Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I just purchased a Audio technica LP3 to replace the Aiwa turntable I bought second hand for my daughter. Despite replacing the belt the Aiwa had developed speed instability issues. She liked the fully automatic features of the Aiwa and an Audio Technica LP60 would be a direct replacement, but wanted to see if there was something a little bit better as she has now proved her getting in to vinyl was not a fad.

I’ve been really impressed with the LP3, it’s a clear improvement over the Aiwa. There is more to set up, as it has an adjustable counter weight and anti skate settings. but it is still fully automatic. For the £160 I paid it seems really good value. I would definitely recommend this if you are planning to get back in to vinyl. Especially if your eyes sight is no longer great the automatic features take some of the worry away.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've got an old semi auto belt drive Technics deck in my workshop, that has fluctuating speeds, I believe down to old capacitors . . .they need replacing as they leak when they get old apparently.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I've got an old semi auto belt drive Technics deck in my workshop, that has fluctuating speeds, I believe down to old capacitors . . .they need replacing as they leak when they get old apparently.

This is gonna sound like an ad but if you ever want to get your Technics repaired (or owt else turntable-wise), look up Decknician. Local fella, picked up my knackered old 1210s and sorted them right out.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is gonna sound like an ad but if you ever want to get your Technics repaired (or owt else turntable-wise), look up Decknician. Local fella, picked up my knackered old 1210s and sorted them right out.

Thanks, will do. I only paid peanuts for it, primarily for my workshop, now possibly for my son.

BoT, I've been tidying up our music room, decluttering, ditching a load of CD's and listening to loads of records, testing speakers . . . . Fished a pair of 1970 (ish) Tannoy monitor golds out of my step dads loft. Wow! I forgot how good they are.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Read 'A Fabulous Creation - how the LP saved our lives' by David Hepworth.

Thanks. I will try to do just that as I really enjoyed his essays on the LP.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I found this very useful in setting up my turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-aIDwfrhc

I had to use a video like that because when I got the Project turntable I had no idea about antiskate, cartridge alignment, or tracking force.

This is the first stereo (philips f1463) I bought myself when I was 16. Got it in Dixon’s or Comets on Western Road. It was the best I could afford after working all summer in a hotel. It was on the shelf between the own brands and the more expensive Sonys etc I loved it and still had it when I left home.

I can see now it had a very basic turntable and ceramic cartridge that looks similar to the suitcase turntable. There was definitely no set up to be done. I find it funny when “audiophiles” tell kids they are ruining their records because of the ceramic cartridge in the suitcase turntable, when there is a high chance that if you are buying a second hand album from the 80s It was probably played on a stereo like this.

087E81C7-19A0-4411-A975-683139249212.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I just bought this Audio Technica to replace my very old Sherwood. The difference in sound is staggering, it has given me a new lease if life in terms of records. A rush of blood to the head saw me buy about 10 new records to go with it.

All sound amazing.

I am going to spend this afternoon setting up my system and reorganising my collection.

b2396a41e6b404e18edd69d14caff061.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I just bought this Audio Technica to replace my very old Sherwood. The difference in sound is staggering, it has given me a new lease if life in terms of records. A rush of blood to the head saw me buy about 10 new records to go with it.

All sound amazing.

I am going to spend this afternoon setting up my system and reorganising my collection.

Are you using bluetooth speakers or is anyone as i have one for my new record player and wondered if its possible if you can get stereo on them?
At the moment im underwelmed by them and considering setting up my 1210 again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are you using bluetooth speakers or is anyone as i have one for my new record player and wondered if its possible if you can get stereo on them?

No running through my amp and speaker.

i do have a Samsung bluetooth speaker but only use that for my phone. Although i think I can bluetooth into my amp so might just use the samsung for outside.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

All sound amazing.

Very nice! Audio Technica make great turntable tables,. The cartridges they make are very nice sounding. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

All sound amazing.

Nice :thumbsup:

I'm having a vinyl day too. I still use one of my old Vestax PDT 5000's. Only use one now as I don't go in for mixing anymore. I used to have a Systemdex IIX years ago, but moved to the Vestax decks as wanted direct drive. Used to have to take the platter off the Systemdek each time to change the belt over for 33 or 45. It became a pain as I have a fair few 7" singles and 12"s in my collection as well as LP;s.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Wired for me

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wired here too . . .hve gone retro, fished some stuff out of my step fathers loft . . . . Currently trying out different set ups . . . Always the Rega turntable though53CF9F39-37AA-4F03-B73B-67FD469765EC.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Re set up my setup. Alphabetised my records :).

Problem is my amp won't play out of one channel. If I do a factory reset it works for a bit and then stops. Sounds like something is tripping out?
cd136fe26814a858ed30a24042d1a5f0.jpg
a2f570811a4060ce2a51f4e148169a83.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m really enjoying this thread, and some lovely photos.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All sound amazing.

I love your enthusiasm. How have you “reorganised”? When me and the, now wife, moved in together we planned to combine and share everything. We hit a problem when it came to combining our substantial CD and vinyl collections. One, I’m rather precious and protective of mine. She is of hers. Two, she wanted to organise by genre whilst I, correctly, wanted them alphabetical. We never resolved this so the sat side-by-side...I had one wall, she had another. I use past tense as they’re temporarily in storage.

Which records did you buy?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here