Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex Senior Cup - we've not enough U23 players

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Sussex Senior Cup fixture against Eastbourne Town on Wednesday has been postponed because we don't have enough U23s to make a team.

http://eastbournetown.com/

Should we be forced to forfeit ?
WTF? Surely it's only convention that we play our U23s in this competition? We play some U18s in U23 matches, so we can do that, plus give run outs to one or two rarely used senior players, surely.

If we can't manage to organise that, then yes, we probably should be forced to forfeit. The only caveat would be if we had an outbreak of short term illness, like a flu epidemic amongst our youngsters, in which case it would be excusable to postpone. Is that the case?

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Given we only tend to play the 18's in this fixture it is very odd, even if most would have played last night. Unless there's a very good reason for it it looks like very poor form.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
WTF? Surely it's only convention that we play our U23s in this competition? We play some U18s in U23 matches, so we can do that, plus give run outs to one or two rarely used senior players, surely.

If we can't manage to organise that, then yes, we probably should be forced to forfeit. The only caveat would be if we had an outbreak of short term illness, like a flu epidemic amongst our youngsters, in which case it would be excusable to postpone. Is that the case?

this. no excuse (other than illness) a club of our size cant put out 16 players. what are all those in the academy doing?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Have the U23’s got a match this week? I know we’ve loaned a fair few out but surely we could put a team out consisting of U23’s, U18’s (not involved v Man U) or 1st team squad players :shrug:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Have the U23’s got a match this week? I know we’ve loaned a fair few out but surely we could put a team out consisting of U23’s, U18’s (not involved v Man U) or 1st team squad players :shrug:

The last game they played was Vs Liverpool on 14th Jan, and next game is the small matter of Bayern Munich on 30th, so nothing planned for this week.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
If we have under 18's in the Sussex Senior Cup and not the u23's then given the u18's played in the FA Youth Cup last night then that would take president over the Sussex Senior Cup and if our u23's have not played the requisite games in previous rounds of the Sussex Senior Cup then we would not be able to backfill with them. Hence the need to postpone the fixture. By the way this is my take on it and not on any info I have.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If we have under 18's in the Sussex Senior Cup and not the u23's then given the u18's played in the FA Youth Cup last night then that would take president over the Sussex Senior Cup and if our u23's have not played the requisite games in previous rounds of the Sussex Senior Cup then we would not be able to backfill with them. Hence the need to postpone the fixture. By the way this is my take on it and not on any info I have.

It's the U23s

Eastbourne Town have 'Ultras'?

I turned up at Woodside Road, Worthing for an Athenian League match (I think) in the mid 1970s against Eastbourne, only to be greeted with a sign saying the match had been postponed because the visitors couldn't raise a team. Might have been Eastbourne United though...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

I turned up for an Athenian League match (I think) in the mid 1970s against Eastbourne, only to be greeted with a sign saying the match had been postponed because they couldn't raise at team. Might have been Eastbourne United, though...

Did Eastbourne Borough exist back then? Or were they called Langney FC in those days?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's the Sussex Senior Cup - as far as I know it's just become a convention that we play our youngsters, not our first teamers. So, what's stopping us giving a bit of game time to the likes of Schelotto, Burn and Sanchez? Surely we can rustle up a few more youngsters to make up a team. Eastbourne fans have got every right to have a damn good moan. IMHO. Sadly, unless there are factors we don't know about, this sounds like Brighton playing Billy Big-Bollocks.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I turned up at Woodside Road, Worthing for an Athenian League match (I think) in the mid 1970s against Eastbourne, only to be greeted with a sign saying the match had been postponed because the visitors couldn't raise a team. Might have been Eastbourne United though...

Yes, we appear to far too billy big bollocks for the Eastbourne Ultras. Interesting that it looks like people would have had to pay to get into the ground to see the “match off” sign leaning against the goalpost!

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Did Eastbourne Borough exist back then? Or were they called Langney FC in those days?

It's Eastbourne town not Eastbourne borough. Eastbourne for some reason has three non league teams, Eastbourne borough (used to be called Langley sports) Eastbourne town and Eastbourne United.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I am not sure that you are correct on your assumption, but wouldnt argue, The County Senior Cup takes precedent over all other competitions that a club plays in and every club has to take part in their County cup competition at whatever level unless granted an exemption. This happens in Surrey as CPFC get an exemption but play the winners of the Surrey Senior Cup away in aid of the Benevolent Fund pre season, as a condition of this exemption. That is what did happen in the 90s so assume it is still the same now. As regards qualification to play in it the ruling on having played a certain number of gamed didnt come into force until the later stages usually the semi finals, again the rules may have changed since my involvement with it.

ps Just read the Sussex County FA statement apparently the national competition take precedence over county fixtures. I am wrong but I do know that Senior Cup Competitions take precedence over league fixtures for non league clubs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here