Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion "Sliding Doors" Moments

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Surely a sliding doors moment is something that seemed insignificant at the time but transpired to be important. There was nothing insignificant about Reinelt or Storer. The five we scored in the fans united game would be a better example as no one imagined goal difference would be significant that season.

Another example might be VVD deciding not to join us or Dunk not going to Fulham.

Ok good call. Something insignificant yes, but that something had to lead to something specifically significant. Your goal difference example is good, but also we had points deducted that season which put us in that situation anyway. Anyone would think the FA didn't want to have to deal with the consequences of crooks owning football clubs....

Possibly the decision by the FA to change League placings from goal difference to goals scored?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Albion "Sliding Doors" Moments

Poyet giving Palace Murray for free in 2011 so he could buy CMS. Got Palace promoted and held us back 3 years IMO. Alls well that ends well though.

Another was losing to Notts County in 91 play off final. Victory in that game and top flight football so close to the Prem years could have eradicated the opportunity for scum Belloti, Stanley and Archer to get their filthy hands on our club.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Taking on a director who loaned us a million and, at the time, we were all pleased for. The rest certainly was history.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A big thank you to Mr Blears for putting Hazel in a good mood on 24 July 2007. It could’ve been so very different if he’d had one of his ‘headaches’.

ADFACB30-E6B4-4784-BA31-F7A6889FD573.png

(Comment - Norman Baker, how did it adversely affect Lewes, t*sser?).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Poyet giving Palace Murray for free in 2011 so he could buy CMS. Got Palace promoted and held us back 3 years IMO. Alls well that ends well though.

Another was losing to Notts County in 91 play off final. Victory in that game and top flight football so close to the Prem years could have eradicated the opportunity for scum Belloti, Stanley and Archer to get their filthy hands on our club.

Especially as the first goal was scored from a corner that should have been a goal kick. Still, I'm not bitter, let bygones be bygones!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think we're all rather proud of Mr Bloom's choice of managers over the years - never the obvious. I like to think less imaginative owners would have blown a fortune on a Pulis or Allardyce type to get us out of what was quite the sticky situation.

Agree with your post but I think Mr Knight pulled a few rabbits out of the hat during his time

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Alan Mullery punching his team-mate at Fulham - probably wouldn't have warranted a mention in a match report

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Beeney's transfer to Leeds in 1993 that meant we could pay a VAT bill, thus preventing a winding up order against the club

Significant moment in the clubs fortunes, yes, but often overlooked but then add in the friendship between the 2 clubs managers that supposedly led to the deal, and them paying such a significant amount for his transfer (over-inflated fee?) when they could have simply waited, allowing us to go bust first, meaning that they could have picked him up for nothing

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
When the Palace coach driver was standing in the food to go section in the Whitehorse lane Sainsburys and decided to pick the spicy chicken pasta over the ham and cheese sandwich :whistle:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Mike Dean sending off Stephens at Boro. I'm convinced we would have won that game otherwise and gone up one year earlier. I think there's an argument that it may have been one year early and there's a chance we would have come straight back down with the possibility of the squad being broken up and CH leaving. We'll never know of course but, painful as it was, I think that extra year helped us and created one of our most memorable seasons too.

I also wonder what would have happened if Barnes had scored against Palace in the play off semi instead of hitting the bar and how that might have changed the trajectory of the club.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Mike Dean sending off Stephens at Boro. I'm convinced we would have won that game otherwise and gone up one year earlier. I think there's an argument that it may have been one year early and there's a chance we would have come straight back down with the possibility of the squad being broken up and CH leaving. We'll never know of course but, painful as it was, I think that extra year helped us and created one of our most memorable seasons too.

Good call. Especially how it created such a memorable season the next year. I've said it before but those two seasons were like one long one. In August we just picked up from where we left off and I'm still annoyed we didn't lift the trophy at the end of it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Good call. Especially how it created such a memorable season the next year. I've said it before but those two seasons were like one long one. In August we just picked up from where we left off and I'm still annoyed we didn't lift the trophy at the end of it.

I am still pissed off about not winning the title as well. I hated that journey back from Villa Park and pathetic as it sounds never forgiven Stockdale

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’m going firstly for two referee’s calls.

Firstly, as has already been mentioned, giving a corner to Notts County in the playoff final, from which they scored, when it was blatantly a goal kick to us.

Secondly, not giving a free kick against Craig Maskell when he completely manhandled the Doncaster goalie out the game, allowing Stuart Storer to lash in the final Goldstone goal. Watch the coverage and it’s still astonishing he got away with it.

And finally, for me the ultimate sliding door - the final minutes at Hereford, when their striker was suddenly clean through on goal, with only Mark Ormerod between the Albion and oblivion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here