zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Www.Thedials.co.uk

Just supping a coffee then heading to Devon to play at a festival later today, unfortunately no turntable in the car!

:thumbsup: had a listen to a few of your songs on youtube, you have a lot of influences of bands I like going on there! Takes me back to the 60’s and early 70’s.

Love it, in fact so much so I’ve downloaded The Dials :smile:

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Being nosey, what sort of bands etc do you listen to? No agenda...just curious.

I've got wildly eclectic tastes - the only stuff I cannot abide is modern jazz and rap as I like melody ! The last few albums I've bought are a bundle of albums by Transglobal Underground, a live Caravan album, "Grand Tour" by Big Big Train, a box set of all the Ten albums and the latest side project from Banco de Gaia founder Toby Marks. I'm awaiting the next Springsteen album next month along with the Tangerine Dream box set that's coming out. I've also got the Dylan "Rolling Thunder" tour on order. I find these days that I'm mostly buying back catalogue stuff - there's very few new bands that excite me or that I can be bothered to explore (the exceptions being Public Service Broadcasting and Bennett Wilson Poole). The last two gigs I went to were Mott the Hoople and Dead Can Dance. Yourself ?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Www.Thedials.co.uk

Just supping a coffee then heading to Devon to play at a festival later today, unfortunately no turntable in the car!

As a Shindig man myself, naturally i’ve read the glowing reviews... love the vid/song on your website... I agree re many influences, for me from the Kingsmen, via some Paice, Ashton, Lord... not saying that’s where you are coming from, but what I hear based on my tastes. It’s actually retro sounding, yet not derivative...

I really like it.

Hope the gig goes well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got wildly eclectic tastes - the only stuff I cannot abide is modern jazz and rap as I like melody ! The last few albums I've bought are a bundle of albums by Transglobal Underground, a live Caravan album, "Grand Tour" by Big Big Train, a box set of all the Ten albums and the latest side project from Banco de Gaia founder Toby Marks. I'm awaiting the next Springsteen album next month along with the Tangerine Dream box set that's coming out. I've also got the Dylan "Rolling Thunder" tour on order. I find these days that I'm mostly buying back catalogue stuff - there's very few new bands that excite me or that I can be bothered to explore (the exceptions being Public Service Broadcasting and Bennett Wilson Poole). The last two gigs I went to were Mott the Hoople and Dead Can Dance. Yourself ?

I like a lot of stuff both old and new and I go through phases. I am listening to some of the new jazz stuff like Comet is Coming, Sons of Kemet and Moses Boyd. I subscribe to Sacred Bones label as I love most of the stuff they release. I like electronic stuff and have been listening to Yves Tumor and W H Lung recently. All of this has been bought on vinyl. Live wise, I’m seeing The Good, The Bad, The Queen, Rufus Wainwright and Blanck Mass in June. I have been listening to Talking Heads and The Clash back catalogue recently as well.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like a lot of stuff both old and new and I go through phases. I am listening to some of the new jazz stuff like Comet is Coming, Sons of Kemet and Moses Boyd. I subscribe to Sacred Bones label as I love most of the stuff they release. I like electronic stuff and have been listening to Yves Tumor and W H Lung recently. All of this has been bought on vinyl. Live wise, I’m seeing The Good, The Bad, The Queen, Rufus Wainwright and Blanck Mass in June. I have been listening to Talking Heads and The Clash back catalogue recently as well.

Interesting array. The thing I love about music, is that it's an art, there are no rights or wrongs, just different form, and quality. The majority are happy (clappy) with ITV on a Saturday evening, lots of us not! And even though we have lots of different musical interests, there will be crossovers, which make talking points, and opens new avenues.

A large chunk of my vinyl is 60's soul, then psych, ska/reggae, (proper) r n b, rock etc . . .a load of new wave, and I bought vinyl in the 90's when it was so thin you could see through it! I buy less than I used to but . . . I've got quite a lot already so rarely find old stuff I want or can afford! So just buy new things.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
All this 180g talk has forced my hand, i’m about to order the Cressida debut (recent) 180g repertoire pressing... a brilliant album... along with the second album Asylum. Two of my favourite albums of all time.

It’s true, music is good for the soul.

I may even record some new stuff... I really find dicking about with my ‘sound’ makes me happy, so why not?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All this 180g talk has forced my hand, i’m about to order the Cressida debut (recent) 180g repertoire pressing... a brilliant album... along with the second album Asylum. Two of my favourite albums of all time.

It’s true, music is good for the soul.

I may even record some new stuff... I really find dicking about with my ‘sound’ makes me happy, so why not?

MusIc (and gardening) I find are both great for the soul.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kindred spirits.

If I could turn the clock back, one of the things I’d change would’ve been to take a true interest in music at school and to learn to play an instrument (instead of being a shy kid, clock watching for the end of lessons I didn’t thrive in). Knowing my musical loves since, which include dance, rhythm and bass-lines in general in all music, it would be the bass guitar. The progression of Norman Cook the bassist to dance DJ is a natural musical path.

Back to reality, I’m very happy just loving listening to music.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If I could turn the clock back, one of the things I’d change would’ve been to take a true interest in music at school and to learn to play an instrument (instead of being a shy kid, clock watching for the end of lessons I didn’t thrive in). Knowing my musical loves since, which include dance, rhythm and bass-lines in general in all music, it would be the bass guitar. The progression of Norman Cook the bassist to dance DJ is a natural musical path.

