Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test, England tour of West Indies at Bridgetown, Barbados

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
3 Tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s in prospect.

West Indies captain Jason Holder: "Our consistency is something that has really plagued us in the past. Particularly with our batting. I just think we need to start the series well by putting some runs on the board in the first innings and making an early statement."

England captain Joe Root: "It's a great opportunity for this side to go one further, show that we're desperate to get to that No.1 status and keep developing as a squad. We know it's been one win in a long time here. It's tough for English sides to come here and win, and this West Indies team are very good in their own conditions."

Lots of talk about the pitch...

The pitch was quite the picture earlier this week - brown and mottled, and a pretty scary sight for batsmen who like to be able to judge a surface on appearances. But, on closer inspection on Monday, both sides seem to agree it's not quite the monster that was being talked up. The England camp have described it as "tacky", and crumbly, too, and a heavy night of rainfall won't have helped speed it up. The weather, by all accounts, is lovely now, thanks for asking.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
England vs West Indies - First Test, Barbados

Lot of talk that Stuart Broad isn't warming up and isn't playing, surprising as he seemed in excellent nick in the warm up games (including claiming a hattrick).

Toss at 13.30, first ball at 14.00

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lot of talk that Stuart Broad isn't warming up and isn't playing, surprising as he seemed in excellent nick in the warm up games (including claiming a hattrick)....

Someone has to make way for the second spinner (Rashid or Leach?), and it looks like Sam Curran will get the nod ahead of Stuart Broad.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England captain Joe Root loses the toss and West Indies will bat first. Definitely an interesting first session ahead.

Adil Rashid is the 2nd spinner, Stuart Broad misses out.

Darren Bravo is back for his first Test appearance in more than two years, and no frontline spinner.

#diffrentstrokes

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Someone has to make way for the second spinner (Rashid or Leach?), and it looks like Sam Curran will get the nod ahead of Stuart Broad.

Is the right answer, two spinners for sure plus the Root option

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
First session is huge, lets hope we can make some early inroads and get them 3 or 4 down by lunch.

C'mon England, you can do it!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
West Indies: 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 John Campbell, 3 Shai Hope, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Shimron Hetmyer, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (capt), 9 Kemar Roach, 10 Alzarri Joseph, 11 Shannon Gabriel

England: 1 Rory Burns, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Jonny Bairstow, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler, 7 Ben Foakes (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Sam Curran, 10 Adil Rashid, 11 James Anderson

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Someone I follow on Twitter who has seen a lot of cricket in the West Indies thinks two spinners might be the wrong option as variable bounce from back of a length is more likely. We shall see. Could be a really fascinating series this one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah Barbados - Easily the very best place, on this planet, I've visited, and I've been to Portslade.
(limited reference points)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s on Talk Sport 2 if you want radio commentary......I feel like a traitor writing that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Someone I follow on Twitter who has seen a lot of cricket in the West Indies thinks two spinners might be the wrong option as variable bounce from back of a length is more likely. We shall see. Could be a really fascinating series this one.

Aggers agrees with that after 30" of play................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here