Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women vs Man Utd 3rd February in the FA Cup

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
The next home game (i.e. at Crawley) for the Womens team is in the FA Cup against Manchester United. Despite Utd being a league below Brighton, this could be a very competitive match as having finally launched their Womens team, Man Utd have put a fair bit of money into it and they have won 9 of their 11 games in the league scoring 52 times, for only 4 goals conceded.

Tickets are available from Seagulls Tickets in advance as usual until the 1st February for the following prices:

Adult: £7.00, 65+: £6.00, Under-21: £6.00, Under-18: £5.00, Under-10: £3.00

If you are a WSL Season Ticket holder, you can get into the match free and WSL season ticket holders can also buy up to 3 additional tickets in advance for only £1 each - bargain!

Free travel is again provided from various locations by Seagull Travel.

The match kicks off at 12.30pm, which means that you can also get along to watch another sussex womens team in the FA Cup as Crawley Wasps take on Arsenal at 3pm at Oakwood FC in Crawley.

Would be great to get a decent crowd supporting the Albion, not only to cheer on the team but so we can drown out the local Man Utd supporters! :lol:

UTA!

:albion2:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wow, we sure seem to be playing Man Utd a lot recently

</PremierLeagueTeamProblems>

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Who cares? Not many judging by the replies!! Low quality minority sport. Why are the media so obsessed with women's football? Why an earth do we have to put up with them as pundits as well? Alex Scott very attractive and all that but what right has she got to sit alongside Carragher, Souness etc offering her views? Likewise now with cricket with bird pundits.........wonder what Botham makes of it?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
:wave:

I care.

It's rapidly growing as a sport. It is only the first year of having a fully professional top league remember. Quality will improve every year, and I'm glad the Albion ladies will be a part of that journey, hopefully in the top division!

The media is promoting the sport, in part because there is an ongoing push for gender equality. That's fair enough surely? Football is terrible for it. The aim should be to match the levels of Tennis when it comes to equal wages, and skill levels. Not surprising as it was banned by the FA until 1971! - The women's game has a lot of catching up to do, but it will get there.

Fair points and well said. Tennis doesn't pay equal wages as per game the women earn more, ridiculous as far more interest in the men's game.

explymouthnige

explymouthnige
Jul 5, 2009
Upper Beeding
I assume this is being played at the Broadfield Stadium (Crawley United stadium). It is advertised as being at the 'The People's Pension Stadium' which is different to all the rest of our home games.

Confused in Steyning

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I assume this is being played at the Broadfield Stadium (Crawley United stadium). It is advertised as being at the 'The People's Pension Stadium' which is different to all the rest of our home games.

Confused in Steyning

Yes it is - Crawley got new sponsorship for the stadium in the middle of September so it changed from the 'Checkatrade' to 'Peoples Pension' stadium, though I prefer its original name of Broadfield! ;)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I care.

It's rapidly growing as a sport. It is only the first year of having a fully professional top league remember. Quality will improve every year, and I'm glad the Albion ladies will be a part of that journey, hopefully in the top division!

The media is promoting the sport, in part because there is an ongoing push for gender equality. That's fair enough surely? Football is terrible for it. The aim should be to match the levels of Tennis when it comes to equal wages, and skill levels. Not surprising as it was banned by the FA until 1971! - The women's game has a lot of catching up to do, but it will get there.

Yes - good points.

The problem is I don’t want to spend time and money watching something that just isn’t very good.....

Also really doesn’t help that they don’t actually play in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
If you are a WSL Season Ticket holder, you can get into the match free and WSL season ticket holders can also buy up to 3 additional tickets in advance for only £1 each - bargain!

Just in case anyone had been trying to do this, there was a problem with the online booking system that only allowed 1 ticket to be bought at £1. This has now been fixed.

UTA!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I care.

It won't.

Womens football will never have the mass appeal of the mens game. Yes it has progressed the last couple of years to an extent, thanks to more media coverage and exposure of late, but its still very much a minority sport. Attendances and viewing figures bear that out, meaning the levels of sponsorship and money in the game is miniscule by comparison, so the notion of them ever achieving parity (wages-wise) with the mens game is fanciful. There's not the interest.

I've nothing against the womens game btw, it can only be healthy to promote inclusiveness and encourage more girls / women to take up the sport. If some people enjoy watching it then there's nowt wrong with that. But it will always remain a niche sport compared with the mass appeal of the more established mens game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's not the interest now, because the quality is low - a standard similar with non-league football.

