Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember buying on the border by the Eagles in 74 took it back after two plays because it jumped on one track, even now playing the CD I wait for the track to jump, weird.

I have an AWB album that did the same. Can't listen to it on Apple Music without expecting a skip

gordycom

Mar 17, 2013
Brighton
I also love vinyl! I would recommend checking out Low's new album "Double Negative" the deliberate distortion in the build up of each track is just amazing on vinyl, it sounds so much richer than when I play it on spotify or any digital format.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Just had to catalog my stepdad’s collection 800 jazz albums/eps/78s. He can’t play them anymore but at least I’ve found a buyer for all bar the 78s.
The missus and I have been sitting on our old vinyl for years and I bought a turntable to transfer it to digital - bit of a waste of time really as It’s not that expensive to either buy the cd versions second hand or download from tinternet. Thought about flogging off the vinyl but, like the old footie programmes, it’s a hard call.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just had to catalog my stepdad’s collection 800 jazz albums/eps/78s. He can’t play them anymore but at least I’ve found a buyer for all bar the 78s.
The missus and I have been sitting on our old vinyl for years and I bought a turntable to transfer it to digital - bit of a waste of time really as It’s not that expensive to either buy the cd versions second hand or download from tinternet. Thought about flogging off the vinyl but, like the old footie programmes, it’s a hard call.

Don’t flog it. You’ll regret it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d say about 80% of the 30-40 albums I buy a year are now vinyl.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I sold all mine off last year on E bay. The best price was Electric Ladyland for£165 and I sent it to Russia (with love).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup, I'm a Spotify and vinyl guy. Spotify is a great way to "try before you buy", along with numerous websites, blogs, local record shops etc.

Having all music digital means missing out on the tangible qualities that physical media provides, the artwork, the ritual of choosing and album and putting it on.

It also forced you to listen to albums in order, the way the band intended. I know people who always listen to albums on shuffle and this baffles me. The band have usually spent ages carefully curating a tracklisting to make a logical progression, sometimes of narrative, usually of dynamic peaks and troughs, and to just ignore this always means you won't appreciate the full quality of an album, in my opinion.

A vinyl hobby isn't cheap though, and so I have to limit my purchases to albums that I really love, but that then means I treasure my collection all the more.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
My 14 year old daughter asked for a turn table and some vinyl for Christmas - I had no idea she even knew what they were! Despite all the other options she has for accessing music, she loves it. Great to see. Hope she takes better care of her albums than I did!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Do you still buy CDs? If so, why?

I do. Three reasons:

1) It's cheap fun looking for what you can find without knowing what you want in charity and junk shops. I bought cheap vinyl when everyone wanted CDs, cheap cassettes when they went out of fashion. I'm now buying CDs for next to nothing.
2) At some point half of the people getting rid of CDs now will be looking to replace them when they become fashionable again. They probably won't ever be as collectible as vinyl, but there will be a demand. My daughter has recently paid through the nose for a vinyl copy of Pulp's 'Different Class'. I tried to point out to her that this was not an album that anyone bought on vinyl in the first place. Years into the future people will end up wanting the format that they first bought a record on and with the 90s-2000s that is the CD. These are antiques of the future. The new vinyl copies of old albums that are being made now will be the equivalent of Woolworth's 'Nice Price' range.
3) Spotify is all very well for listening to music, but you can't keep piles of it everywhere to irritate my wife.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you still buy CDs? If so, why?

Occasionally. I bought a couple of Nobody CDs at their gig as this was all they had. And over Xmas I bought a bunch in Resident as I was travelling and didn’t want to lug 7 vinyl albums around Europe. I also buy Rough Trade album of the month on CD just because I always have. Otherwise it’s vinyl.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yup, I'm a Spotify and vinyl guy.

Same here although I use Spotify as my digital version of the album. I only listen to stuff I have bought or intend to buy.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I sold all mine off last year on E bay. The best price was Electric Ladyland for £165 and I sent it to Russia (with love).

Cool. I’ve got Axis Bold as Love and an original Kinks Village Green PSoc. The missus has the 1963/4/5/6 Beatles Fan Club Christmas singles. Think they might be worth a few quid but ........ Herr T advises against selling. I think it’s good advice.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
3) Spotify is all very well for listening to music, but you can't keep piles of it everywhere to irritate my wife.

This. Sort of.

(All right, so maybe I don't keep piles of CDs everywhere to irritate your wife specifically, but you get my drift...)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I went back to vinyl about 2 years ago and buy only vinyl, unless there isn't a choice. I loved my Ariston Q deck back in the day, but I'm now the happy owner of an Elipson Omega. My 13 year old son bought his first turntable yesterday - a wooden Ion with built-in speakers and the other two (sons) are interested in this development. Like the rest of us, they love having the physical LP, the lyric sheets and other inserts and the whole ritual on putting the needle on the record. Expensive hobby, but, for me, definitely worth it.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
93C320D2-5974-4F96-8CF6-BEC486816397.JPG

My home set-up. Audio Technics and Reloop decks, Cambridge amp, Numark mixer and Warfdale speakers.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Buy the odd album, only stuff I'd listen to end to end (albeit with one or three trips up to change sides/records) still and have a decent amount of 12" singles from when I used to DJ - until about 2006 some stuff I'd want was only released on 12" with possibly a CD of the radio edit. I still buy the majority of my music on physical formats and most of it is still CD.

Of the modern cheap turntables, most of the suitcase ones are very poor (but nowhere near as poor as you'll get told on enthusiast sites) but the Audio Technica ones are fine really. Sound better if you have an external pre-amp or one built in to a decent amp rather than the one built in to the turntable though.

edit: and Spotify gets played through a Chromecast Audio on a spare input on the amp. Need to turn off the companding setting that is oddly turned on by default or else it sounds like you're listening on a mobile phone. Pity they've withdrawn the Audio model.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Occasionally. I bought a couple of Nobody CDs at their gig as this was all they had. And over Xmas I bought a bunch in Resident as I was travelling and didn’t want to lug 7 vinyl albums around Europe. I also buy Rough Trade album of the month on CD just because I always have. Otherwise it’s vinyl.

Understood on "all they had". I have that with a few smaller bands, and treasure those CDs as I know I couldn't get them again if anything happened to em.

Re: Traveling, why would you not go towards Spotify or some streaming service in that instance? Every song in the world, in the palm of your hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here