Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rise in holocaust denial.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The lack of knowledge about the holocaust and the total number of Jews who were killed is understandable. The same people would not be able to tell you the name of Britain's leader during WW2 or manage to estimate accurately the population of London.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It is shocking. I would, however, like to see the wording of the Poll questions as there are some very thick people out there. Not knowing is different to denial.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The lack of knowledge about the holocaust and the total number of Jews who were killed is understandable. The same people would not be able to tell you the name of Britain's leader during WW2 or manage to estimate accurately the population of London.

Agree, the further away from the holocaust we get the more unreal the figures must seem to a younger generation and that is the failing of the education system but for 1 in 20 adults to believe it outright never happened is truly frightening. I felt very uncomfortable listening to that in the news this morning. Unsettling.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is shocking. I would, however, like to see the wording of the Poll questions as there are some very thick people out there. Not knowing is different to denial.

True.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There was a programme on a while back that showed videos from inside the camps with huge sheds full of human hair, glasses, shoes ect.. oh and mountains of bodies, wtf is wrong with people!?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Time to move on and forgive and forget, no need to keep holding ‘remberance’ each year in my opinion, same with Poppy Day etc, always come ms across to me as attention seeking. How can we all try to get on in the world if each year we celebrate death and murder. Forgive, forget, move on.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
It says that over 2000 people took part in the poll but no mention of the demographics. Is it possible they simply asked the wrong people? Where is all this holocoust denial coming from? I’m nearly 50 and don’t know anyone who thinks it didn’t happen or has been exaggerated so I can’t help but think that it’s the youngsters, possibly with a lack of education in the subject, glued to the internet and fake news that have been asked.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Reading the article gave the sense of some inbalance in there. Like someone else has posted - I'd be interested to see the questions. What set alarm bells ringing was the statement about grossly underestimating the number murdered. If I was asked how many it was out I wouldn't have guessed at 6m .... millions would be the closest I could have got. Yet the article implies that me getting that figure wrong is bad. I don't deny it happened and I think it's the worst crime in the history of the world. And they only surveyed 2000 people ...... out of 65m odd. Not what I consider a viable sample for such a subject matter. If it's really true then it's horrific .... but I don't believe it's really true.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Time to move on and forgive and forget, no need to keep holding ‘remberance’ each year in my opinion, same with Poppy Day etc, always come ms across to me as attention seeking. How can we all try to get on in the world if each year we celebrate death and murder. Forgive, forget, move on.
Remembrance and celebration are not the same thing.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

'Poppy Day' as you call it isn't celebrating death and murder - it's to commemorate thise that have died for us and to remind us what happens if we let evil take over. It alsp covers all conflicts not just the world wars. You're a bit of a dick if you think we shouldn't remember their sacrifices.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Agree, the further away from the holocaust we get the more unreal the figures must seem to a younger generation and that is the failing of the education system but for 1 in 20 adults to believe it outright never happened is truly frightening. I felt very uncomfortable listening to that in the news this morning. Unsettling.

As a teacher, I strongly disagree with your comment about it being a failing of the education system. It is taught in upper KS2 at primary and again in secondary school. But, like most things, if children go home and speak to their parents about it and they, the parents, flat out refuse to acknowledge it happened then it’s likely the children will too. I suspect there is a direct correlation between children who don’t believe it happened and their parents’ ill informed beliefs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As a teacher, I strongly disagree with your comment about it being a failing of the education system. It is taught in upper KS2 at primary and again in secondary school.

You're quite right.

I've taught it to Year 9 students.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
'Poppy Day' as you call it isn't celebrating death and murder - it's to commemorate thise that have died for us and to remind us what happens if we let evil take over. It alsp covers all conflicts not just the world wars. You're a bit of a dick if you think we shouldn't remember their sacrifices.

I’d say it’s ok to remember if you want too but not make such a big hoo ha and song and dance each year with the wreath laying and services etc, just quietly remember in your head without affecting everyone else, but I understand this opinion will not be to everyone’s thinking, just to me it’s come to the point where it all just needs forgetting about.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Reading the article gave the sense of some inbalance in there. Like someone else has posted - I'd be interested to see the questions. What set alarm bells ringing was the statement about grossly underestimating the number murdered. If I was asked how many it was out I wouldn't have guessed at 6m .... millions would be the closest I could have got. Yet the article implies that me getting that figure wrong is bad. I don't deny it happened and I think it's the worst crime in the history of the world. And they only surveyed 2000 people ...... out of 65m odd. Not what I consider a viable sample for such a subject matter. If it's really true then it's horrific .... but I don't believe it's really true.

Which would lead to the question why would anyone want to deliberately manipulate a poll bearing such sensitive subject matter. Either way it’s unsettling.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a teacher, I strongly disagree with your comment about it being a failing of the education system. It is taught in upper KS2 at primary and again in secondary school. But, like most things, if children go home and speak to their parents about it and they, the parents, flat out refuse to acknowledge it happened then it’s likely the children will too. I suspect there is a direct correlation between children who don’t believe it happened and their parents’ ill informed beliefs.

Fairs, it’s been over 30 years since I was in school. I just assumed these days you had them all goose stepping round the playground, let them play on their Gameboy’s for homework and fed them crack at breakfast club :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here