Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Has anyone else returned and found pleasure of listening to vinyl LPs again. I am not a audiophile as I am not sure what that is. But my husband bought me a record player a couple of years ago for Christmas “Pro-ject Essential 2” after I picked up a mint copy of foxtrot by Genesis becuse I love the Album, I had it already on CD but there was something special about the textured sleeve that made me buy it even though I didn’t have anything to play it on.

Since then I have purchased a number of albums and just love the ritual of putting on a physical peice of music that you have to be careful with. I actually really listen to it, rather then when I play some of the hundreds song on my phone to the Bluetooth devices it more background music.

My daughter after seeing “bohemian rhapsody” bought a queen Album so I managed to find a working second hand Aiwa px-e850k from the 90s on eBay. After replacing the stylus it worked a treat, it’s fully automated and has a built in pre-amp. She has bought a few records since and enjoys it.

I don’t care if you have £20 bush all in one suitcase type from Argos or a Linn record player, however you enjoy listening is cool.

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this. I did a search and didn’t spot anything.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I got lucky in looking after my large collection of vinyl bought all the way from my Primary School years up to the mid 90’s. I’ve played it on and off throughout, but with a new lease of life when my Technics deck from circa 1981 finally broke, so I bought a Rega Planar One. I still play vinyl now ... the sound seems richer. Have recently been playing Roxy, Doors, trance, Euro beat, Cure.

Bohemian Rhapsody I think was my first purchase!

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I never really stopped. I never liked cds much (although I do have a fair mini disc collection). My records were in the loft while my kids were toddlers as they caused carnage and I thought they were better off out of the way.

I have started collecting again and the resurgence in popularity means that there are lots to choose from. It also means it is harder to find bargains in charity and second hand shops.

I love the ritual of taking out vinyl and getting it ready to play. I also appreciate the subtle majesty of a well ordered album.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes - I love it.

Bought myself a second hand Bang & Olufsen turntable a couple of years ago and have been slowly adding to my collection since. There’s something very aesthetic about searching through album collection to find something to play.

It just sounds way better and I’ve had a lot of pleasure searching out deleted albums from obscure 80s artists. Found Danielle Dax - Inky Bloaters, the other day.

And Resident in Kensington Gardens is lethal.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I got lucky in looking after my large collection of vinyl bought all the way from my Primary School years up to the mid 90’s. I’ve played it on and off throughout, but with new lease of life when my Technics deck from circa 1981 finally broke, so I bought a Rega Planar One. I still play vinyl now ... the sound seems richer. Have recently been playing Roxy, Doors, trance, Euro beat, Cure.

Bohemian Rhapsody I think was my first purchase!

I gave all the albums I had growing up to a charity shop about 20 years ago, so I have had to buy them back again. Oops

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I’m currently collecting as many of the John Peel Strange Fruit sessions as I can. Originally on vinyl these 12 inch e.ps are a true reflection of what the great man was playing late seventies to eighties.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Got back into playing them in a big way a couple of years ago after buying a second hand record player. Then came adding amps and upgrading speakers. Happy with it now. Wife and I had a good collection of old Lps from our teenage years in the 70’s. However many were unplayable. Since buying a Project record cleaner I’ve been able to clean up most of them to a good standard.
Had great fun buying LP’s mostly originals as I’ve found reissues to be mostly substandard, although some exceptions.
Discogs app is a great resource and buyers playground. The Steve Hoffman forum has a lot of good info.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just wish 180g albums had been about in the 70s rather than the wafer thin ones due to the oil shortage.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Got back into playing them in a big way a couple of years ago after buying a second hand record player. Then came adding amps and upgrading speakers. Happy with it now. Wife and I had a good collection of old Lps from our teenage years in the 70’s. However many were unplayable. Since buying a Project record cleaner I’ve been able to clean up most of them to a good standard.
Had great fun buying LP’s mostly originals as I’ve found reissues to be mostly substandard, although some exceptions.
Discogs app is a great resource and buyers playground.

I am lucky we have have a really good second hand record shop in Reading its been there for many years. The people who run it seem to do it for love, none of their records are over priced and normally in great condition. Going in there reminds me of when I spent many hours in The Wax Factor while I was at Brighton college

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Has anyone else returned and found pleasure of listening to vinyl LPs again. I am not a audiophile as I am not sure what that is. But my husband bought me a record player a couple of years ago for Christmas “Pro-ject Essential 2” after I picked up a mint copy of foxtrot by Genesis becuse I love the Album, I had it already on CD but there was something special about the textured sleeve that made me buy it even though I didn’t have anything to play it on.

Since then I have purchased a number of albums and just love the ritual of putting on a physical peice of music that you have to be careful with. I actually really listen to it, rather then when I play some of the hundreds song on my phone to the Bluetooth devices it more background music.

My daughter after seeing “bohemian rhapsody” bought a queen Album so I managed to find a working second hand Aiwa px-e850k from the 90s on eBay. After replacing the stylus it worked a treat, it’s fully automated and has a built in pre-amp. She has bought a few records since and enjoys it.

I don’t care if you have £20 bush all in one suitcase type from Argos or a Linn record player, however you enjoy listening is cool.

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this. I did a search and didn’t spot anything.

Nice turntable, I’m still using a Sony deck my folks bought in around 1978, it has a nice SME tone arm now, and I play it through an old Creek amplifier, sounds smashing, Looking out for some nice vintage speakers.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Top thread.

Naturally I have a totally vintage system - a mother blaster of an Hitachi 1976ish silverface amp, with two HUGE HItachi circa 1978 speakers... fed by my quartz Hitachi TT and circa 1990 Panasonic CD player.

I have approx 1000 LPs from Vertigo swirls to modern stuff from bands like Horisont et al.

