Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Each Premier League clubs worst signings - Daily Mail

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't worry I did the clicking so you don't have too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...hese-worst-signings-Premier-League-clubs.html

TBH I wouldn't have bothered anybody over this, as you can see the Albion's entry is hard to argue with:-

Brighton
Leon Best (loan from Blackburn, 2015)

Leon Best joined Blackburn Rovers for £3m in 2013. From that point on, it was all downhill. Best failed to establish himself at the Lancashire club and was shipped out on loan to several clubs, but the nadir of his form came while at Brighton. After making 20 appearances for Derby without a goal, having started only three games, Best was reunited with Chris Hughton at Brighton. He would play 13 times for the Seagulls in the Championship, scoring none. In fact, he only had 11 shots during his loan spell. Bleak.

Not Hewtown's finest hour.

but for this bit of phenomenal business

Crystal Palace
Jordon Mutch (£5m, 2015)

Was outstanding for Cardiff despite their relegation from the Premier League in 2014, scoring seven goals in 35 games and prompting QPR to splash out £6m. After a miserable six months at Loftus Road, Palace swooped for what they thought was a bargain. It was not. The four-and-a-half year deal offered him quickly looked a mistake as Mutch again came nowhere near replicating his Cardiff form. Goalless in 40 appearances for Palace having not played since January 2017, the midfielder has been shipped out to Reading and most recently Vancouver Whitecaps. Earlier this month Mutch left Palace by mutual consent.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Must have been a difficult decision to choose the worse palace signing.

:lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought this would have been about each club's worst signing IN the Premier League, not in any league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought this would have been about each club's worst signing IN the Premier League, not in any league.

It's Mail Online click bait fodder, what were you expecting "the hanging gardens of Babylon..."

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

My thoughts as well. Leon Best looked like Ronaldo compared to Jonathan Obika and Cackpom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My thoughts as well. Leon Best looked like Ronaldo compared to Jonathan Obika and Cackpom.

Yep

415BA7F800000578-4595668-image-m-39_1497264905177.jpg

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
It's Mail Online click bait fodder, what were you expecting "the hanging gardens of Babylon..."

"Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically" at the very least :wave:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

At least Obika used to try. It just wasn't the sport for him. Cackpom....well...what a lazy shit he was. Nothing worse than a player who clearly had ability but just couldn't be arsed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not so long ago I think the vote amongst NSCers could well have been then record signing Jurgen Locadia :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not so long ago I think the vote amongst NSCers could well have been then record signing Jurgen Locadia :wink:

I think you'll find it was just a couple of lone wolves ( :shrug: ) while everybody else has been incredibly supportive of Big Jurg.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Preferred Best to Kemy.

Kemy was indeed an utter disaster at this club (hopefully not too expensive, mind). This little Twitter exchange I saw the other week was quite interesting though:

[tweet]1083063016822845440[/tweet]
[tweet]1083067038132830209[/tweet]
[tweet]1083071378012733442[/tweet]

Fat and unadaptable would be the unkind way of looking at it then. His passing never looked good enough to be a holding midfielder either anyway IMO, but if he was being asked to play out of what he considered to be his normal position, then its not overly surprising he was shithouse.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
If we are looking at signings we've made whilst we weren't even in the Premier League, I think we can find worse than Leon B, although you'd have to go a bit further back.

How about Ashley Neal, Valur Gislasson or Michael Mahoney-Johnson?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Watching Obika going through against Hull in the FA Cup = worst ever signing for me. He came claiming he was prolific as well!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Confusing criteria judging by the Albion / Palace examples in the OP.

Is it the clubs' "worst player signed" (Best wasn't very good / effective) or "worst ever signing". For the latter transfer fee, dressing room disruption, cost of wages, etc all come into play.

If Mutch cost £8m or so in fees and wages, and contributed little, then he's clearly a candidate for "worst ever signing" but there's no way he is their "worst player signed" - there will be scores of worse players in their fairly recent Championship history. yet the choice of Best seems based on an entirely different criteria - apart from being rubbish, he wasn't a truly bad signing - he cost us pennies and was only here for ten minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here