Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Old Timber Front Door - draught control

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got an old timber front door in a timber frame. It has perhaps shrunk over time, or was just badly installed in the first place. I tried the stick on weather stripping stick on foam stuff, but because the gaps are a bit uneven, it wasn't very successful and it didn't stand the test of time (could have been shit fitting by me). I think the door has a slight twist in it so tight to the rebate at one point, but not so tight elsewhere.

The door doesn't actually need to be weather tight as it is in a porch, but air tight - it's like having a window open at present. Any advice on what works or what is a waste of time?

Brush?
l_53006.jpg

Retractable door seal?
p_53308.jpg

Compression sill?
ae235

Weather strips to surround?
exterior-door-seals-weather-exterior-door-seals-uk.jpg

OTHER??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
New door, mate. Wonky wood is more trouble than it's worth.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You don’t say where the gaps are. The first three solutions will only help combat the problem if the gaps are at the bottom of the door. If so, then my experience is that a brush is near useless, and that the compression sill will get permanently compressed by people stepping on it - go for a retractable door seal.

If the gap is on top, that sane solution will work on the top.

If the gap is on the hinge side, weather strip is ok. Less good, but still probably your best option if the gap is on the handle side.

Perm as many solutions as you have gaps.

Or... get a new door; one that fits.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can you make changes to the door frame. We had that done as an easy option on the sides.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You don’t say where the gaps are. The first three solutions will only help combat the problem if the gaps are at the bottom of the door. If so, then my experience is that a brush is near useless, and that the compression sill will get permanently compressed by people stepping on it - go for a retractable door seal.

If the gap is on top, that sane solution will work on the top.

If the gap is on the hinge side, weather strip is ok. Less good, but still probably your best option if the gap is on the handle side.

Perm as many solutions as you have gaps.

Or... get a new door; one that fits.

There are gaps top, bottom and the lock side. Hinge side is not too bad. Going to have a property check whether there is much twist or not.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can you make changes to the door frame. We had that done as an easy option on the sides.

Yes, painted timber frame so would be easy enough to scarf some timber in or create a tighter seal that way.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
When we moved into Jakarta Towers in 2001 we had a lovely old Front Door complete with leaded glass (we don't know exact date of the house but it is probably Victorian). To keep the Hall a bit warmer in Winter Mrs Jakarta made up some curtains to cover the door. One freezing cold morning I pulled said curtains aside to reveal that a small snow drift had entered the house overnight.

We bought a new Door and Doorframe. Suggest you do the same.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have had similar problems with an original early Edwardian door, tried everything but never managed to stop the draught.
We have a vestibule door which is easier to draughtproof but it's still not perfect.
In the winter even a small draught is very noticeable.
New door? at least £900 probably a lot more to replicate the original.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
New door, mate. Wonky wood is more trouble than it's worth.

We persevered with our old wooden door, which expanded each damp British winter.

In the end we bit the financial bullet and bought a lovely, energy efficient door from R & D Goatley (Portslade seafront). It doesn’t look upvc at all and the house became warm/draught-free overnight.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We fitted a spring based rubber seal on the front of the door that lifts when you open it. Bit like this https://shop.stormflame.com/automatic-threshold-seal-rp60-412-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuZ_uxM-J4AIVjLTtCh15SAjUEAQYBCABEgIX4vD_BwE

Works quite well. We tried brushes and so on - but it really depends on what you have inside. We've a door mat on floorboards, and the brush either caught when closing, or moved the mat when opening, or didn't fit down to the bottom. Then we have squasahble excluders on the other three sides. Don't buy anything self-adhesive, it always comes off - get something set into thin plastic runners that you tack to the door frame. Well worth the extra expense.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
We've got an old draughty wood / glass door that opens straight into our living room (small two-up, two-down cottage) which I've partially mitigated the effects of by adding a stable door to the porch, using a nice vintage Arts & Crafts style draught excluder and curtain, and if still chilly round the ankles pulling my socks up over my knees.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We fitted a spring based rubber seal on the front of the door that lifts when you open it. Bit like this https://shop.stormflame.com/automatic-threshold-seal-rp60-412-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuZ_uxM-J4AIVjLTtCh15SAjUEAQYBCABEgIX4vD_BwE

Works quite well. We tried brushes and so on - but it really depends on what you have inside. We've a door mat on floorboards, and the brush either caught when closing, or moved the mat when opening, or didn't fit down to the bottom. Then we have squasahble excluders on the other three sides. Don't buy anything self-adhesive, it always comes off - get something set into thin plastic runners that you tack to the door frame. Well worth the extra expense.

This looks great, and a very helpful website. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here