Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a really dirty team?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
According to these stats on Football 365

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-europes-top-stats-rundown

We are currently the dirtiest team in the premier league with 13.6 fouls per game,

Highest Premier League team: Brighton (13.6, 28th in Europe)

and Muzza is the dirtiest player in the whole of Europe (based on top 5 leagues only).

Most fouls (per 90 mins)
Glenn Murray (Brighton) – 3.5
Andre Hahn (Augsburg) – 3.4
Jaime Mata (Getafe) – 3.4
Simone Zaza (Torino) – 3.3
Raul Garcia (Athletic Bilbao) – 3.3

I wouldn't have classified us as a particularly dirty team, but maybe our more cautious approach means we are liable to give more minor fouls away?

Anyone we've played this season that you thought were worse than us?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Ref's don't seem to like our 'firm' approach to tackling. Nobody told our guys the premier league is a non-contact league

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Do 'fouls' in their stats include 'offsides'? In which case I'm not surprised Murray is up there...

I wouldn't say we were dirty. I agree about the minor aspect - few of our 'fouls' actually do anything much, many of them are simply niggly little stuff coming as a consequence of us letting the other team come forward so much I think.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Most shots on target (per game)
Barcelona – 7.2
Manchester City – 6.8
Manchester United – 6.5
Hoffenheim – 6.5
Bayern Munich – 6.4
Roma – 6.4

Absolutely no chance of us breaking into the top 100 of this stat..:rolleyes:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Murray does tend to arch his back and thus give away free kicks a lot but I don't think our fouls are malicious in any way. We see too many so called 'professional' fouls where a big name brings down Knocky or Solly and walk away with a yellow.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I wouldn't say we were dirty. I agree about the minor aspect - few of our 'fouls' actually do anything much, many of them are simply niggly little stuff coming as a consequence of us letting the other team come forward so much I think.

I think that sums it up. What I've liked recently, especially against the bigger clubs, is that we've made it uncomfortable and awkward for the opposition. Arsenal didn't really get into their groove at all at the Amex and I doubt many of their players enjoyed the game because Brighton were in their faces so much of the time. I think Liverpool were made to work hard for their win too.

I'd hate to see us become a cynical, fouling sort of side and I don't think there's much danger of that under Chris Hughton. But there has to be a physical side to our play and it seems to keep some flair opposition players at bay a lot of the time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Hughton is our worst offender have you scene the disgusting scenes on the touchline, utter disgrace..:ban:

He just incites our players to go over the top - and when the other team have been scythed down, he expects our boys to lean over them and do fist-pumps in their face.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hughton is our worst offender have you scene the disgusting scenes on the touchline, utter disgrace..:ban:

Messrs Warnock, Mourinho and Pardew have all made complaints to the powers that be, which is only fair.

el punal

According to these stats on Football 365

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-europes-top-stats-rundown

We are currently the dirtiest team in the premier league with 13.6 fouls per game,

Highest Premier League team: Brighton (13.6, 28th in Europe)

and Muzza is the dirtiest player in the whole of Europe (based on top 5 leagues only).

Most fouls (per 90 mins)
Glenn Murray (Brighton) – 3.5
Andre Hahn (Augsburg) – 3.4
Jaime Mata (Getafe) – 3.4
Simone Zaza (Torino) – 3.3
Raul Garcia (Athletic Bilbao) – 3.3

I wouldn't have classified us as a particularly dirty team, but maybe our more cautious approach means we are liable to give more minor fouls away?

Anyone we've played this season that you thought were worse than us?

I wouldn’t say we’re a dirty team. Aggressive, yes. For me, I feel that what me lack in skill we make up for in commitment - in their faces, let them know we’re here, never give an inch, we don’t bullied, up yours - that sort of commitment and aggression. I love it!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Surely it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work this out, the only chance we have against big teams is to close them down on the ball and stop them playing, assertiveness is a part of that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here