Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bobby Robson: More than a manager

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just watched this on Netflix. Worth watching if you have not seen it. Lots of contributions from Gazza, Pep, Mourinho, Ronaldo, Lineker, Shearer, Sir Alex etc.

Pep says he phoned Bobby after he went to Newcastle and offered to come and play for them but Newcastle could not afford him. Also Gazza said Sir Bobby (that's what he called him) would phone him every 2 or 3 days to see how he was - if Gazza did not reply, strangers would be sent by Sir Bobby to go and find him to make sure he was ok.

A good film about a great man.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
What a tough man he was. That surgery!!
It also showed that Jose Mourinho as a younger man was just as big a plum as he is nowadays.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Just watched this on Netflix. Worth watching if you have not seen it. Lots of contributions from Gazza, Pep, Mourinho, Ronaldo, Lineker, Shearer, Sir Alex etc.

Pep says he phoned Bobby after he went to Newcastle and offered to come and play for them but Newcastle could not afford him. Also Gazza said Sir Bobby (that's what he called him) would phone him every 2 or 3 days to see how he was - if Gazza did not reply, strangers would be sent by Sir Bobby to go and find him to make sure he was ok.

A good film about a great man.

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched this and thought it is a fantastic, insightful documentary. :thumbsup:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
He was indeed more than a manager. I have told this story before but it is worth repeating. Used to live in Felixstowe and my 2 lads then 8 and 10 were playing football with some friends on Felixstowe cliff top on a Sunday afternoon. So happens Mr Robson and his good wife were out for a walk along the cliffs and beach. Sir Bobby starts to watch the boys and their kick about and before you know it he is in amongst them playing and then do a little coaching. Gave up 30 minutes of his Sunday rest day. His missus was very patient and said you can't stop him. The other thing is that he was such a nice person. A true legend.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
He was indeed more than a manager. I have told this story before but it is worth repeating. Used to live in Felixstowe and my 2 lads then 8 and 10 were playing football with some friends on Felixstowe cliff top on a Sunday afternoon. So happens Mr Robson and his good wife were out for a walk along the cliffs and beach. Sir Bobby starts to watch the boys and their kick about and before you know it he is in amongst them playing and then do a little coaching. Gave up 30 minutes of his Sunday rest day. His missus was very patient and said you can't stop him. The other thing is that he was such a nice person. A true legend.

Legend. Love some of the footage in the film of his time with Ipswich. He is indeed a hero in these parts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With regard to gutter press and gutter minds, yes he was villified and we have people on NSC itching to kick Bloom, Barber and Potter over the lack of Harry Kane (or equivalent) up front.

Some people can't tell poop from clay, as my old man used to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here