Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Favourite US City / Town

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I've done all 50 states and three quarters of the largest 80 metropolitan areas (this is a look at me thread, isn't it?) and love the place generally.Having said that, I'm not too keen on San Diego although I know it is many people's favourite US City. All down the West Coast there is poverty, homelessness and hopelessness on a scale that beggars belief in the big cities and SD is no exception. We cleared our own 'jungle' a couple of years ago because of a TB outbreak. I actually live in Coronado which is a bit tasty but would never be able to afford it if I had to pay the bills. Now, take me to a cool college town or somewhere that's obscenely well off or dripping with history and you've got me. Pacific North West, specifically Oregon would be my recommendation.

Seattle, Puget Sound, Olympia and down to Astoria continuing down the Oregon Coast as far as the Avenue of the Giants in Northern California. Then head back up through Oregon via Ashland with its Shakespeare festival, quick 7 hour detour to Crate Lake, then up past Eugene through the Willamette valley and then out to Bend and the high desert East of the Cascades before rounding Mount Hood and coming back along the Colombia River gorge. Apart from white water rafting (for softies), mountains, prairies, hiking, wine country, scenery, culture, fancy restaurants and a climate similar to Bordeaux it hasn't got much to offer. Finally, get pissed up in Seattle to round things off.

Everywhere else is gorgeous in one way or another but the state I try to avoid is Florida (thought I'd lucked out when I was sent to Tampa only to discover that the climate is just like Sussex - four months of lovely weather and 8 months when it's just not nice outdoors).

We seem to be going back to The Rockies time and again from Montana (Jasper actually) down to Albuquerque. Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are brilliant if you avoid high summer. Do a one way trip from Salt Lake City up through Idaho and then out through the NE of Yellowstone over the Beartooth pass (11,000 feet up) before crossing the prairies to Little Big Horn and stopping off at Cody, WY for a Saturday night rodeo (bit of a zigzag that). Then across the prairies to places like Laramie and Cheyenne before ending up in Denver which has a zillion option.

And, if you ever want to be really bored, drive across Texas. **** me, that was a silly idea.

I think I ought to get back to work ... pub-time in 20 minutes, Just time to send out a couple of emails to ruin Monday morning for a few Limeys.

To be continued on Bell Cheeses At Work thread ...

PS special mentions for Chicago, Philadelphia, DC and (grudgingly) NYC.

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
from my tour of the west San Diego but as a city boy New York is the best. But I do appreciate visiting somewhere is different to living there.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
New Orleans for the party, Pensacola for water fun Gatlinburg for the mountain relaxation.
Plenty of others but in general avoid the interstate and massive cities and get on the highway if you want to see nice America.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Only done half a dozen, but I did enjoy San Fran.

LA on the other hand. Vile.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for San Diego, but I did like Chicago too. NYC is lovely but it's totally a holiday stop for me and not somewhere I'd necessarily want to live.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Like:
Stowe, Vermont
LA, CA
San Diego, CA
NYC, NY

Dislike:
San Fran, CA
Portland, OR

Headed to Maui this year, I imagine I'll love it.

Wasn't too fussed with Boston, Vegas, Dallas or other U.S cities I've visited.

Would like to get down to Utah for some motorbike trips.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Done ten states so far. Favourite city has to be Miami and surrounding area. Not just south beach, but downtown, coconut grove, Bayside, out to Everglade city and Key West were all superb. Not a coincidence that my favourite world cities are coastal.

Chicago and NY are both fantastic.
Enjoyed Vegas for what it was. Wouldn't want to spend more than 3 days there as it feels like your soul is getting eaten away.
San Diego I found was smaller than I expected but was ok, wasn't crazy about it though.

Never been to US city I actively disliked, like some in Europe and Asia I could mention. Even LA has its charms if you avoid downtown and the tourist spots.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
50 states hats off. Done 34.

I’ve done 20 ish. Difficult to remember all of them as I’ve done some long road trips over the decades and can’t remember the exact routes.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Of the places ive been fortunate enough to visit, Savannah Georgia for the preserved historic city centre, Washington DC for the museums and sight seeing and Chicago which just feels like the most American city ever.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Miami is excellent.

Lowest crime rates in 50 years announced today. That said, the bar has been pretty high at times.

I was probably a bit harsh, but you know how it is when you spend so much time in a place. I suppose my lack of Spanish doesn't help me get by so much & the locals lack of English!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've done all 50 states and three quarters of the largest 80 metropolitan areas (this is a look at me thread, isn't it?) and love the place generally.Having said that, I'm not too keen on San Diego although I know it is many people's favourite US City. All down the West Coast there is poverty, homelessness and hopelessness on a scale that beggars belief in the big cities and SD is no exception. We cleared our own 'jungle' a couple of years ago because of a TB outbreak. I actually live in Coronado which is a bit tasty but would never be able to afford it if I had to pay the bills. Now, take me to a cool college town or somewhere that's obscenely well off or dripping with history and you've got me. Pacific North West, specifically Oregon would be my recommendation.

Seattle, Puget Sound, Olympia and down to Astoria continuing down the Oregon Coast as far as the Avenue of the Giants in Northern California. Then head back up through Oregon via Ashland with its Shakespeare festival, quick 7 hour detour to Crate Lake, then up past Eugene through the Willamette valley and then out to Bend and the high desert East of the Cascades before rounding Mount Hood and coming back along the Colombia River gorge. Apart from white water rafting (for softies), mountains, prairies, hiking, wine country, scenery, culture, fancy restaurants and a climate similar to Bordeaux it hasn't got much to offer. Finally, get pissed up in Seattle to round things off.

Everywhere else is gorgeous in one way or another but the state I try to avoid is Florida (thought I'd lucked out when I was sent to Tampa only to discover that the climate is just like Sussex - four months of lovely weather and 8 months when it's just not nice outdoors).

We seem to be going back to The Rockies time and again from Montana (Jasper actually) down to Albuquerque. Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are brilliant if you avoid high summer. Do a one way trip from Salt Lake City up through Idaho and then out through the NE of Yellowstone over the Beartooth pass (11,000 feet up) before crossing the prairies to Little Big Horn and stopping off at Cody, WY for a Saturday night rodeo (bit of a zigzag that). Then across the prairies to places like Laramie and Cheyenne before ending up in Denver which has a zillion option.

And, if you ever want to be really bored, drive across Texas. **** me, that was a silly idea.

I think I ought to get back to work ... pub-time in 20 minutes, Just time to send out a couple of emails to ruin Monday morning for a few Limeys.

To be continued on Bell Cheeses At Work thread ...

PS special mentions for Chicago, Philadelphia, DC and (grudgingly) NYC.

Living the dream mate!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
San Francisco is probably the best for me, although really enjoyed Seattle, New York and love Vegas. Going back to NYC for 4 nights in a months time thanks to Avios and Hilton points.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Never been to the US and have no intentions of doing so.

Actually that's a rather silly thing to say. Sure as a country it's got a lot wrong with it, but so have most countries. But it has some amazing cities, and scenery as spectacular as anywhere in the world.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here