Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How you think Brexit should look?

What you think Brexit should look like

• Are you in favour of Brexit [Y]

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Are you in favour of Brexit [No]

Votes: 90 71.4%
  • If you answered Y, assuming that Brexit will go ahead is your red line:

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • We must have a controlled (hard) border between mainland Britain and the EU [Y]

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • We must have a controlled (hard) border between mainland Britain and the EU [N]

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • We must have a controlled (hard) border between NI and Eire [Y]

• We must have a controlled (hard) border between NI and Eire [N]

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • We must have NO controlled (hard) border between NI and Eire [Y]

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • We must have NO controlled (hard) border between NI and Eire [N]

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • We must have a free trade deal with the EU [Y]

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • We must have a free trade deal with the EU [N]

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • If you answered No, assuming that Brexit will nevertheless go ahead is your red line:

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • We must have free movement of people between mainland Britain and the EU [Y]

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • We must have free movement of people between mainland Britain and the EU [N]

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • We must have free movement of people between NI and Eire [Y]

Votes: 65 51.6%
  • We must have free movement of people between NI and Eire [N]

• We must have customs union with the EU [Y]

Votes: 66 52.4%
  • We must have customs union with the EU [N]

Votes: 17 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I actually think that around 40% of the population were ‘swing’ voters on the original vote.

The Leave campaign did an amazing job on turning more of those to leave (I won’t comment on how they did it).

Now that those 40% know what Brexit really entails, I’d imagine that very few of them have turned to leave. Instead, I’d wager that the vast majority of that 40% swing vote would now vote remain in an ‘informed’ referendum. It could be as much as a 70% Remain 30% Leave (although my money would be on 60%-40%).

This is exactly why Brexiteers fear another vote, they need to do everything to stop it because we all know it will kill Brexit dead.

The problem we have now is the original reason for holding an in/out EU referendum. It was done to unite the Conservation Party. Therefore, another referendum with the expected result could and would do irreparable harm to that party, in short, it would split it in two. For that single reason alone; there won’t be another referendum and we will Brexit despite a seemingly dramatic minority of 2019 voters wanting it.

Next steps? We have to avoid the Brexit that the tiny majority want. We could have a vote on that but it’s fair to assume that most remainers would want the closet relationship possible (Norway+). So I suspect, that will be the option Parliament votes for over the next month or so.

The two part referendum Reece-Mogg proposed before the process would have been the best way forward but people thought you could not negotiate with another vote to come. Sadly, we got the worst deal anyway.

Of those 40% ' swing ' voters, how many know what remaining in the EU entails. I keep hearing comments on how reform is needed but it is obvious to anyone that reform of the EU is not on the agenda. The same path is still being followed and the mission statement out of Brussels is unchanged. You cannot vote Remain if you want change in Europe. If you want the same, fine. A federalist superstate continually expanding, more and more central control and an ever increasing bureaucratic behemoth. A region dominated by Germany, with their strong manufacturing base and a set of trading rules designed to help them but not ourselves, with our strength in services.
In the two and a half years since the referendum, much has been learnt on both sides of the argument and it is a mistake to assume that the vast majority of Leave swing voters will swing back the other way. This particular divorce was never going to be a smooth process. The country has been divided for decades and all this has done has highlighted the divide. Brexit was a vote against the Establishment and their behaviour since has convinced many that they were right to vote the way they did. If anything, those views will be even stronger now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Close off Europe, apart from Ireland. Over time negotiate deals to open it up as it suits us.

Prioritise trade deals with non-EU countries, with focus on emerging African nations, China & USA, India and the rest of the Commonwealth.

I agree. I have been receiving some amazing business offers via email from Nigeria for a couple of decades now, and have been longing to follow up on them, and the only thing holding me back are pettyfogging EU regulations.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Of those 40% ' swing ' voters, how many know what remaining in the EU entails. I keep hearing comments on how reform is needed but it is obvious to anyone that reform of the EU is not on the agenda. The same path is still being followed and the mission statement out of Brussels is unchanged. You cannot vote Remain if you want change in Europe. If you want the same, fine. A federalist superstate continually expanding, more and more central control and an ever increasing bureaucratic behemoth. A region dominated by Germany, with their strong manufacturing base and a set of trading rules designed to help them but not ourselves, with our strength in services.
In the two and a half years since the referendum, much has been learnt on both sides of the argument and it is a mistake to assume that the vast majority of Leave swing voters will swing back the other way. This particular divorce was never going to be a smooth process. The country has been divided for decades and all this has done has highlighted the divide. Brexit was a vote against the Establishment and their behaviour since has convinced many that they were right to vote the way they did. If anything, those views will be even stronger now.

A vote against the establishment, who were swiftly voted back in to power at the earliest opportunity.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Stay in the Customs Union but leave the Single Market (EEA) would be the best unity outcome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Stay in the Customs Union but leave the Single Market (EEA) would be the best unity outcome.

in the EEA, out of the customs union is the best political outcome.

oh, do we have a problem here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here