Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Malta recommendations

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Come on great & good of NSC, Mrs Jakarta has her birthday on the 7th of March and we fancy a bit of early spring sunshine in Malta over a long weekend.

Who has been and what is worth seeing/avoiding? Hotel tips welcome as well.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Come on great & good of NSC, Mrs Jakarta has her birthday on the 7th of March and we fancy a bit of early spring sunshine in Malta over a long weekend.

Who has been and what is worth seeing/avoiding? Hotel tips welcome as well.

Calling [MENTION=13309]maltaseagull[/MENTION]

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Lovely place; stroll around Valletta, visit "The Pub" & see the spot where Ollie Reed passed away while drinking with sailors.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Valletta will probably occupy most of your time for s long weekend but make sure you make time for at least an afternoon in Mdina, a beautiful walled city about half an hour inland from Valletta.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was in Gozo in the Spring. Stayed here:

grand hotel gozo.jpg

Gozo seemed really nice (I was working so I had only a few hours by that pool). Malta mainland seemed a bit tatty. I would imagine you'll need to stay at a beach resort, or hire a car.

theboybilly

We came back from Malta vowing never to go back. As HWT says it is so tatty, the landscape is nothing special at all. Gozo is much better altogether. A trip over to the Blue Lagoon is nice but remember to put on plenty of sun cream as it is exposed and you will be in the sun for at least a couple of hours. For me there are far better places to go for a short break

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Loved it in Malta, so much to see and do.

Best advice I can give is to use the busses. It's dirt cheap to get around the island and the website is really ready to use.
https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/trip-planner

I really enjoyed Mdina so another vote for that if you leave Valleft a.

As you so rightly say, a lovely island with so much to see and do, l only visited the once, back in the early 1990's for a week, but it left a lasting impression. In those days they still had the famous old yellow buses in operation, many of them British builtLeylands, Bedford's and the like, long gone now l am sure.

Still very much a pro British island too, with a facinating and varied history, especially during the last war when they were under constant seige from the Italians and Germans for many months.

I fully intend to revisit one day.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Been many times.

Mdina as others have said is a must but the market at Marsalloxx on Sundays is great.

Tend to stay in StJulians where there some cracking restaurants and there’s a lovely walk round the bay.

I’m into boats so hired one to go to the Blue Lagoon and dropped anchor there. Also some lively inlets round Gozo to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Went to Bugibba some years ago and I described it as "Blackpool with sun" when I got home !
Valletta and Mdina are very nice though and well worth visiting

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I enjoyed a boat trip around Valetta harbour, some of the luxury yachts are unbelievable

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Valleta is lovely. Loads of history. Check out some of the museums. The harbour tour is good.
Gozo is worth a visit. We just got a bus and the the ferry but the buses can get very busy in high season.
St Julian’s bay is a great walk around the waterfront.
Avoid St. George’s bay unless you want the Benidorm experience.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where is Malta Seagull when you need him ?

Anyway been twice and really very pleasant place, both when the kids were very young and very family orientated.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Where is Malta Seagull when you need him ?

Anyway been twice and really very pleasant place, both when the kids were very young and very family orientated.

I'm HERE :)

Would suggest that you look at staying in St Julians or Sliema for hotels. Valletta is great to visit St Johns Co Cathedral is spectacular. For a potted history do the Malta Experience.
Harbour cruise is good too.
There are several open top bus tours for about €18 pp which you can hop off and get a later one if you want to visit a place en route.
I would recommend the South tour as you get to see more of the old Malta.
Get an ordinary bus to M'Dina as that is definitely worth a visit too.
Avoid Buggibba/ Qawra at all costs.
Only hire a car if you like near misses as the driving standards are awful.
If you want to use public transport most of the time you can buy a travel card in advance https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/bus-card-and-ticketing
If you need any specific recommendations or further info PM me.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Valetta is fantastic ! I stayed in Bugibba, which was absolute crap. My recommendation would be to find a better holiday destination. It's not difficult.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm HERE :)

Would suggest that you look at staying in St Julians or Sliema for hotels. Valletta is great to visit St Johns Co Cathedral is spectacular. For a potted history do the Malta Experience.
Harbour cruise is good too.
There are several open top bus tours for about €18 pp which you can hop off and get a later one if you want to visit a place en route.
I would recommend the South tour as you get to see more of the old Malta.
Get an ordinary bus to M'Dina as that is definitely worth a visit too.
Avoid Buggibba/ Qawra at all costs.
Only hire a car if you like near misses as the driving standards are awful.
If you want to use public transport most of the time you can buy a travel card in advance https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/bus-card-and-ticketing
If you need any specific recommendations or further info PM me.

Thanks to one and all, as usual NSC has come up trumps!

Will almost certainly PM You, Malta Seagull, I'm working from home next couple of days so can explain what we would like to see & do a bit further.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here