Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Portslade on Film 4 tonight

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Owned by the Wooldridge's from early 70s to who-knows-when. I did a paper round out of there circa 1971. I had the Mill Lane pitch. Doing the flats at the top of Foredown Road was a bugger.

My brother did that round at some point - I remember helping him around Parker Court (it always smelled of fried food!) That was in the mid to late 70s. The paper boys nicked so many sweets, it was unreal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My late mother and her mother were from Portslade, not the crappy bit though, Mile Oak before that got crappy too.

My late grandfather, (whom l never met), lived in Fishersgate during the war.

Just though l'd mention that, of absolutely no interest to anyone other than myself of course. :bla:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My brother did that round at some point - I remember helping him around Parker Court (it always smelled of fried food!)

Parker Court. That's it. Crikey. When were you there? During my time it just smelled. There was also a bonkers girl who lived there who played The Osmonds really loud when I came round, especially late in the week when I delivered her 'Jackie' magazine, that was literally snatched from the letter box. Very disturbing.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Parker Court. That's it. Crikey. When were you there? During my time it just smelled. There was also a bonkers girl who lived there who played The Osmonds really loud when I came round, especially late in the week when I delivered her 'Jackie' magazine, that was literally snatched from the letter box. Very disturbing.

I was born in Deacons Drive in 1969 (at home, I should add, not in the street). Moved away in 1980.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did I ever mention when I burned down George the Chemist? An honest mistake. But I think I got away with it. :blush:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was born in Deacons Drive in 1969 (at home, I should add, not in the street). Moved away in 1980.

Ah. Do you remember Bernard Nye?

You're 11 years younger than me....so you'' probably not remember coal smoke billowing from house chimneys in winter :cheers:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also South Portslade is now a lesbian enclave, sort of like Hebden Bridge only with a harbour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
I was born at 25 West Street Portslade in 1957, between Bakers yard and the Windmill public house, the bulldozers arrived in 1962 and flattened the lot.
The whole of South Portslade stunk of the nearby gasworks.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Im from Portslade originally so is [MENTION=15734]harry[/MENTION] wilsons tackle

And me!

Think it gets a harsh write-up at times. Portslade in the 70/80s when I was living there was great. I grew up with two big parks in short walking distance, where I could spend HOURS kicking a ball around. Wander down to Sports Corner with my mum to harass her into buying me some goalie gloves or something, and then head back to Victoria/Easthill Park and carry on again. What's not to like?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I take it everybody else already knew Ben Wheatley's Free Fire, set in late 70's Boston, was actually filmed in Portslade, well at least the outside shots were.

So just how like late 70s Boston did Portslade look? Is it just the exterior of a warehouse or something? Doing an image search for the film just shows interior shots.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I spent the first two weeks of my life (1975) in a flat in Orange Row, Brighton, but then moved to Portslade and lived at Dean Gardens, Southdown Road and Highways until I moved to Worthing in 2002.
Portslade was absolutely fine to me growing up, so I don't quite know why it has a bad reputation.
I know south Portslade (south of the OSR) was a bit rough, but by and large north (or Upper as it was called originally) has always been fairly pleasant.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Now there's a sentence you don't expect to write.

I take it everybody else already knew Ben Wheatley's Free Fire, set in late 70's Boston, was actually filmed in Portslade, well at least the outside shots were.

It certainly came as a surprise to me. (and might have done the last time I found out, as well :lol: )
Knew about the interior shots but had no idea about this. Thought the exteriors were shot in the US... what part of Portslade, StatBro?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knew about the interior shots but had no idea about this. Thought the exteriors were shot in the US... what part of Portslade, StatBro?

Thingy basin, where the power station is.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Thanks - will watch it again, and then see if I can work out exactly where. Down that area fairly often during the summer (not so much this time of year!)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here