Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Veganism

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The idea of eating healthily and having a positive impact on the planet sounds like a good one but I just can't quite imagine enjoying dinner without some meat let alone without any food source from or by an animal...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don’t worry about it, but should probably take a supplement just to be safe.

Most plant based spreads and milks are fortified with it, plus many cereals. Also lots in nutritional yeast and marmite is a decent source. I just did a rough calculation and probably have about half the amount in milk from tea/coffee. There isn’t much in plants, unless you are eating organic muddy plants.

Probably better to get a supplement unless you happen to have a lot of algae in your diet :)

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Veganism is not good for the planet. Grassland is the world’s most important carbon sink existong only to graze farmed animals and would be ploughed up if the world went vegan. This would be catastrophic for climate change. Less intensive and organic farming relies on a mixed (livestock and crops) farming system to maintain soil fertility. Veganism would lead to an increase in the use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides and a deterioration in soil health.

Sadly the vegan society and others have politicised their beliefs by turning them into a campaign. As always, politics leads to only the telling of half the story and only the half that suits your cause.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’ve inadvertently found myself going a day or two without eating meat recently despite having lived my whole life as a ravinous carnivore. There’s a Vegitarian Indian restaurant not far from me which features in the Michelin guide and it’s absolutely incredible - it really opened my eyes as to what can be done without meat.

I honestly don’t have any strong, moral feelings about it, and if you’d have asked me a few years ago to go a week without meat I’d have balked at the idea, however I reckon I could easily do a year now if I had to.

Veganism is a step too far for me though. When you start to strip out versatile foods like cheese, milk, and eggs it starts to limit your options too much. Is it really healthy for you at that stage either - I genuinely don’t know. As someone who weight trains, the lack of protein would concern me. Yes, you can supplement around the issue, but I don’t believe your diet should be built around supplements.

Dec 29, 2011
Veganism is not good for the planet. Grassland is the world’s most important carbon sink existong only to graze farmed animals and would be ploughed up if the world went vegan. This would be catastrophic for climate change. Less intensive and organic farming relies on a mixed (livestock and crops) farming system to maintain soil fertility. Veganism would lead to an increase in the use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides and a deterioration in soil health.

Sadly the vegan society and others have politicised their beliefs by turning them into a campaign. As always, politics leads to only the telling of half the story and only the half that suits your cause.

The mind boggles. I eat more meat than anyone but any idiot knows agriculture and meat production is the biggest contributor to climate change

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm basically vegan 4 days a week, vegetarian 1, omnivorous 2. This isn't really the result of a conscious decision. It seems strange to me that some people eat meat/fish/eggs/dairy with every meal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm basically vegan 4 days a week, vegetarian 1, omnivorous 2. This isn't really the result of a conscious decision. It seems strange to me that some people eat meat/fish/eggs/dairy with every meal.

There is a label for you believe it or not.

A flexitarian.

Congratulations.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The mind boggles. I eat more meat than anyone but any idiot knows agriculture and meat production is the biggest contributor to climate change

yes, except for electricity generation, transportation and industry. the vegan lobby really are succeeding in selling this idea meat is the worst thing for the evirnonment. when digging into data its complex, for instance termites produce vast amounts of methane as do rice fields. are we going to stop eating rice too? biggest greenhouse gas is water, what are we going to do about that?

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
yes, except for electricity generation, transportation and industry. the vegan lobby really are succeeding in selling this idea meat is the worst thing for the evirnonment. when digging into data its complex, for instance termites produce vast amounts of methane as do rice fields. are we going to stop eating rice too?

Come on.Clearly chopping down forests to grow grain to feed cattle is worse than maintaining rice paddies.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
yes, except for electricity generation, transportation and industry. the vegan lobby really are succeeding in selling this idea meat is the worst thing for the evirnonment. when digging into data its complex, for instance termites produce vast amounts of methane as do rice fields. are we going to stop eating rice too? biggest greenhouse gas is water, what are we going to do about that?

Large scale commercial almond milk and avocado production are spectacularly bad for bees.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Come on.Clearly chopping down forests to grow grain to feed cattle is worse than maintaining rice paddies.
which is worse misses the point. theres a significant affect from both, we focus on one while ignoring the other because of the vegan agenda.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here