Vinyl is awesome but should be played and enjoyed, not kept in an oxygen tent in a vault... it feels great, looks great, even smells great... I love it.

Cds too are still brilliant, this very eve I was listening to Graphite extol the virtues of Chestnut Loke. Oh yes.

https://youtu.be/QCgnD8-BEQs

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Interesting thread. I too have retired recently, but only played a little vinyl. Virtually throughout my vinyl buying life, i.e. 60's to 90's, I had a Bush Arena HiFi purchased in 1973. Garrard SP25 deck, integrated amplifier and Bush branded Wharfedale speakers. It retired to the loft in the 90's with the advent of CDs and finally met it's end at the Burgess Hill tip in 2013 in our last house move, albeit with a heavy heart on my part. I kept almost all my albums though which were kept in a converted blanket chest until we moved. A few, which didn't make the cut are still in the chest, in the garage and wrapped in a bubble wrap blanket. It's a cold garage and I haven't been able to face checking them. However the 98 LPs in the house are my musical memories of my life and I have a adequate retro GPO branded record player to give them a spin from time to time. A Question of Balance by The Moody Blues in the envelope sleeve from Boots in Western Road, my first venture into serious music. Deja Vu by CSNY - I saw them at Wembley on the 74 stadium tour, arguably the first tour of it's type. Led Zep 3 featuring the wheel and Physical Graphiti with it's fabulous double cover. With the Beatles still evokes memories of the sound, smell and Hornby Dublo 'Golden Fleece' loco (I still have it) and train set with papier mache mountains I had that same Christmas. Stand Up by Jethro Tull with the pop up figures of the band inside. Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) with all the 12'' photographs of the band inside inside. Paul McCartney - Live in Russia. I also have all my 45's. Only 60 odd, so like the albums, everyone a priceless memory. However, they are a time machine. They take me back through my life to days and events when I bought them, listened to them, family and friends now gone, different times and places. I love the feel, the smell of the vinyl, the slip covers with adverts, the sleeve notes. Every one a personal historical artefact. But I won't dilute the collection with new stuff. I can buy whatever music I like in whatever format I like and it just doesn't hold the same value as the albums I saved for, received as Christmas and Birthday presents or other special moments. Apart from one. My signed and framed copy of Terraplane by Steve Earle which holds a special place on the wall in the downstairs cloakroom:thumbsup: Thanks for listening.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yep, I kept all my old 70/80s LPs and just love them.
Sadly my deck has gone crappy so looking for a new one.
Can't wait to start playing the vinyl again.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Interesting thread. I too have retired recently, but only played a little vinyl. Virtually throughout my vinyl buying life, i.e. 60's to 90's, I had a Bush Arena HiFi purchased in 1973. Garrard SP25 deck, integrated amplifier and Bush branded Wharfedale speakers. It retired to the loft in the 90's with the advent of CDs and finally met it's end at the Burgess Hill tip in 2013 in our last house move, albeit with a heavy heart on my part. I kept almost all my albums though which were kept in a converted blanket chest until we moved. A few, which didn't make the cut are still in the chest, in the garage and wrapped in a bubble wrap blanket. It's a cold garage and I haven't been able to face checking them. However the 98 LPs in the house are my musical memories of my life and I have a adequate retro GPO branded record player to give them a spin from time to time. A Question of Balance by The Moody Blues in the envelope sleeve from Boots in Western Road, my first venture into serious music. Deja Vu by CSNY - I saw them at Wembley on the 74 stadium tour, arguably the first tour of it's type. Led Zep 3 featuring the wheel and Physical Graphiti with it's fabulous double cover. With the Beatles still evokes memories of the sound, smell and Hornby Dublo 'Golden Fleece' loco (I still have it) and train set with papier mache mountains I had that same Christmas. Stand Up by Jethro Tull with the pop up figures of the band inside. Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) with all the 12'' photographs of the band inside inside. Paul McCartnet - Live in Russia. I also have all my 45's. Only 60 odd, so like the albums, everyone a priceless memory. However, they are a time machine. They take me back through my life to days and events when I bought them, listened to them, family and friends now gone, different times and places. I love the feel, the smell of the vinyl, the slip covers with adverts, the sleeve notes. Every one a personal historical artefact. But I won't dilute the collection with new stuff. I can buy whatever music I like in whatever format I like and it just doesn't hold the same value as the albums I saved for, received as Christmas and Birthday presents or other special moments. Apart from one. My signed and framed copy of Terraplane by Steve Earle which holds a special place on the wall in the downstairs cloakroom:thumbsup: Thanks for listening.

My first system was the Bush Arena and Garrard deck. All my mates derided as they were buying Sony and similar. It was all I could afford then but I bet I got more enjoyment than them. A few years later got a good bonus at work and bought a Bang and Olufsen in their sale. Happy Days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m currently collecting as many of the John Peel Strange Fruit sessions as I can. Originally on vinyl these 12 inch e.ps are a true reflection of what the great man was playing late seventies to eighties.

There is a great site where you can download hundreds of JP progs......easily searchable :thumbsup:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

'Sadly' or an opportunity. I didn't want to get in to the whole Audiophile thing, so oddly I get enormous pleasure from my 'record player' and still use a cleaning brush before placing the needle carefully in the groove.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Cottage (records) near the Dome. Happy days.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Lots of choice out there now in many prices ranges The Aiwa one I bought for my daughter can be picked up for about £30-£40 on eBay it is practically the same as the audio technica lp60 that is on sale for £79 in curry’s. The stylus’s that is in that one is the one I purchase for the Aiwa. The other end of the scale is a Linn Klimax LP12 at an eye watering £18,670. There are many in between these two extremes so I am sure you will get something you are happy with and enjoy your vinyl once again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here