Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Record 'Attendence' At The Amex Don't Even Warrant Comment Anymore

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's because every game is a sell out, so it doesn't actually depend on the importance of the game for how high the attendance is. The police risk decides it as they decide on segregation.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think it's because the word "attendance" doesn't mean how many people attended the game. So nobody gives a shit.

While we have for a while been announcing our "pretendence", with the ticket exchange working so well I'm not sure that we actually have that large a disparity at the moment.

I listed 2 tickets on friday evening (last minute change of plans) and at the time there were only 5 available around the ground. In seasons past I probably would have spoken to a couple of friends about using our tickets had I known well in advance we couldn't go, but if it got to the night before like this weekend I probably would have just left the seats empty.

I don't think the pretendence is the reason ... its the fact that we sell out Home games so easily and consistently now, nobody expects anything but a sell out.

(I also think that now we have stopped announcing the number of travelling fans, the attendence has a MUCH lower profile as an in-game announcement and/or talking point - gone are the days of endless threads deciding if this was tinpot!)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's a shame that the design of the Amex doesn't allow for further expansion. If we got to the PL, 30K was always going to be too small. We have got around 7K on the ST waiting list I believe.

In a way I find it frustrating that we could probably sell another 5K - 10K tickets for most matches but as we know, income from ST sales doesn't mean anything to a PL club now. It's all about the telly.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It's a shame that the design of the Amex doesn't allow for further expansion. If we got to the PL, 30K was always going to be too small. We have got around 7K on the ST waiting list I believe.

In a way I find it frustrating that we could probably sell another 5K - 10K tickets for most matches but as we know, income from ST sales doesn't mean anything to a PL club now. It's all about the telly.

Yeah. We need a new ground:moo:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
(I also think that now we have stopped announcing the number of travelling fans, the attendence has a MUCH lower profile as an in-game announcement and/or talking point - gone are the days of endless threads deciding if this was tinpot!)

I'd almost forgotten about this. There'd always be one or two tragedies who would rise joyously off their seats, turn towards the south and do their most animated otter impressions so that the 300 pissed up fat blokes from Blackpool felt welcomed whilst they flipped V's at us.

Thank god those times have passed. Could you just imagine that on Saturday after announcing the record attendance? Unbearable.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I cringe when they announce 'record attendances' now. We've filled the Amex many times before. Why bother saying it at all. It's a bit mickey mouse.

I don't mind them saying the attendance, but I agree - say it after the final whistle and then thank everyone for coming.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It just another figure a few hundred over 30,000, I can't really get excited about an increase of 5 (or whatever it was) over the old record and also very much in line with our season average anyway

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I think we're better with a ground 5-10k too small, then spunking another £100m (guess) expanding seating, facilities, travel, etc etc and then being 10k short of capacity on a regular basis because we dropped out the PL.

My understanding is that the ground CAN be expanded and it is relatively easy to add extra seats (just a case of adding tiers N/S and raising the roof), but the increase demand in exits/toilets/transportation is the real barrier to further growth.

I also suspect that the 7k on the waiting list wouldn't translate to 7k tickets as there will a number of bronze members on there whose personal circumstances mean they won't buy now but might want the option in the future.

I think 35,000 is realistic at the moment... 25,000 if back in the Championship (but doing well). Not sure the costs stacks up to allow for 35,000, especially, as you say, the real cash comes from TV rather than match day attendence at this level.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013

We put 6 month old baby Reagull on the waiting list the other day, he's no. 7511 and they reckon they turn over at about 1000 a year so the timing should be good - obviously depending on us staying in the PL...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think it's because the word "attendance" doesn't mean how many people attended the game. So nobody gives a shit.

Indeed. It's a bit like someone saying "I've grown the world's longest marrow.....

...by longest, I mean I have a long garden and that's where I grew it".

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Where do these extra seats keep coming from. Each game seams to be 30 seats more than the last. Anyone suddenly found a few seats shoved on to the end of their row?
Also, ST's listed for sale, are they counted twice?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The fact we’ve sold out every Prem home game but keep breaking our record attendances just makes me think we were doing a f*cking terrible job with segregation last year.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Ticket sales probably only generate less than £20m a year. Any large expansion or additional tiers will cost £10m's and we would have to sell them all for 20+years to even make back the investment.

I'm glad that we are at a stage when Liverpool come to the Amex and when they score only a handful of away fans have weaseled their way into the home areas. The harder it is to get tickets the less this will happen

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Where do these extra seats keep coming from. Each game seams to be 30 seats more than the last. Anyone suddenly found a few seats shoved on to the end of their row?
Also, ST's listed for sale, are they counted twice?

There was just 1 column of seats, with stewards sat in, as segregation in the south stand which freed up a few more than usual.

Noticed this morning someone had already edited the Wikipedia page for the Amex to mention this record attendance (I was looking to see what the capacity is).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here