Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On the BBC site today they quote someone saying the country (afghanistan) is now in danger of slipping into civil war - WTF have the last 20 years been about.

Afghanistan is another Vietnam and Korea.
Massive amount of US war machine, only to be ousted by the local militia.
A waste of money, manpower and embarrassment.
IMO of course.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Afghanistan is another Vietnam and Korea.
Massive amount of US war machine, only to be ousted by the local militia.
A waste of money, manpower and embarrassment.
IMO of course.

Economic opportunities by exploitative Western Nations such as the US and ourselves.

Bombs and gunfire being exchanged by Afghan forces and the taliban, with cities being occupied. Hundreds of thousands of civilians being displaced.

If it's not civil war already then I don't know what is.

But it's okay, it'll be occupied by Western forces within a month to create the illusion of peace for a while. Not forgetting those sweet, sweet economic opportunities though.

Don't think Afghanistan was about economic gain , there are/were loads of better places for that it was much more an attack on a country that housed the enemy who attacked the US. The mistake was not to do a better job in early 2000's rather than attack Iraq (which was a wall for economic gain) and which diverted attention and key resources away from it . there was also a big lack of understanding from the US about the nature of Afghanistan, the UK should have known better.

I can't understand how anyone thinks there has been anything other than civil war there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Afgans have a national army of some 180k. then there are the warlord structures with their militia. if they cant unite to hold back and defeat the Taliban, why should we bother again? and isnt this what the UN is for? subtext to some reports, i dont think the US mind if the Taliban take over, if they keep order and dont allow terrorist training camp as they did before. Taliban dont actually have any beef with the west, a live and let live arrangement might be fine by them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seems a bit odd the way that the Taliban have been all conquering.

Not much of a civil war as easy victory follows easy victory for them.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The only reason that historically (and I'm talking 1800's or so) we got involved was to stop the Russians coming down to nobble the Jewel in the Imperial Crown.

Personally I would let the Taliban get on with their wish to go back to the good old Medieval Times.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Terrible mission creep has led us here.

We really should have planned an orderly, slower withdrawal after Bin Laden was executed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The only reason that historically (and I'm talking 1800's or so) we got involved was to stop the Russians coming down to nobble the Jewel in the Imperial Crown.

Personally I would let the Taliban get on with their wish to go back to the good old Medieval Times.

I'm sure there's a few folk in Kabul right now saying amen to that. The same folk who have been deserted after growing up encouraged by the U.S and others to embrace western ways.

It's is easy in a chat forum to say 'let them get in with it'. A lot harder to think about the lives that some of these folk are now facing.

What the US, UK and others have done is unforgivable.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
On the subject of documentaries on the Middle East, anyone interested in the post 9/11 years should really watch 'Once upon a time in Iraq'. Amazing yet harrowing and depressing documentary that really shows just how little the Americans (and British but to a lesser extent) understand about how the Middle East/Islam works and how they in essence created the foundations for the Islamic State. The BBC get a lot of stick these days but when they get it right they are still superb.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a quote attributed to the Taliban that I heard years ago and have never forgotten. Talking about the Western Powers: 'You have the watches. But we have the time".

Taliban play the long game

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Yeah, they do stack up victories but an insurgency is easier and cheaper than running a government. They start in-fighting and running into problems and resistance when thy have to run a territory day to day, manage infrastructure etc. Usually falls apart and then they are gotten rid of.
They do a lot of damage while they are there though.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Indeed seems odd that an estimated 75,000 Taliban with no aircraft no tanks can defeat in very quick time a 300,000 strong US/UK trained and armed army backed by US/UK intelligence and air power

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
456 wasted lives and countless maimed and mentally scarred for life, and what for ??
If the Russians couldn't do it back in the late 70's with all their military might what chance did we have !!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here