Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top South Coast Club

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Bit bored by the FACup tonight so did some digging to see if we have ever finished as the top Football League club on the south coast (Plymouth; Southampton; Bournemouth; Portsmouth; Brighton).

I believe we've only done this ONCE in 1959/60 when we finished 14th in Div 2 - unless someone knows better.

This season is surely our best chance to put this stat to bed - would be great to do it.

PG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit bored by the FACup tonight so did some digging to see if we have ever finished as the top Football League club on the south coast (Plymouth; Southampton; Bournemouth; Portsmouth; Brighton).

I believe we've only done this ONCE in 1959/60 when we finished 14th in Div 2 - unless someone knows better.

This season is surely our best chance to put this stat to bed - would be great to do it.

Torquay not on the south coast these days?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I was.thinking this the other week. Be nice to finish above plucky and be the top south coast club

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

PG

Was this our first season ever in the second tier?

Didn’t we lose our first away game 9-0 at Middlesbrough.

el punal

PG

Probably this is being pedantic but I’ve never considered teams in Devon/ Cornwall (Plymouth fans there!) as South Coast, which to me would be us, Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth. So I would never consider the likes of Plymouth, Torquay or Exeter to be included.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Probably this is being pedantic but I’ve never considered teams in Devon/ Cornwall (Plymouth fans there!) as South Coast, which to me would be us, Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth. So I would never consider the likes of Plymouth, Torquay or Exeter to be included.

Exeter isn't on the coast.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

You are spot on...Although technically on the coast, Plymouth and Torquay are Westcountry, along with Exeter.

The South Coast clubs are as you say, us, Pompey, Saints and Bournemouth and we have a real chance of finishing above them all this season...And despite it not really meaning much in the grand scheme of things, it would be pretty nice to attain.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
They were for most of our existence - and sometimes finished above us! The question was have we ever finished top of all the south coast clubs, so Torquay must be taken into account too.

We finished above Torquay too in 1959/60, viewers won't be surprised to hear.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair, Bournemouth are a better team than we are and have been for some time.

Southampton are also a better club than us, if you take into account the players they have had come through the ranks, like Walcott, Bale etc, who have gone on to far better things. We are not in the same league as them in nurturing young players.

We are certainly on the up at the moment but this has only been for the last couple of years, so let's not get carried away here.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'd prefer to do this as the highest finishing Merdian TV area team, that would really piss of Fred Dinage and drag Reading, Crawley and Gillingham into the mix.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
To be fair, Bournemouth are a better team than we are and have been for some time.

Southampton are also a better club than us, if you take into account the players they have had come through the ranks, like Walcott, Bale etc, who have gone on to far better things. We are not in the same league as them.
So Blackpool (Mathews), Preston (Lawrenson) etc etc are better clubs than Man City?
I know what you mean but live for today.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Southampton are also a better club than us, if you take into account the players they have had come through the ranks, like Walcott, Bale etc, who have gone on to far better things. We are not in the same league as them in nurturing young players.

We are certainly on the up at the moment but this has only been for the last couple of years, so let's not get carried away here.

I don't think anyone was?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Historically Pompey by some distance
They have had more success than all the other south coast teams put together

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills