Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
That looks interesting. I guess you still have to have the flat surface space (preferably dust free- so not the floor!) to put it on - but it tucks away neatly when not in use?
Yes I will have to clean the record after, but I got a bit excited to try it out.

But if you don’t have much space it has Bluetooth out and built in rechargeable battery so can be put anywhere and sounds good through decent headphones.

Surprisingly good sound quality and very well made.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes I will have to clean the record after, but I got a bit excited to try it out.

But if you don’t have much space it has Bluetooth out and built in rechargeable battery so can be put anywhere and sounds good through decent headphones.

My local secondhand bookshop has loads of secondhand vinyl for sale now. Quite pricey - but I work there occasionally, so might be able to listen to them in the shop itself. I might suggest they get one of these so folk can listen before buying.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My local secondhand bookshop has loads of secondhand vinyl for sale now. Quite pricey - but I work there occasionally, so might be able to listen to them in the shop itself. I might suggest they get one of these so folk can listen before buying.
That would be perfect use for it. People buy them to take to record fairs to check before buying expensive records.

This chap goes in to detail about them

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Oh no!

That’s a gadget I have to have. I have no need for it, but I want one.

How can I justify it to Mrs H?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Picked up Physical Graffiti (Led Zep) the other day for very cheap. It has a slight warp in one of the 2 discs.

Anyone got any advice?

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
While we're talking Vinyl Ive decided to upgrade my stylus (on Technics 1210s) from an ortofon concorde to try and improve sound quality. Anyone have any good recommendations?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
While we're talking Vinyl Ive decided to upgrade my stylus (on Technics 1210s) from an ortofon concorde to try and improve sound quality. Anyone have any good recommendations?
I really liked the ortofon 2M blue (£189) on my Technics turntable, I didn't like the 2M red (£90) but others do. I have also tried nagaoka MP110 (£150), Goldring E3 (£89) and a Audio Technica VM95E (£45). The 2M blue is the most expensive out of these but to my ears at least it sounded the best.

I currently use a 2M black (£550) and that sounds really good as would hope at that price. It's all very subjective and what sounds good to one person may not be for another. None of the cartridges that tried I would say were bad apart from the 2M red, which had bad sibilance.

You will also need a headshell :)

Apr 29, 2012
Picked up Physical Graffiti (Led Zep) the other day for very cheap. It has a slight warp in one of the 2 discs.

Anyone got any advice?
Some record shops offer a 'flattening service' via a machine the warms up the record and presses it a the same time, no guarantee of success but can be worth a go if it's a valuable record.........I think for example Music Mania in Crescent Road Worthing offer this, £5 from memory?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some record shops offer a 'flattening service' via a machine the warms up the record and presses it a the same time, no guarantee of success but can be worth a go if it's a valuable record.........I think for example Music Mania in Crescent Road Worthing offer this, £5 from memory?
Nice shout, I know MM, will take it when I'm next in Worthing.

Also I appreciate your username, reminds me of happy times.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yes, they do and it's a fiver. It very much depends what sort of warp it is as to how effectively it can improve it. If it's a mild edge warp where the stylus just rides up and down each time, it's likely it will be able to improve it. If it's the sort of 'ripple' warp where the stylus is thrown sideways causing it to jump ... they're almost impossible to correct.

If the stylus still plays through the warp OK and the audio sounds all right, I'd leave it be.

If it causes the stylus to jump, and it appears to be a mild edge warp one thing you can do is pop a 1p or a 5p on top of the stylus and see if that helps it play through.

If I have one very expensive Vertigo spiral prog record with a warp - it was improved slightly by putting it through a record shop machine, but I've now got it to play through fine by delicately balancing a small balsa wood model of a ship on the stylus. It weighs about 1g and makes all the difference.
Bit mad I know, but needs must :LOL:

IMG_8831.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I really liked the ortofon 2M blue (£189) on my Technics turntable, I didn't like the 2M red (£90) but others do. I have also tried nagaoka MP110 (£150), Goldring E3 (£89) and a Audio Technica VM95E (£45). The 2M blue is the most expensive out of these but to my ears at least it sounded the best.

I currently use a 2M black (£550) and that sounds really good as would hope at that price. It's all very subjective and what sounds good to one person may not be for another. None of the cartridges that tried I would say were bad apart from the 2M red, which had bad sibilance.

You will also need a headshell :)
Are those prices just for the stylus - the little needle bit??! Blimey.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I spaffed some money last year after 20 years with the same gear, and have now gone MC on my new Rega, with their Phono stage, it is quite something. I was amazed.

I have some Audio technica fake 1210's in the man cave which could do with better cartridge/stylus, there are plenty of good online reviews as well as ozzy gulls (good) summary .

as for vinyl, today I'm listening to the Saints . . . And Rezillos albums. Both crackers.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I gave all the albums I had growing up to a charity shop about 20 years ago, so I have had to buy them back again. Oops
I "sold" all my vinyl to a music shop in Brighton in 2003 before we moved here. I got a measly amount for them but really regret it now. I still have 250 CDs which I shipped here but hardly ever play them as I use Spotify mostly.
I would love to play LPs again though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I "sold" all my vinyl to a music shop in Brighton in 2003 before we moved here. I got a measly amount for them but really regret it now. I still have 250 CDs which I shipped here but hardly ever play them as I use Spotify mostly.
Smug git alert

I kept all mine, and amazingly all the new wave 2 tone etc is still in really god nick. I think thanks to my parents letting me playt records as a kid, but teaching me how to handle them . . . . I've always bought records and still do . . . Hoovered up loads in the early 90's when people were giving them away at car boots . . .good ones, not James Last !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My single biggest regret in life as well. I started a program some years ago to replace them all. I have most of them now.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My Onkyo amplifier has kicked the bucket after 10 years, I think Richer Sounds offer a repair service so I am going to give them a ring but is there anywhere else locally that would have a look at it?

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
In a fit of subhuman rage my then wife took a large chunk of my vinyl collection too the council tip ...
Happily she's been my ex wife for 20+ years and I've rebuilt a fair selection of past glories minus some genuine rarities , mainly African i e The Mali Rail Band .

Nothing particularly high end sound gear wise , but as some of my records sound like they were recorded in a barn it's a burden I'll carry.
Ps , has anyone else had their children ask them to mark the valuable records ' because after you die we want to sell them ' ?? A tad deflating tbh .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here