Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dark Star now owned by the Japanese

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Owned by the what? :ffsparr:

edit: How long till someone says it's just like saying Brit?

I genuinely didn't know that was now seen as an unacceptable racist term. I struggle to keep up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sake News

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I genuinely didn't know that was now seen as an unacceptable racist term. I struggle to keep up.

It's been controversial in the US since at least the second world war. I don't remember being acceptable in the UK during my lifetime and as far as I know you're not much older than me.

Wasn't there an incident a few years ago when a British publication used used the word Jap in an article?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Struggle to keep up, I think it’s largely been seen as derogatory since WWII. Perhaps more so in the US who rounded up all their Japanese-Americans into internment camps.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's been controversial in the US since at least the second world war. I don't remember being acceptable in the UK during my lifetime and as far as I know you're not much older than me.

Wasn't there an incident a few years ago when a British publication used used the word Jap in an article?

I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone get told off for using it. When you say 'at least since the second world war', I'm pretty sure that nobody during the second world war would have had a problem with somebody shortening the name of the nationality of the people they were trying to kill! So I highly doubt it was unacceptable then!

Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on it, it just caused an involuntary eyebrow raise when I read that it was apparently unacceptable. I'll add it to my list of terms not to use, that I probably wouldn't have used anyway.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone get told off for using it. When you say 'at least since the second world war', I'm pretty sure that nobody during the second world war would have had a problem with somebody shortening the name of the nationality of the people they were trying to kill! So I highly doubt it was unacceptable then!

Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on it, it just caused an involuntary eyebrow raise when I read that it was apparently unacceptable. I'll add it to my list of terms not to use, that I probably wouldn't have used anyway.

The Japanese Americans that were interned probably weren't big fans.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Japanese Americans that were interned probably weren't big fans.

I can’t imagine it was at the forefront of their concerns.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have had my hands all over jap's and let me tell you, it felt goooooooooooooooood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here