Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Hugh McIlvanney

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad to see that the greatest of all sports writers has died. He was the highlight of The Observer for many years.

His most celebrated article was the one following the Rumble in the Jungle but, for me, his account of poor Johnny Owen's final fight is superb example of how to write.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It must have been in 2007 for the 40th anniversary, but I remember reading this fantastic piece he wrote on the achievements Lisbon Lions in The Sunday Times which he just finished off with a line of - 'Not bad for a Glasgow and District XI'

A great writer. Very authoritative, really knew his stuff. A great, rich voice he had too for the broadcast narration pieces he did. RIP.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can't be the only one on here who saw this thread and thought... Damn, I liked him in Blackadder.

Now I know who he was, he was indeed a giant among sports journalists - they don't seem to make them like that anymore.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
McIlvanney on Football is one of the best reads of any sport books. RIP.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The doyen of sports writers, the benchmark, the best.

R.I.P. Hugh.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can't be the only one on here who saw this thread and thought... Damn, I liked him in Blackadder.

Now I know who he was, he was indeed a giant among sports journalists - they don't seem to make them like that anymore.

I liked him too Darling!

In fact l like them both, Tim McInnerny, and Hugh McIlvanney. Back to Hugh though, and as others have said, one of the greatest sportswriters of them all, and a throw back to my youth when I used to read his columns every Sunday in the Observer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here