Back to reality, I’m very happy just loving listening to music.

It’s funny, shyness but parents too sometimes don’t help do they? I always remember being in year 9 and being asked to write a theme for an imaginary superhero... thus, dust man was born. The size of a particle of dust, but with some far out zany powers... I wrote the tune and my then music teacher begged me to take GCSE music... don’t get me wrong, I could barely play, but she saw something musical and creative. I went home and told my folks errrmmm Steve, music isn’t a career, stick with geography... yeah THAT’S a career.

The funny thing is both my parents were hugely musical too, my dad being in a local band in Sheffield: the Inspectres (still love that) and my mum good friends with Tony Hicks (hollies) back in Manchester... I guess they’d gotten old man, sold out to the ****ing MAN.

Anyway, I did eventually get my first guitar when I was 17 and since then I’ve been on a quest to have the speed of Blackmore and the feel of Green... ha! Dream on. But even at 38, I still can dream... right?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s funny, shyness but parents too sometimes don’t help do they? I always remember being in year 9 and being asked to write a theme for an imaginary superhero... thus, dust man was born. The size of a particle of dust, but with some far out zany powers... I wrote the tune and my then music teacher begged me to take GCSE music... don’t get me wrong, I could barely play, but she saw something musical and creative. I went home and told my folks errrmmm Steve, music isn’t a career, stick with geography... yeah THAT’S a career.

Anyway, I did eventually get my first guitar when I was 17 and since then I’ve been on a quest to have the speed of Blackmore and the feel of Green... ha! Dream on. But even at 38, I still can dream... right?

I forgot to add that bit. My parents couldn’t play instruments, sing, read music etc, so I didn’t have that background. Not very upper middle class! My Dad was and is a lover of listening to music, hence my siblings and I ended up with the same passion.

Always love hearing stories like yours.

I’m always amazed at how young some of the musical/song writing geniuses started writing beautiful, original songs. The Beatles, Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, to name just 4, were teens. Often just two of them working together in a bedroom, penning songs that went on to be much loved hits.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I forgot to add that bit. My parents couldn’t play instruments, sing, read music etc, so I didn’t have that background. Not very upper middle class! My Dad was and is a lover of listening to music, hence my siblings and I ended up with the same passion.

Always love hearing stories like yours.

I’m always amazed at how young some of the musical/song writing geniuses started writing beautiful, original songs. The Beatles, Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, to name just 4, were teens. Often just two of them working together in a bedroom, penning songs that went on to be much loved hits.

It’s interesting to read your comments re your family, and you’re totally on the money re those genesis moments... two or three people in a room creating something that kind of transcends the term ‘a song...’

I did make it into a studio, to record a demo of mine... I was on my own... I was shitting myself, I couldn’t play properly but I got the essence down I guess. I remain proud that I did it, for all its faults (and there were many...)

Still it’ll be there when i’m gone, which I kind of like.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
We are redecorating my daughters bedroom and rationalising her HiFi system. She still loves her turntable but also uses Spotify. So I got her a set of steljes NS3 active speakers. Her turntable a Aiwa from the 90s is basically an Audio-Technica lp60 that you can still buy today so has a built in pre-amp. The speakers have rca connections and Bluetooth, so makes a really neat little system. Really impressed with the speakers, they sound very good.

6DD83DB6-1C6B-41C4-A04D-B6A3383A89C4.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The funny thing is both my parents were hugely musical too, my dad being in a local band in Sheffield: the Inspectres (still love that) and my mum good friends with Tony Hicks (hollies) back in Manchester... I guess they’d gotten old man, sold out to the ****ing MAN.

Still in a similar place at age 61. These days I imagine I could programme stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHj5VX8RHZ8

But I can't :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

A few years ago (maybe 5) after a long hiatus from playing music with other people I decided to book a rehearsal studio. I invited everyone one I knew who had an interest in playing an instrument. This ranged from a classically trained music teacher to my mate who was just starting lessons at the age of 40. I told myself I would take a guitar and my bass so if no-one turned up I would belt out a few tunes on my own. I wasn't on my own and have been going every month since. The line up ebbed and flowed somewhat but has now settled on 6 of us (2X Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Drums, Harmonica). Again all with a range of band experience. We don't all always make it and most of the time we sound pretty crap (The guitarist who just started switched to drums so is still learning). However, sometimes, often just for a few minutes we click and it is the best feeling in the world. The only downside is that due to living in Australia we play too much Oz Rock.

https://brightonelectric.co.uk/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting array. The thing I love about music, is that it's an art, there are no rights or wrongs, just different form, and quality. The majority are happy (clappy) with ITV on a Saturday evening, lots of us not! And even though we have lots of different musical interests, there will be crossovers, which make talking points, and opens new avenues.

A large chunk of my vinyl is 60's soul, then psych, ska/reggae, (proper) r n b, rock etc . . .a load of new wave, and I bought vinyl in the 90's when it was so thin you could see through it! I buy less than I used to but . . . I've got quite a lot already so rarely find old stuff I want or can afford! So just buy new things.

The “open new avenues” line resonates with me a lot. The beauty of music is that there’s always more out there, it never ceases. This might be old stuff we’ve never come across or completely new stuff...or both. This is why, at 51, I am still enjoying it and probably consuming more than ever.

I also agree there are no rights or wrongs...music is literally the only thing I can’t start an argument about :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here