Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rise in holocaust denial.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Possibly fake news or at the very least a misleading survey.
Harty Junior, now 23, had ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ as part of his English curriculum at both Middle and Senior School, they even took the whole year group at Thomas A Beckett to watch the film at the Connaught.
So therefore do a survey in Worthing of young adults and you will get a totally different result.

Therein lies the point. He's one of the 19/20.

We're talking about the one in 20.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I really don’t like the way this country is headed.

1 in 20 don’t believe it occurred.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015184

I know that the holocaust happened. I also know that the Jewish propaganda machine is constantly at work to keep their perceived version of anti- semitism in the headlines. Nothing to see here, move on people.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think it is quite dangerous for people to forget that it happened because we run a greater risk of history repeating itself. People of my age all knew and elderly family in their street or area who had escaped it from somewhere in Europe. In my area there were many from Lithuania. The younger Generation need to have it taught in schools for sure

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I would recommend the book Auschwitz: The Nazis and The Final Solution and watch the accompanying BBC documentary.

It’s compelling reading but truly chilling. It is hard to comprehend the levels of depravity of The Nazis and the lengths they went to eradicate millions of innocent people.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The lack of knowledge about the holocaust and the total number of Jews who were killed is understandable. The same people would not be able to tell you the name of Britain's leader during WW2 or manage to estimate accurately the population of London.

I train a lot of people a year in companies, so during those sessions you get to hear people opinions. It absolutely stopped me in my tracks when about three years ago I came across my first, mild mannered but persistent holocaust denier. It came about when oddly enough we were talking about the Dieppe raid, and a strange conspiracy theory came up. He then started arguing that the death camps were not as described historically.

When I asked his sources he showed some strange photocopied daily mail cuttings and a book by an eastern europeon. When I started discussing Antony Beevor, or the Lipstadt trial, he said he didn't read or trust historians. I asked him about the war veterans testimony, even Dennis Norden odds testimony that year. He stated they were all part of a fake Jewish lead conspiracy.

Like the two others I have since meet and talked with quite openly, they have developed these theories by watching one source, You Tube. The first had no PC but his TV had You Tube. All three refused to read any history, however the third did watch Shoah on my recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uni1kybTAn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcZgJJLdEA

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I wouldn't be too hard on any not knowing full facts. How many died? Far, far too many in the most evil of circumstances.

Denial is different, and disturbing.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
It’s good to hear that details of the Holacaust are still being taught in schools. Bearing in mind the community in Hove, teachers at my school certainly considered it a responsibility to pass on the lessons.
One in twenty not knowing is marginal but the worrying aspects are that some (even more marginal figures) are pushing to cast doubt in people’s mind; much as they’d likely to cast doubt on the totality of th horror they can only question at the margins about certain aspects, but with the ultimate aim of chipping away at the edges of who were responsible.
I’ve recently watched the Rachel Weiss/Timothy Spall drama doc ‘Denial’ which is an excellent examination of the push for denial from liars such as David Irving and his ilk (nazis basically). This stressed the truth in British law that not all opinions are equal when there’s contest between truth an lies.
I hope the kids get the message that intolerance and arbitrary blaming of the ‘other’ for your feelings of inadequacy has horrendous consequences wh n exploited for selfish power.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’d say it’s ok to remember if you want too but not make such a big hoo ha and song and dance each year with the wreath laying and services etc, just quietly remember in your head without affecting everyone else, but I understand this opinion will not be to everyone’s thinking, just to me it’s come to the point where it all just needs forgetting about.

Wow

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I know that the holocaust happened. I also know that the Jewish propaganda machine is constantly at work to keep their perceived version of anti- semitism in the headlines. Nothing to see here, move on people.

