Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] DFS and The Goldstone Retail Park

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I have never even been past the site since the last game v Donny. Living in Essex makes that rather easy though.

One day I'll do Hove parkrun, and will pay my respects to the Site without going in.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Never have and never will.

It is not that I have any bad feelings towards the companies who occupy the site, it's just that in my mind (imagination) it is still the Goldstone Ground and I don't want to tarnish all the great memories have have.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Can't disclose too much as its part of my job, but I am aware that a business proposal for Focus was turned by a leading institution once they got wind of who owned it.....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As was the Goldstone in the final few years, people tend to forget that. The East Terrace was a no go area.
Yes, it was nearly as bad as Selhurst is now but it was ours. We needed to move to progress but the proceeds of the sale should not have lined the pockets of Archer and Stanley. The current owners of the site played their part when the re-sale went through 12 months or so later. For every season I spent at Withdean I still bear a grudge-even though we'd be a League 1 side if we'd stayed. Should have been our choice-not Archer's or Stanley's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I have only just been able to drive past a year or so ago.

Definitely will never use anyone associated with it.

Ironically my own beloved Albion is now getting the boycott until the head of customer retentions and long emails does one.

So all you boycotters really are quite similar to me.:drama:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You've been brought up in a house with a family of thousands. The house was built in the early 1900's and you and your family have seen many happy times. The landlord then evicts you and you've got nowhere to live. You spent years fighting the eviction order, but to no avail. You and your family are homeless. The landlord sells the land your house is on and it gets demolished. A load of shops are built where your house once stood. Would you ever visit these new shops?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369858-More-then-Ninety-Minute-s-BHA-95-97

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, it was nearly as bad as Selhurst is now but it was ours. We needed to move to progress but the proceeds of the sale should not have lined the pockets of Archer and Stanley. The current owners of the site played their part when the re-sale went through 12 months or so later. For every season I spent at Withdean I still bear a grudge-even though we'd be a League 1 side if we'd stayed. Should have been our choice-not Archer's or Stanley's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's time to move on my friend, it really is. :)

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The furniture shop which none of us use, a far cry from Bellotti selling them the Albion season ticket mailing in list in 1996 they now have prime time television ads featuring Lego characters, which clearly won't be cheap, so business must clearly be good.

I say which none of us use, but 20 years or so on, am I now in the minority?

I never have or never will shop at the Goldstone Retail Park, even at the 10th anniversary in 2007 I wouldn't cross the boundary and BBC Sussex had to use outside broadcast equipment for me to take part in the drive time show, from just outside the Shell Garage.

My old mate Richard Lindfield said back then I was a dinosaur and I should move on, so how many actually have on NSC?

Does anyone who originally said in 1997 they would never go back to the Goldstone Retail Park, now changed their view?

I've shopped there for years.
I explain to my son this is where I used to watch Brighton play when I was younger.
I can't believe people haven't walked along Newtown Road and turned down the slope into Goldstone Lane? Still gives me a buzz. Happy memories from childhood seeing how full the North Stand was.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
There are some things you just cannot forgive. The sale of the Goldstone is one of those things so I would never go there again.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Always said I’d never go til we got a proper home to play at. And still held off until about 3 years ago.
It’s an odd feeling but I’m content to let it go.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
just once, to Toys R Us (8 years ago) with a three year old who had a voucher, I felt sick going there, but at least I didn't buy anything :(

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not living close by helps, but I've never gone there and never will.
Even went to Currys to buy something and got them to match the Comet price because there was no way I was going on to the site.
Also boycott Wickes as much as I can but cant remember why. Did they buy the Focus / Do-It-All chain

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Never have, never will. When my kids were younger, used to shop at the Toy R Us in Pompey rather than travel the 2 miles down the Old Shoreham Road.
With the internet now, there is even less need to go there. Been past, but won't go in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's over 'we've' won.

It was time to move on 7 years ago and all points since.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Never have. Never will. Living in Woking, that doesn’t entail much sacrifice on my part.

I guess I’ve moved on. We’ve got pretty much everything we could reasonably wish for now and, crucially, Archer has nothing to do with us. We did our bit yesterday to make today happen. There’s no reason to expect new fans that weren’t around at the time to care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here