Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Man Utd v Brighton

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Old Trafford
Date: Saturday 19th January
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Simon Beck, Michael McDonough
Fourth official: Lee Mason

TEAM NEWS

Alexis Sanchez is expected to be fit to face Brighton following a minor injury.

Eric Bailly is available after suspension but Marouane Fellaini has a calf injury and joins Chris Smalling and Marcos Rojo on the sidelines.

Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma will be assessed, having missed last weekend's defeat by Liverpool with a hip problem.

Left-back Bernardo and winger Jose Izquierdo remain absent with hamstring and knee injuries respectively.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Bower: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's smile is widening as the weeks pass by. But he will know the Wembley victory over Spurs will soon be forgotten if they drop points at home to Brighton as he attempts to become the first Manchester United manager to win his first six league games in charge.

The biggest difference in the change of the Old Trafford atmosphere is that United truly believe they will win a fixture like this. The feel-good factor is clearly evident around the club and their upcoming league matches gives them a real opportunity to continue that.

Only eight of Brighton's impressive 26 points so far have come away from East Sussex as they head to a ground where they have never won.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Manchester United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: "As I've said before, you go into every single game as a Manchester United coach, player or manager thinking you'll win the next one - that's just the nature of this club.

"We've had six good games but the next one is the most important one."

Chris Hughton: "I don't think just anybody could have gone in and had the record that he [Solskjaer] has now. I think you have to give him credit for that.

"They haven't lost for six games. Any manager coming in after Mourinho, I don't think they could have expected any more because the results and the performances indicate that."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]United have never lost at home to Brighton (W8, D2) and have won the last four meetings at Old Trafford without conceding.
    [*=left]However, the Seagulls have won the two most recent encounters: 1-0 and 3-2 home triumphs in May and August last year.
    [*=left]Brighton could become the first team to win three consecutive league games against Manchester United since Swansea in 2014-15.
Man Utd

• [*=left]Ole Gunnar Solskjær could equal the longest Premier League winning streak by a manager from the beginning of his reign at a club: six by Carlo Ancelotti for Chelsea in 2009 and Pep Guardiola for Manchester City in 2016.
    [*=left]United could score three goals or more in in four consecutive home league games for the first time since September 2011.
    [*=left]They have kept consecutive clean sheets, as many as they managed in the first 20 league games this season.
    [*=left]Paul Pogba has been directly involved in 53% of United's 15 Premier League goals since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took charge, with four goals and four assists.
    [*=left]His tally of seven Premier League goals is already his best return for a single season in the competition.
    [*=left]Marcus Rashford could make his 150th appearance for United in all competitions.
    [*=left]With five goals and five assists, Rashford has been directly involved in 10 goals in his last nine league appearances.
Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton suffered their first defeat in five matches in all competitions against Liverpool last time out (W2, D2).
    [*=left]Defeat against United would be their 100th in the top flight.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost a Premier League-high 19 away games since the start of last season.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton has lost all five away matches as a manager against Manchester United by an aggregate scoreline of 0-14.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has gone seven Premier League appearances without a goal, his longest barren run for Brighton in the division.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Sadly dont have a good feeling about this one. A point would be outstanding but gut says anything less than 3-0 would also be a fairish result the way Utd are currently going. Hope to be surprised by 5pm with more than a bad drubbing.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
This is a match for looking at the game in terms of 15 minutes stretches. The longer we don't concede the better - and of course Chris knows all this. I don't think this will be one for a more pre-Christmas Bournemouth approach (and that didn't work out that well, anyway).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Listening to their managers pre match look at me talk it seems we've already lost and we're lucky to be allowed to even play against them at all, i hope we absolutely turn them inside out .

CircularFaintBats-small.gif

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wish Mourinho was still in charge. I think we’ll play fine but still be outclassed by a much better, much more expensive side in form.

0-2

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have predicted defeat in the two fantasy leage things I do, but.....the Solskjær wheels have to fall off at some point, perhaps when least expected....so.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Listening to their managers pre match look at me talk it seems we've already lost and we're lucky to be allowed to even play against them at all, i hope we absolutely turn them inside out .
One player can do that on his own if he was allowed to play.

Fingers crossed CH plays him instead of the walking foul, palace reject, that is Murray.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
the player that took us to the prem and kept us there. show some respect you daft troll.

I'm playing the :bounce: at 16:45 game.

#TakingOneForTheTeam.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You caught one [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] :fishing:

I needed to bring it to an end quickly though, as although there's a teeny weeny element of truth, Pocket is almost right.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I needed to bring it to an end quickly though, as although there's a teeny weeny element of truth, Pocket is almost right.

tbh I know that trolling NSC is your thing and it amuses me and infuriates me in equal measure.

i've not had enough sleep to take a glenn dissing :)

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
One player can do that on his own if he was allowed to play.

Fingers crossed CH plays him instead of the walking foul, palace reject, that is Murray.

What stupid reference to Glenn Murray. And who is the one player you refer to in your post that can “do it on his own”

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Those Brighton “match facts” are all a bit negative aren’t they!

Manchester (U) are a reasonable team, they have a fine history and they’ve hit a bit of form......but......they aren’t the invincible team they were when they had the likes of Neville, Scholes and Ferdinand playing for them. We stifled a superior team last week, I’m sure we’ll employ similar tactics today as well.

0-0

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited (just leaving Euston)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports