Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Bra's in the 70s

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have no idea what channel is on, paying little attention but it's an old Emmerdale, probably late 70s. I love watching the old re-runs of 70s stuff, Sweeney, Professionals, etc. But whenever I watch them you look at the ladies and they seem to never wear bra's? I was 15 coming out of the 70s so didn't really get with the vibe which literally exonerates me from pictures of me in baggies and zip up cardies.

So my question to the elders of the 70s, did women wear bras? It seems it was either not very often or just exclusively not for the tellybox.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Maybe they were wearing these.....?

EBDEC50B-DFC0-4E53-95FA-5F7842571FEE.jpeg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Probably just to increase the male viewing figures,
I was a teen then and though I did watch those programs I didn’t notice that to be honest.
Unhitched a few in the later 70’s though, nudge nudge.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Probably just to increase the male viewing figures,
I was a teen then and though I did watch those programs I didn’t notice that to be honest.
Unhitched a few in the later 70’s though, nudge nudge.

Well, Mike, and sorry I couldn't do a 5th round thread, but that's another time, I only noticed when I started watching the Sweeney and the Professionals again on our ITV3 that the girls were never wearing bra's. And I tried hard to remember my 1970s. But it seems on the tellybox they never did. I'm not sure if it were the norm? I know my ex who had ample bosom never wore one but that was 80/90s.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
$2000 plus $150 post, back in the 70’s ! that would have been mega bucks, only for the elite fashionistas then.

I can quite safely say that I didn’t have one!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This thread immediately made me think of an episode of Fawlty Towers

PDVD_050.JPG

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Women definitely wore bras in the 1970s, and a sad disappointment it was to those who grew up in that decade. [emoji14][emoji14][emoji14]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I remember quite a few conversations with mates about the ability, or lack of it, in being able to undo the above mentioned apparel with one hand.
An impressive amount of manual dexterity was required for some, almost akin to a master magician.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I want to go back beyond the 70s and ask a similar question. In the 40s and 50s. Women's upper anatomy looked very pointed. Anyone " still alive" who can advise. [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION]

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I remember quite a few conversations with mates about the ability, or lack of it, in being able to undo the above mentioned apparel with one hand.
An impressive amount of manual dexterity was required for some, almost akin to a master magician.

was just remembering the joy of the time I first managed the one handed method (bras that is before the innuendos fly in).
How ever one of the most helpful dates wore the front fastener, they certainly made cinema evenings much simpler!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nothing sexier than a woman with nice titties wearing a t shirt and no bra, swinging around freely with nipples like dockers thumbs, and they know it as if to say hey fellas look at these
I am sure that, in Friends, it was in Jennifer Anistons contract to show as much pokies as possible

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I knew very few girls/ young women in the late 60’s and early 70’s who wore bras so yes I’d say it’s true.

Seem to remember there was. “Burn the bra” movement as part of women’s liberation. Not sure many actually burnt them though they did discard them.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Bras were deffo a thing in the 70's. As a very young lad I was always pleased to check that particular section in my Mum's 'Grattan' and 'Empire' catalogues to ensure the bra manufacturing industry was alive and well. :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bras were deffo a thing in the 70's. As a very young lad I was always pleased to check that particular section in my Mum's 'Grattan' and 'Empire' catalogues to ensure the bra manufacturing industry was alive and well. :lolol:

When you think back to Mum's catalogues as being the closest to nudity we had any real access to (unless you accidentally found a rain-soaked magazine in the bushes in Hove Park when you went to pick up the ball after a wild shot at goal), you realise once again how much things have changed today.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
When you think back to Mum's catalogues as being the closest to nudity we had any real access to (unless you accidentally found a rain-soaked magazine in the bushes in Hove Park when you went to pick up the ball after a wild shot at goal), you realise once again how much things have changed today.

And how funny was it when you found a pile! It was akin to finding a kilo of cocaine. You knew it was wrong, you were very excited to find it, you had absolutely no idea what to do with it - and knew you could never take it home... and you were secretly disappointed when you had to throw it away, again. :(:glare::lolol:

One thing those magazines taught me was that there are some utterly horrendous munters out there (a la Readers Wives) unlike todays kids who see plastic and plumped up perfection every time they pick up their device for a 'browse'!

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here