Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dark Star now owned by the Japanese

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Right. I'm scratching my head here....

Has someone actually been offended on behalf of a nation for someone saying the word 'Japanese' - or am I missing something obvious?

Secondly - they have sold the rights to the name, not the company. In a statement :

"While Fuller's will retain ultimate ownership of its brand name, Asahi will hold the global licence to use the trademark"

and....

"For Fuller's it allows it to fucus on the pubs and hotels business, where the vast bulk (87%) of operating profits come from"

So - a smart move by Fuller's, which is why the share price has jumped 21%

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Right. I'm scratching my head here....

Has someone actually been offended on behalf of a nation for someone saying the word 'Japanese' - or am I missing something obvious?

I think the thread title was edited by a mod who nipped the offending word in the bud and changed it to Japanese, if you know what I mean.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I may have misheard their pronunciation of the name of the buyers sorry,. Is it possible that an h is pronounced as k in their language.

It's pronounced Uh-Sa-Hee. It's can be difficult for the uninitiated, but they're very a big name in Japan and things are easy if you're big in Japan.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone get told off for using it. When you say 'at least since the second world war', I'm pretty sure that nobody during the second world war would have had a problem with somebody shortening the name of the nationality of the people they were trying to kill! So I highly doubt it was unacceptable then!

Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on it, it just caused an involuntary eyebrow raise when I read that it was apparently unacceptable. I'll add it to my list of terms not to use, that I probably wouldn't have used anyway.

I do think it's been deemed offensive for a while now. It can be a minefield admittedly. Sometimes calling a people by a diminutive is ok (Brits, Aussies, etc), and sometimes is isn't. (People from Pakistan for example prefer the full version). It all depends on the people and to a lesser extent the individual. My boss for example is called Peter and is greatly offended when people call him Pete, so we don't do it, it's all about respect and I like to be respectful and not give offence.

Anyway, no one has said how disgusting it is that a great British institution is now owned by a load of raw fish munchers.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Asaki have also bought Fullers beers for £250m according to the 1pm news on Smooth Will it become Wondon Pwide
You are the ghost of Benny Hill and I claim my five pounds.

:facepalm:

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Am I allowed to get a takeaway Chinky anymore?

I'm sure some middle class white people will be offended by it, so no.

(I highly doubt the Chinese would give a shit, but that's not important)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
God there are some horrendous bellends on this board desperate to be offended by something.

How on earth is Jap an offensive term?

I went to Japan during the world cup and had a great time with the Japs. Amazing people.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
God there are some horrendous bellends on this board desperate to be offended by something.

How on earth is Jap an offensive term?

I went to Japan during the world cup and had a great time with the Japs. Amazing people.

You disgusting, vile racist pig, you will rot in hell for that despicable crime.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
FFS, does anyone think this will affect Dark Star beers (they've been efectively left alone by Fullers except for an enhanced distribution arrangement I think) or London Pride / ESB etc? My initial thought was that the Chiswick brewery will be sold for flats and brewing moved to somewhere cheaper.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
FFS, does anyone think this will affect Dark Star beers (they've been efectively left alone by Fullers except for an enhanced distribution arrangement I think) or London Pride / ESB etc? My initial thought was that the Chiswick brewery will be sold for flats and brewing moved to somewhere cheaper.
Not sure where you get your information from. Hophead is now pretty much totally brewed in Chiswick. Dark Star are still brewing at PG but smaller batch experimental stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here