not the tape.

New tape players are shit, particularly if you want to play back tapes recorded with Dolby as the rarely if ever have Dolby circuitry,

New pre-recorded tapes that are reappearing are usually Dolby-less also. People will willingly accept awful stuff for nostalgia sometimes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Actually, while we're all here, I could do with a recommendation for my next vinyl player. Budget is probably £250-600 at a push.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You probably need to do some work on the player. Make sure the pinch roller isn't gummy and replace if it is is, check the belts are still tensioned and non sticky etc. This is what usually degrades badly and quicker, not the tape.

New tape players are shit, particularly if you want to play back tapes recorded with Dolby as the rarely if ever have Dolby circuitry,

New pre-recorded tapes that are reappearing are usually Dolby-less also. People will willingly accept awful stuff for nostalgia sometimes.

The stereo I bought for digitalising stuff had a fairly decent tape player with a Dolby option. The turntable sound was tinny and awful though. I have to put all vinyl recordings through Audacity to get anything approaching a decent sound, so have ended up just buying cheap CDs of albums I already own on vinyl, just to get a half decent digital copy.

Tape does degrade, but everything has it's upside. The fact that it degrades means that it can be used to make things like this (You need an hour and the right frame of mind):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnAE5go9dI

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Actually, while we're all here, I could do with a recommendation for my next vinyl player. Budget is probably £250-600 at a push.

I enjoy my Project Essential 2 I am just about to replace the Cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Red as I have had it for a couple of years so the stylus could probably do with replacing so I going for this to upgrade from the Ortofon OM5e - MM that it came with.

The new version

Project Essential 3 comes in about £239 from richer sounds and comes with the upgraded Ortofon OM 10 - MM cartridge.

Project Debut Carbon is around £349 comes with the cartridge i am about to put on turntable the Ortofon 2M Red and a carbon tone arm. (very nice)

These turntable all had 5 stars in What HiFi

They are manual turntables so you have to do put the needle on the record yourself, the speed changing 33-1/3 RPM, 45 RPM is manual by moving the belt between the smaller and bigger cogs and they do not stop rotating until you switch them off. So they can not be left alone near the end of a record otherwise the needle just sits in the middle going around and around.

I love my turntable the sound is really good and I do not mind the manual aspect of it.

The other ones I have heard people recommend is the Audio Technical LP120 lots of reviews on Youtube I think this a more automated record player for about £200.

Here is a video that describes these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrEb___fko

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I enjoy my Project Essential 2 I am just about to replace the Cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Red as I have had it for a couple of years so the stylus could probably do with replacing so I going for this to upgrade from the Ortofon OM5e - MM that it came with.

The new version

Project Essential 3 comes in about £239 from richer sounds and comes with the upgraded Ortofon OM 10 - MM cartridge.

Project Debut Carbon is around £349 comes with the cartridge i am about to put on turntable the Ortofon 2M Red and a carbon tone arm. (very nice)

These turntable all had 5 stars in What HiFi

They are manual turntables so you have to do put the needle on the record yourself, the speed changing 33-1/3 RPM, 45 RPM is manual by moving the belt between the smaller and bigger cogs and they do not stop rotating until you switch them off. So they can not be left alone near the end of a record otherwise the needle just sits in the middle going around and around.

I love my turntable the sound is really good and I do not mind the manual aspect of it.

The other ones I have heard people recommend is the Audio Technical LP120 lots of reviews on Youtube I think this a more automated record player for about £200.

Here is a video that describes these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrEb___fko

Superb, really informative and helpful.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here