Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new Gillette ad

Lush

Mods' Pet
Causing a bit of a stir this morning. Personally I like it, and I think it will appeal to many women who buy shaving stuff for men. In terms of message, every little helps, as another advertiser might say.

[yt]UYaY2Kb_PKI[/yt]

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I agree with the sentiment but increasingly we are telling men that ALL their behaviour is toxic, maybe it is not all toxic but just being a guy, there seems to be a passion to demonise men in the media at the moment and looking through the Youtube comments there seems to be a consensus on this. Of course we should look at issues such as violence but the reality is that many masculine traits are actually the things that females find attractive and not all masculinity should be portrayed as negative behaviours.

There certainly would not be a campaign of 'toxic femininity' encouraging women to nag less, stop moaning and crying all the time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
advert got into the news cycle... well done the advertising agency, trebles all round.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree with the sentiment but increasingly we are telling men that ALL their behaviour is toxic, maybe it is not all toxic but just being a guy, there seems to be a passion to demonise men in the media at the moment and looking through the Youtube comments there seems to be a consensus on this. Of course we should look at issues such as violence but the reality is that many masculine traits are actually the things that females find attractive and not all masculinity should be portrayed as negative behaviours.

There certainly would not be a campaign of 'toxic femininity' encouraging women to nag less, stop moaning and crying all the time.

If women nag, moan or cry, do they deserve to be beaten up or die?

This chap is a retired CPS Crown Prosecutor. These are the facts

[tweet]1085148037385732097[/tweet]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It that's the best a man can get from Gillette, it's time for men to switch razors to a company that isn't trying to push a misandrist narrative.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would rather they explained why their products are obscenely over priced, there is an absolutely massive mark up on Gillette blades.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I wasn't sure, cynical marketing and all that.

Then saw Piers Morgan is using it to create publicity and try to increase his popularity with the insecure men's brigade.

If Pier's against it then I'm, all for it.

It's a useful principle to live by I find.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is not about demonising men.

Watch the ad again. There's plenty of examples of men being great in there.

Just be one of the great men. Simple.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's good ad. Thought provoking and fits in with their slogan too. Toxic masculinity (or being dick) is hardly on the decline these and it should be challenged. I am certainly not taking offence at this ad, in fact I think it is really rather good.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It that's the best a man can get from Gillette, it's time for men to switch razors to a company that isn't trying to push a misandrist narrative.

To save anybody else having to look it up:

misandrist
/mɪˈsandrɪst/
noun
a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against men.

You have not been charged for this service :thumbsup:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I wasn't sure, cynical marketing and all that.

Then saw Piers Morgan is using it to create publicity and try to increase his popularity with the insecure men's brigade.

If Pier's against it then I'm, all for it.

It's a useful principle to live by I find.

You must want a no-deal then.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Anyone offended by that must have the thinnest skin. All the bad behaviors in it are clear "masculine" tropes we've all seen many, many times in real life and all of them are indeed unwelcome. I wouldn't exactly say well done to Gillette as they are clearly trying to sell product, but to be insulted/appalled by it seems to me to be a bit of a weird response.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If women nag, moan or cry, do they deserve to be beaten up or die?

This chap is a retired CPS Crown Prosecutor. These are the facts

[tweet]1085148037385732097[/tweet]

Obviously not and that was not my point. Of course we need to rid society of negative male behaviours carried out by a minority of men. My point was that the media increasingly seems to demonise normal male behaviours.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I will reiterate my point that I like the sentiment, it is a pretty good ad, I am concerned that this can lead to 'male' behaviour in general being seen as negative. As per usual in the current climate though that any deconstruction of the advert will probably lead to being accused of being a misogynist in some way.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Anyone offended by that must have the thinnest skin. All the bad behaviors in it are clear "masculine" tropes we've all seen many, many times in real life and all of them are indeed unwelcome. I wouldn't exactly say well done to Gillette as they are clearly trying to sell product, but to be insulted/appalled by it seems to me to be a bit of a weird response.

I don't think anybody is insulted by it. It's just extremely cringeworthy and very unlikely to get the message through. In fact it's most likely to do the opposite (as evidenced) and they must have known that.

Therefore it's just cynical marketing targeted at women, who will likely buy their partner's razors.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Causing a bit of a stir this morning. Personally I like it, and I think it will appeal to many women who buy shaving stuff for men. In terms of message, every little helps, as another advertiser might say.

[yt]UYaY2Kb_PKI[/yt]
**** me dead ....what a load of old cock

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I am not sure people are insulted or appalled by it (if they are then they have a very skin thin as you say), I think it has invoked a few eye rolls though as it seems to be the current narrative to criticise males, in particular there seems to be a fashion for using 'white men' as an insult which for some reason is considered perfectly acceptable even though it is judging a person based on gender and skin colour.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here