Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Veganism

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Fair play. In your own house, maybe. What if you're a stranger in a strange town and just fancy a takeaway, or you're on holiday in, say, Crete or China? You're going to have to spend half your waking life on Google, and even then the eating establishment you select is likely to tell you any old thing you want to hear. Even McDonald's in the UK appear incapable of keeping chicken out of their vegan wraps.Like I say, life's WAY too short.

Crete does fantastic falafel and hummus and Asia in general is pretty easy. Your preconceptions are pretty unfounded though and far away from any experience I've had. In fact not having a gut anymore and feeling more energetic has made my life much more enjoyable and lived. If you define being happy in life as eating at a McDonalds without having to google the ingredients, then great for you, I'll go back to my miserable salad eating existence and leave you in peace.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
vegetarian is too easy, veganism is hard so must be more virtuous.

I've always had far more respect for vegans than vegetarians because they are really seeing their beliefs through and it must be extremely challenging. Just a shame that there is a new type of vegan that doesn't respect anyone else's beliefs or choices. Also not convinced that many of the 'new' vegans actually do 'see it through' but those that do have my respect (not that they care of course!)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Crete does fantastic falafel and hummus and Asia in general is pretty easy. Your preconceptions are pretty unfounded though and far away from any experience I've had. In fact not having a gut anymore and feeling more energetic has made my life much more enjoyable and lived. If you define being happy in life as eating at a McDonalds without having to google the ingredients, then great for you, I'll go back to my miserable salad eating existence and leave you in peace.

Some places are harder than others I imagine. In parts of Spain ham is an essential part of your 5-a-day.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Rubbish. Absolute tosh. That's not what NSC says so I'm discounting all that old bollocks out of hand. Bloody amateurs.

Trouble is H.A., if we stuck by all the advice and dire warnings that have been showered upon us by the 'experts' for years now, we would either be dead from boredom, starving or most likely a race of neurotic wrecks.
There seems to be no balance these days, in virtually any topic that is discussed in the media. It is all or nothing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Fair play for standing your ground and stating your case mate. *Good points, well made :thumbsup:

*Mine are better tho :wink:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
So B12 is found in Soy Milk and Marmite then.

Cheers all.

Is this 'Soy Milk' that is made from soya that is apparently the cause of rainforest being destroyed entirely to feed farmed animals? Or is this 'soy milk' made from soya that is now predominantly genetically modified to enable the use of glyphosate which has just been banned in France due to its carcogenic properties?

Not so much having a go at soya but rather trying to illustrate that nothing is simple and the answers will always be in balance and choice, vegan or otherwise

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Some places are harder than others I imagine. In parts of Spain ham is an essential part of your 5-a-day.

Of course, but other than perhaps 15 minutes research on a couple of restaurants (which is no more or less than I did beforehand when searching for good places to eat) it really doesn't take much. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to most parts of Europe and have never been in a situation where I've either not been able to eat anything or just sit there with a plate of chips and olives. The majority of restaurants anywhere where there may be tourists has at least one vegan option nowadays

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Is this 'Soy Milk' that is made from soya that is apparently the cause of rainforest being destroyed entirely to feed farmed animals? Or is this 'soy milk' made from soya that is now predominantly genetically modified to enable the use of glyphosate which has just been banned in France due to its carcogenic properties?

Not so much having a go at soya but rather trying to illustrate that nothing is simple and the answers will always be in balance and choice, vegan or otherwise

Am I OK drinking oatmilk? I like it, much more convenient than fresh milk and tastes better than long life milk.

Can't seem to ditch cheese though. Not eaten cow/lamb/chicken etc for over 25 years, could do without milk easily these days but would struggle without cheese.

Moderation with all foodstuffs and a varied diet is surely the answer.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Am I OK drinking oatmilk? I like it, much more convenient than fresh milk and tastes better than long life milk.

Can't seem to ditch cheese though. Not eaten cow/lamb/chicken etc for over 25 years, could do without milk easily these days but would struggle without cheese.

Moderation with all foodstuffs and a varied diet is surely the answer.

Yeah I found dairy the hardest thing to give up. Luckily I wasn't a massive cheese addict, but ditching cereal was tough. All of the cow milk alternatives are horrible in cereal, in my opinion. I just don't bother.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Fair play. In your own house, maybe. What if you're a stranger in a strange town and just fancy a takeaway, or you're on holiday in, say, Crete or China? You're going to have to spend half your waking life on Google, and even then the eating establishment you select is likely to tell you any old thing you want to hear. Even McDonald's in the UK appear incapable of keeping chicken out of their vegan wraps.Like I say, life's WAY too short.

This is the most annoying thing I find about it actually. If you go to rural France (or skiing in the Alps for example), you have very little hope of getting by as a vegan unless you are fully self-catering. Going into a French restaurant outside of a city and asking for something vegetarian is bizarre enough, but try to explain that you don't even want cheese or butter. They look at you like you're the antichrist.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
55AD2A94-899B-4586-86A8-20247CCFD66B.jpeg

Sorry to stereotype, But reading this thread made me think of Neil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here