However I predict with years of investment, with professional clubs and coaches, youth teams, and so on - we will start to see top quality players emerge in the women's game.

Once the quality is there, so will the interest. It will take time, but if it continues to improve then I don't see why the women's game can't one day have the same appeal as the men's, like it does in tennis.

The quality *might* improve over time, to an extent. But it doesn't have the speed, physicality, skill and power of the mens game, and thats never going to change. Sorry, I just cannot see football fans in their thousands either switching to the womens game, or attending womens games IN ADDITION to continuing to support the mens in any significant numbers. Not in our lifetime. Not ever. The appeal will never reach those levels, either nationally or globally.

No matter how skillful the BHA Womens team may become, there's absolutely no way I'd commit to watching them week-in, week out as I do with the mens team. Outside of the odd game for novelty value, I simply wouldn't have the time or the inclination and I very much doubt you'll find many who would.

Its a "nice" thought in theory, but the reality is it'll stay as a niche sport. And there's nothing wrong with that, but lets have a reality check.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Aren’t the U23 (men) at home to spurs at the same time, at the training ground?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
There's not the interest now, because the quality is low - a standard similar with non-league football.

However I predict with years of investment, with professional clubs and coaches, youth teams, and so on - we will start to see top quality players emerge in the women's game.

Once the quality is there, so will the interest. It will take time, but if it continues to improve then I don't see why the women's game can't one day have the same appeal as the men's, like it does in tennis.

I've watched womens football a few times and agree with Easy that the level is not the same as mens, but I much prefer woman's tennis to mens. It is slower but I find it more watchable because of that. Maybe woman's football will become like woman's tennis, more fun to watch.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Just bumping this in case anyone wants to go and support the Women today at Crawley. Kickoff is 12.30pm and theres free parking at the ground and free entry for Womens Season Ticket holders.

Match day prices on the gate are : Adult: £10.00, 65+: £8.00, Under-21: £8.00, Under-18: £7.00, Under-10: £4.00

Prematch brief : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/february/pre-match-brief-albion-v-manchester-united/

Match preview : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...omen-vs-manchester-united-women-on-03-feb-19/

Hope Powells view on the testing match : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/february/powell-a-big-test-for-us/

New signing connolly excited to debut : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/february/connolly-excited-for-potential-debut/

UTA! :albion2:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
No FA cup run for Brighton this year, as they lose 2-0 to Man Utd. We had our chances including a penalty but Buets shot was saved by Man Utds England international goalkeeper Chamberlain.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The next home game (i.e. at Crawley) for the Womens team is in the FA Cup against Manchester United. Despite Utd being a league below Brighton, this could be a very competitive match as having finally launched their Womens team, Man Utd have put a fair bit of money into it and they have won 9 of their 11 games in the league scoring 52 times, for only 4 goals conceded.

Tickets are available from Seagulls Tickets in advance as usual until the 1st February for the following prices:

Adult: £7.00, 65+: £6.00, Under-21: £6.00, Under-18: £5.00, Under-10: £3.00

Free travel is again provided from various locations by Seagull Travel.

The match kicks off at 12.30pm, which means that you can also get along to watch another sussex womens team in the FA Cup as Crawley Wasps take on Arsenal at 3pm at Oakwood FC in Crawley.

Would be great to get a decent crowd supporting the Albion, not only to cheer on the team but so we can drown out the local Man Utd supporters! :lol:

UTA!

:albion2:

Sorry, but all the time it's in ****ing Crawley then nobody cares. Bring it back in-house then many might express an interest at some level.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
A few articles about the match:

Brightons match report : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...omen-vs-manchester-united-women-on-03-feb-19/

Manager Powell admits Man Utd deserved the win : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/february/powell-they-deserved-to-go-through/

Man Utd match report : https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...d-women-2-fa-cup-match-report-3-february-2019

Photos from the match : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/february/women-gallery-albion-bow-out-of-the-cup/

Brightons next home match is Wednesday February 20th at 7.45pm in the Womens Super League.

UTA

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'll get caned for this I'm sure but, from what I've seen, I think women's matches would benefit hugely as a spectacle from being played on a slightly smaller pitch. Simply because goal-kicks etc tend not to carry so far and build-ups take a bit too long to be exciting because of the lower pace. The skill level and tenacity of many of the players is excellent so it's really not meant as a dig, and I think it's great for football-supporting girls to have their own role models that they could follow into the professional game. Purely a practical suggestion. Whether I'll ever be THAT interested in watching it... not sure. Maybe as a summer alternative to the men's game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here