Ah the old Jewish conspiracy. They're always up to no good eh ?(for anyone missing the sarcasm I think the wellthickwoody's comment is anti semitic bullshit)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I really don’t like the way this country is headed.
Agree, the further away from the holocaust we get the more unreal the figures must seem to a younger generation and that is the failing of the education system but for 1 in 20 adults to believe it outright never happened is truly frightening.
What are the figures for the same poll 20 or 30 years ago?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ah the old Jewish conspiracy. They're always up to no good eh ?(for anyone missing the sarcasm I think the wellthickwoody's comment is anti semitic bullshit)

THE HOLOCAUST HAPPENED!!!!

How much fxxking louder can I say it?

But because I put forward the idea that the Jewish community like to constantly take every possible benefit from every opportunity to remind the world of The Holocaust, and to claim anti-semitism when it may or may not be the case, that makes me anti-Semitic?

Fxxk off!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You seem okay most of the time, if a little stupid but every now and again you show a flash of being a truly nasty bloke. No offence intended, just how you come across on here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree, the further away from the holocaust we get the more unreal the figures must seem to a younger generation and that is the failing of the education system but for 1 in 20 adults to believe it outright never happened is truly frightening. I felt very uncomfortable listening to that in the news this morning. Unsettling.

Rather than distance from the event, it's far more about a systematic campaign to construct a particular understanding of the world from Mercer et al, and those that choose to do his bidding. And all of this is supported by those free speech zealots that are enabling this momentum to develop.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
'Poppy Day' as you call it isn't celebrating death and murder - it's to commemorate thise that have died for us and to remind us what happens if we let evil take over. It alsp covers all conflicts not just the world wars. You're a bit of a dick if you think we shouldn't remember their sacrifices.

I'd say you're a bit of a dick if you haven't noticed the rise of a worldview that would enable Holocaust denial to flourish.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Conversely I did study WW2 at primary in the 90s, whether it was then I don’t know but is now part of the KS2 curriculum. The full horrors are inappropriate to teach 9/10 year olds, but the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party, dehumanisation and eventual widespread mass murder of the Jewish community, as well as others such as political opponents, ethnic minorities, gypsies etc, is taught. In an age appropriate way I hasten to add.
I just asked two 10-year-olds and a 12-year-old if they knew what the holocaust was. With no further clues, they couldn't remember exactly. One thought it was to do with Churchill and WWII. When I said it was about people being killed in the war, one remembered it was about the Jews, and another asked if it was the Final Solution, and another mentioned Anne Frank. Once we established what it was, I asked how many they thought had been killed, and they all said millions. So although they couldn't remember exactly what it was from the term alone, they'd all been taught a bit about it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
1 in 20... That is absolute bollocks; the true figure will be nothing like that.

As for 'I don't like where this country is heading'... get off Twitter, stop reading sensationalist news stories, and get out and about. Youll see that in fact most people are decent, open minded and kind folk.

I prefer where this country is now compared to where it was 20, 30, 100, 150 etc years ago, that's for sure. Regardless of what's going on with Brexit, we're still one of the most tolerant countries in the world, that is without a doubt.
I don’t do twitter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
how much do you know about the action and numbers killed in the Russian purges, Chinese cultural revolution, Rwanda genecides? why?...

i dont think it unreasonable that people dont know all details of the holocaust of WWII, when we dont know anything about so many other similar events.

Off the top of my head, 10s of millions with the Russian purges, c50 million courtesy of Mao, Rwanda really wasn't that 'many', but it occurred at a horrifically rapid pace. But there's a difference between lack of knowledge of something, and the distortion of knowledge through disinformation and other such practices which is what we're currently being subjected to.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be clear 1 in 20 are denying it. Not just unaware or ignorant but actively denying it. That means when presented with evidence they still deny it happened.
Not knowing the details is understnadable, figures, names of camps etc. But outright denial is real and unsettling. 1 in 20. That’s a lot of people.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
When Channel 4 have to hire extra security for Rachel Riley,and she no longer uses twitter due to the vile abuse being heaped on her by Momentum trolls,then that poll probably errs on the safe side as regards anti-semites and anti-semitism.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here