Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] DFS and The Goldstone Retail Park

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Living away from Brighton since 1970, my visits back were a few times each season until our ground was taken from us.

But I have so many special memories of grandparents and Dad in the South Stand and my first view of that bright green turf, Kit Napier, Brian Powney and all.

So I have been back just once. I just wanted to remember - that walk as a little kid- from my Dad parking near the station in Hove, over the footbridge and down Newtown Road into Goldstone Lane.
So a few years back I did that walk for a final time and then wandered down to touch the Goldstone and to finally stand where I thought that the centre spot would have been.
Bringing tears to my eyes just thinking about it now.
But no, apart from that one time, never been back.
RIP Goldstone

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's time to move on my friend, it really is. :)
I think you misunderstand.

I have moved on but my grudge towards Stanley and Archer remain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The furniture shop which none of us use, a far cry from Bellotti selling them the Albion season ticket mailing in list in 1996 they now have prime time television ads featuring Lego characters, which clearly won't be cheap, so business must clearly be good.

I am not sure that follows as I was told that firms only advertise on local radio as a last resort when desperate so would assume that due to the cost it also follows for TV advertising.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've been as I take the view that had we stayed there then even if we had developed it, it would be a fraction of the size of the Amex due to the restrictive covenants in place. It's been a journey very different to most clubs and started with at rock bottom with Archer and his cronnies but nobody can dispute that since 1999 and coming back to BN1 it has been a great time to support the club with a steady progression to where we are now.

The Goldstone had some great nights but was a crap stadium in the grand scheme of things.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maybe people who live in Hove can move on but I think it's raw-er for those who have moved away. I drove past it for the first time in 20 years last season and it just moved emotions in me, it was a horrible horrible experience to see what it had become and the nostalgia of my youth came flooding back. Made me sad, I could never go in

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Brighton born and bred. Will not set foot on desecrated ground. If, IF, there was a proper memorial to nearly 100 years of hugely cultural and sporting significance to my town/city then I might feel different. But a ****ing £200 sign tacked onto a corner of Hove Park is an insult.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
A panicky Christmas Eve visit to Toys are us but not anymore felt guilty at the time and not been back since

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I never went into the shops there until after the Amex was built.

Think I may have bought bird food a couple of times in the Pet shop bit since. Certainly walked around it.

Same here. Once Amex was built felt perhaps the selling of Goldstone was a blessing in disguise, although I still have fantastic memories of the old girl.

Only ever bought stuff in ToysRUs.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
A panicky Christmas Eve visit to Toys are us but not anymore felt guilty at the time and not been back since
Yes, would be nice to spend some of the premier league millions on something more appropriate and substantial. There again, some scrote would probably spray graffiti all over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here