Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton aka University Of Sussex Honorary Degree 2019

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good work from Sussex University. Chris is hugely deserving and we are so lucky to have him.

In passing - the club's official university partner, University of Brighton, took the strange move of awarding their Albion related honorary degree to the multi-billionaire Tony Bloom...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Good for Chris, but an odd "also known as" name - "University Of Sussex Honorary Degree 2019" - will be a challenge to find a new song?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is this like when Prince became a symbol?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good work from Sussex University. Chris is hugely deserving and we are so lucky to have him.

In passing - the club's official university partner, University of Brighton, took the strange move of awarding their Albion related honorary degree to the multi-billionaire Tony Bloom...

It isn't 'strange' at all, to my mind :shrug:

Bloom has done far, far more for the local community than CH.

Bloom's benevolence has brought pleasure to tens of thousands, created hundreds of jobs, brought many millions of pounds into the local area, and helped many thousands of people through expanded charity / community schemes.

I can't think of anyone MORE deserving of local acknowledgment.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Bloom's benevolence has brought pleasure to tens of thousands, created hundreds of jobs, brought many millions of pounds into the local area, and helped many thousands of people through expanded charity / community schemes.

Head/Nail syndrome.

But CH also merits it.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Think you may have been whooshed there, chap. :)

argusneil

Dec 15, 2010
There's a new link here for those who have not seen the video yet. Heartwarming stuff and a fitting tribute to the great man.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Is there nothing this man can't achieve , well done sir :bowdown:

[yt]R5dgXKm78KQ&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

They've re-uploaded minus the sound issues below:

Wonderful to see. When I went to Sussex I thought that the institution would be stuffy about the football club but quickly found out how hard both sides work to build and maintain a really wonderful relationship. I loved my time at Sussex and it is so wonderful to see the Albion being involved so heavily in the University, whether that is (correctly) honouring CH or Leon Balogun giving a lecture.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What did he talk about?

It was in association with the Sussex Nigerian Society titled "our identity – exploring culture, heritage and integration"

I believe he spoke about growing up and succeeding in Europe with Nigerian heritage. Unfortunately, I haven't been a student for 2 years now but would've been there in a heartbeat.

[TWEET]1053235071593930752[/TWEET]

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It was in association with the Sussex Nigerian Society titled "our identity – exploring culture, heritage and integration"

I believe he spoke about growing up and succeeding in Europe with Nigerian heritage. Unfortunately, I haven't been a student for 2 years now but would've been there in a heartbeat.

[TWEET]1053235071593930752[/TWEET]

Wow. That must have been awesome if you're a Nigerian studying in Sussex.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a good recognition. Hughton has additional responsibilities. He is a trail blaze for black coaches and leaders in the football industry. I'm sure there is a feeling among many, whether real or imagined I don't know (I would have a better understanding if I was BAME) , that the route is harder. But, either way, he is a voice of encouragement and I'm proud to have him as OUR manager. Whatever our gripes, do we not feel proud of the vast majority of what our club has done, on and off the field, in the last ten years ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here