Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion "Sliding Doors" Moments

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Saw this on Twitter this evening, from Opta's Nick Harris, and got me thinking -

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1088912216613634048 (I still can't embed tweets)

What "Sliding Doors" moments have we arguably had? Robbie Reinelt undoubtedly; Stuart Storer undoubtedly. One could argue that not (admirably, imo) getting Hyppia in, we would have been robbed of the 'romance' of CH's tenure... Any others spring to mind?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Adam Virgo going forward when being bellowed to do so against Swindon Town...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Hyypia situation is spot on for Sliding Doors reference, a negative that led to a positive.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Adam Virgo going forward when being bellowed to do so against Swindon Town...

The memory of that still brings up the goosebumps.
You might know - were we in a fight to get Zamora on loan the first time round? Could he have gone somewhere else at the last minute like, say, Pritchard?

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
the Hyypia situation is spot on for Sliding Doors reference, a negative that led to a positive.

I think we're all rather proud of Mr Bloom's choice of managers over the years - never the obvious. I like to think less imaginative owners would have blown a fortune on a Pulis or Allardyce type to get us out of what was quite the sticky situation.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Surely a sliding doors moment is something that seemed insignificant at the time but transpired to be important. There was nothing insignificant about Reinelt or Storer. The five we scored in the fans united game would be a better example as no one imagined goal difference would be significant that season.

Another example might be VVD deciding not to join us or Dunk not going to Fulham.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The memory of that still brings up the goosebumps.
You might know - were we in a fight to get Zamora on loan the first time round? Could he have gone somewhere else at the last minute like, say, Pritchard?

It wasn’t the risk of losing out on Zamora. We wanted Lorenzo Pinamonte, and only turned to Bobby, when we ‘unfortunately’ missed out on big Lorenzo.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Surely that gimp Pritchard, speeding his way to Sussex, suddenly swerving in the direction of Norfolk, would a Sliding Door moment.
Either that or a big let off.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another one, 20 Jan 17.

A brilliant double penalty save by Stockdale at home to Massive (when we were down to ten men), 20 minutes later Knockaert destroys them with an unlikely winner. We went into the game after a loss at PNE.

IMO that in-match relative swing of 6 points, was critical to our momentum and it saw off those wnkrs as one of our rivals.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
It wasn’t the risk of losing out on Zamora. We wanted Lorenzo Pinamonte, and only turned to Bobby, when we ‘unfortunately’ missed out on big Lorenzo.

We still wanted him after his loan spell? Blimey. I only saw him play for us once and remember him more for the flair of his wave to the fans after being subbed, than his performance.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Surely a sliding doors moment is something that seemed insignificant at the time but transpired to be important. There was nothing insignificant about Reinelt or Storer. The five we scored in the fans united game would be a better example as no one imagined goal difference would be significant that season.

Another example might be VVD deciding not to join us or Dunk not going to Fulham.

Another one, 20 Jan 17.

A brilliant double penalty save by Stockdale at home to Massive (when we were down to ten men), 20 minutes later Knockaert destroys them with an unlikely winner. We went into the game after a loss at PNE.

IMO that in-match relative swing of 6 points, was critical to our momentum and it saw off those wnkrs as one of our rivals.

Taking the description of a sliding doors moment from Skaville, not sure the double save fits the bill. That was a massive (pun intended) moment at the time, and felt it. That, along with Murray's last minute winner at Birmingham was what made me really believe.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Ok good call. Something insignificant yes, but that something had to lead to something specifically significant. Your goal difference example is good, but also we had points deducted that season which put us in that situation anyway. Anyone would think the FA didn't want to have to deal with the consequences of crooks owning football clubs....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not as significant by a long way, but also Gordon Smith shooting straight at ManUre’s keeper. We were still relegated, but the FAC was a massive prize at that time.

That was Utd's sliding doors moment. Had we beat them Atkinson would have got the sack and Ferguson probably would never have been their manager

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I thought we were going to win with ease, after a quality performance at the County Ground, but irritating Swindon turned up and played well

Same; I thought we were home and dry after the first leg. Overwhelming feeling after the second leg was huge relief!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here