Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Where there's blame, there's a claim...

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Hello good people of NSC

Advice sought please...

So I was just walking the dog, and on way back tripped over a storm drain on the pavement which was open / no warnings.

I have various injuries, cuts and bruises. And frankly the right hump, not least because the dog just sat there looking at me (in all the episodes of Lassie I've seen, I was expecting him to go for help...).

So, on the basis that everybody else does it... any suggestions as to the best way to claim some compensation? Direct to the council, or via claims company? I've already taken photos of injuries and the drain.

Thanks

The Rattler

PS, if Ernest claims I damaged his drain by falling over it, I shan't be stumping anything up for his sausage fund.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If it's just a few cuts and bruises just put it down as a learning experience. Maybe point out it's dangerous and I'm sure the council will give you an apology. Don't go suing a council which is likely to have limited funding as it is.

I hate this suing culture.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Used to wonder what the dogs would do if I keeled over.
It turns out the answer is 'fook all'.

God help me if I ever fell down a well.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
...we become more like the USA every day, if your not badly hurt then thank your luck, have a beer, put your feet up, have a laugh over it and move on. If everyone stopped claiming then there is more tax to pay for services or we can make a claim, causing the council money to be tied up in fighting you legal case and compensation. Only winner the lawyers.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Used to wonder what the dogs would do if I keeled over.
It turns out the answer is 'fook all'.

God help me if I ever fell down a well.

The upside being you could change your username to Timmy O’Toole.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Time for a new dog.

Ryan_guide-dog.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If it's just a few cuts and bruises just put it down as a learning experience. Maybe point out it's dangerous and I'm sure the council will give you an apology. Don't go suing a council which is likely to have limited funding as it is.

I hate this suing culture.

This... Somehow there is this "free money" and there aren't any consequences. Every single penny paid and every penny wasted on lawyers is removed from front line services.
If the payee has insurance, then you can be sure that premiums creep up a little for everyone next year, especially for the payee. So it is still taking money from front line services.

There are times when people have been reckless or negligent but there are far more times when it really is an accident and people should just suck it up.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You have me to thank for railway stations being better gritted in icy conditions and warnings to be careful of slippery surfaces.

Many moons ago, I slipped getting on a train. My shin had a big hole in it and no skin left. The hospital decided to take some stitches out as it wasn’t helping. It took about 18 months to heal enough to play football again (with the biggest shin pads I could get) but still any knock rips the skin easily.

I didn’t claim anything for the injury, but informed the rail company that I wasn’t impressed with their lack of gritting. After all, if I hadn’t been late, I wouldn’t have been running and wouldn’t have slipped.

It’s a talking point in the summer when I live in shorts, though!

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Hello good people of NSC

Advice sought please...

So I was just walking the dog, and on way back tripped over a storm drain on the pavement which was open / no warnings.

I have various injuries, cuts and bruises. And frankly the right hump, not least because the dog just sat there looking at me (in all the episodes of Lassie I've seen, I was expecting him to go for help...).

So, on the basis that everybody else does it... any suggestions as to the best way to claim some compensation? Direct to the council, or via claims company? I've already taken photos of injuries and the drain.

Thanks

The Rattler

PS, if Ernest claims I damaged his drain by falling over it, I shan't be stumping anything up for his sausage fund.

Just be thankful you are ok and healthy. You probably have a nice warm bed tonight as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here