Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Veganism

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Thread went off piste about as quickly as you’d expect.

Boggles The mind how bloody stubborn people get over this subject. It is rather basic science that teaches us that you lose energy each time you convert it. Nothing is 100% efficient. The most efficient internal combustion engine in the world is 40% efficient. So when you burn the gasoline to create energy, 60% of it is lost. And that’s before you consider everything else sapping the energy (resistance from road, aerodynamics / wind, etc).

So people that think you are using land MORE effectively by producing food and water to give to one animal, in order to kill it and feed other animals must be pretty ****ing stupid. Ignoring all of the ethical / animal welfare arguments, meat is way more environmentally unfriendly than plants.

Christ why can’t people just be honest and say ‘I like to eat what I want’? It’s nobody else’s business why each of us eat what we want anyway.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Do people really believe shit like that? Plant eating will ruin the planet? Morons.

Will be ‘interesting’ to see what happens as some of the poorer continents continue to develop / increase incomes. Currently, meat only provides something like 15% of food energy for everyone on the planet. Yet over a quarter of the land is used for livestock grazing. And over a third of crop lands are used for animal feed production. Probably some efficiencies to be gained here, but it’s not sustainable by a long shot. Won’t be our problem though, just like many things.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As is chopping down forests to grow palm oil which is in lots of food stuffs, including vegan cheese.

https://thecornishlife.co.uk/10-things-youre-buying-probably-contain-palm-oil/

The more crops that have to be grown, to feed people, the less land there is.

All those chemicals that are needed to spray the crops to keep the insects and pests at bay.

Exactly. Nail on the head, ever growing population is the problem. Too many people.
We don’t need veganism to survive-just less people.
What we need is for god to do another genocide, drown everyone and submerge the land with more water than is physically possible, except for 8 people maybe and 2 of every type of animal, who can escape on a boat, and just start again. There will be no dinosaurs this time so the vessel doesn’t have to be as big…….which is obviously a bonus given construction costs nowadays.
On the plus side, kangaroos wont have to walk to the ark anymore then walk back to Australia after the flood, modern transport techniques have improved considerably.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thread went off piste about as quickly as you’d expect.

Boggles The mind how bloody stubborn people get over this subject. It is rather basic science that teaches us that you lose energy each time you convert it. Nothing is 100% efficient. The most efficient internal combustion engine in the world is 40% efficient. So when you burn the gasoline to create energy, 60% of it is lost. And that’s before you consider everything else sapping the energy (resistance from road, aerodynamics / wind, etc).

So people that think you are using land MORE effectively by producing food and water to give to one animal, in order to kill it and feed other animals must be pretty ****ing stupid. Ignoring all of the ethical / animal welfare arguments, meat is way more environmentally unfriendly than plants.

Christ why can’t people just be honest and say ‘I like to eat what I want’? It’s nobody else’s business why each of us eat what we want anyway.

ironically you have overlooked that ruminants are much more efficient at converting basic cellulose material to protein, carbs and fats. eating meat is more efficent way to obtain protein and other nutrients. theres an argument about how much meat we eat, 8-10oz steaks for ~£3 arent necessary, but difficult to tell people not to eat cheap meat. it would be better we didnt demand cheap food and instead stuck to meant reared on marginal lands, valley grass lands and hills, without feeds from across the world.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Veganism is not good for the planet. Grassland is the world’s most important carbon sink existong only to graze farmed animals and would be ploughed up if the world went vegan. This would be catastrophic for climate change. Less intensive and organic farming relies on a mixed (livestock and crops) farming system to maintain soil fertility. Veganism would lead to an increase in the use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides and a deterioration in soil health.

Sadly the vegan society and others have politicised their beliefs by turning them into a campaign. As always, politics leads to only the telling of half the story and only the half that suits your cause.

There's tough competition out there (we have Palace fans posting on here for goodness sake) but that has to be the most deluded post of all time.

What happened? Did a vegan run off with your mother?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
ironically you have overlooked that ruminants are much more efficient at converting basic cellulose material to protein, carbs and fats. eating meat is more efficent way to obtain protein and other nutrients. Theres an argument about how much meat we eat, 8-10oz steaks for ~£3 arent necessary, but difficult to tell people not to eat cheap meat. it would be better we didnt demand cheap food and instead stuck to meant reared on marginal lands, valley grass lands and hills, without feeds from across the world.

If you're saying that eating a cow that eats grass is a more efficient way of eating protein that eating the grass directly then you are spot on!

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
My daughter is a vegan and her motivation was the appalling level of cruelty these poor animals are subjected to. Any environmental advantages or disadvantages are co-incidental to her, If it helps the environment, great, but it's the animal welfare that motivates most Vegans.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Veganism is not good for the planet. Grassland is the world’s most important carbon sink existong only to graze farmed animals and would be ploughed up if the world went vegan. This would be catastrophic for climate change. Less intensive and organic farming relies on a mixed (livestock and crops) farming system to maintain soil fertility. Veganism would lead to an increase in the use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides and a deterioration in soil health.

Sadly the vegan society and others have politicised their beliefs by turning them into a campaign. As always, politics leads to only the telling of half the story and only the half that suits your cause.

Spreading misinformation like this is incredibly dangerous. People talk about the ‘vegan agenda’ but they aren’t the side with multi million dollar advertising budgets designed to convince people of this absolute nonsense.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very few cows eat much grass. They are mostly shackled inside, fed cereals and grains from huge swathes of land, whilst farting methane.

As Jimmy Carr would say anyone happy with that can f*** off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Spreading misinformation like this is incredibly dangerous. People talk about the ‘vegan agenda’ but they aren’t the side with multi million dollar advertising budgets designed to convince people of this absolute nonsense.
which side is spreading this misinformation:
Very few cows eat much grass. They are mostly shackled inside, fed cereals and grains from huge swathes of land, whilst farting methane.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Take a B12 supplement if you feel you need to, availbe in Holland and Barrett’s. I’ve never supplemented but I did a test before and after (just over a year of doing it I think) and was healthier in every department including iron. You learn tricks here and there as you go, marmite for example is stacked with B12. In fact B12 defiency is a problem in general, not just vegans/vegetarians so everyone should be aware of potentially lacking it. Just eat lots of veg (greener the better) and you’ll be fine.

P.S - if you have any questions just give me a message and I’ll be happy to answer

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's not a chance in hell I could turn vegan. I like diary too much ...... and eggs. We've cut back on meat and now have it twice a week, fish twice and three days of veggie. It feels a decent balance.

I don't have an issue with people deciding to be vegan just as long as they don't try and push it my way ( it does almost seem like a religion for some ). What gives vegans a really bad name are the knobs like DXE going around Brighton at the moment intimidating people and thus actually turning people against their cause. They need a punch in the face.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
0B91E766-FAC6-4C9D-A04D-CEF7A4131C80.jpeg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Any on here?

Is there any other way of replacing B12 without adding yeast supplements?

Asking for a friend obvs.

You will find B12 is added to quite a lot of things, so any soy, almond milk etc. Also breakfast cereals, and any 'processed' vegan foods B12 shouldn't really be a problem. By all means your friend can take a supplement but it will be found added to many foods already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here