Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool's 3 shots on target was their 2nd lowest of the season, in the league

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Along with their fixture v Everton.

The lowest being 2, a 'record' Man City (in Oct) share with ... ?

Answers on a postcard or stuckdown envelope.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Great.

But we had zero shots on target at home. So hardly a stat to shout from the rooftops.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great.

But we had zero shots on target at home. So hardly a stat to shout from the rooftops.

Well some of us were pretty bloody impressed with how we went about playing Liverpool, you’d expect most Albion fans to be able to see through the stats and the frankly stupid comments that some of the thicker pundits made.

Liverpool had a very tough game against us and were starting to get pretty frustrated before they got the penalty. Absolutely no complaints from me, just the observation that we may have been better to start with Andone rather than Murray.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Along with their fixture v Everton.

The lowest being 2, a 'record' Man City (in Oct) share with ... ?

Answers on a postcard or stuckdown envelope.

Is there a clue in the Dunk and Duffy Limitations thread?

Just did a very quick flick through Liverpool's results so far, and believe I am right in saying, only us and Man City have prevented Liverpool scoring from open play in a league match this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great.

Very true, a fact I was lambasted for pointing out after the game.
But the point still stands, Liverpool had their front 3 and Shaqiri (sp) on the pitch and still got fook all out of 'lil old Brighton'.

Also it was very easy to fact check by taking out of the equation the amount of times Liverpool have scored 3 or more in the league, this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is there a clue in the Dunk and Duffy Limitations thread?

Nope there's one other league team, although that result did have an 'open play' goal(s), where Liverpool had just 2 shots on target.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Well some of us were pretty bloody impressed with how we went about playing Liverpool, you’d expect most Albion fans to be able to see through the stats and the frankly stupid comments that some of the thicker pundits made
It was an ok result but the game was dire. If I was a neutral I would have been pissed off with Brighton for being so anti football.

I'm sure there's plenty of teams that could put 11 behind the ball and restrict Liverpool to a few shots.

Personally I would have preferred it if we had chucked the kitchen sink at them in the last 20 and risked losing 3-0

Before anyone has a pop at me I think we are still punching well above our weight and hughton is doing an amazing job.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was an ok result but the game was dire. If I was a neutral I would have been pissed off with Brighton for being so anti football.

I'm sure there's plenty of teams that could put 11 behind the ball and restrict Liverpool to a few shots.

Personally I would have preferred it if we had chucked the kitchen sink at them in the last 20 and risked losing 3-0

Before anyone has a pop at me I think we are still punching well above our weight and hughton is doing an amazing job.

Name them :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Fair enough. I really enjoyed the game, to me it was like a game of chess with us starting the game without some key pieces. We did brilliantly and although I take your point about going for them after the penalty, losing 3 or 4 nil may have dented confidence. With the next game being at United I think Saturday’s performance will galvanise the team. I imagine we will play exactly the same way next weekend too.

We have plenty of home games left where we can expect to be far more attacking in our set up.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Name them [emoji38]
Liverpool had 2 shots on target against Huddersfield earlier in the season and won 1-0. Liverpool only scraped past Everton .... These are 2 recent examples I can go back further if you want !

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Liverpool had 2 shots on target against Huddersfield earlier in the season and won 1-0. Liverpool only scraped past Everton .... These are 2 recent examples I can go back further if you want !

Huddersfield is the answer.

You can't have Everton as an example as that's in the question :facepalm:

In that game Huddersfield had 11 shots one of which was on target, begging the question:-

Where did it all go wrong?'

Edit - In this game Liverpool 'only' had Salah & Shaqiri on the pitch for the full 90 minutes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

At 0-1 you are always in it, concede a second in the first of those last 20mins you've chucked the sink at, and the next 19mins you are making up the numbers. As it was, we held them at bay while giving ourselves a chance to nick a goal.

I disagree with your first sentence as well. The game wasn't dire. I can see why those that only want to see chances might see it that way, but many people did and would have enjoyed the tactical play within the game and how it unfolded.

Second sentence, no, there are very few teams that could put 11 behind the ball and restrict Liverpool to a few shots. Bournemouth had a shade more possession than us, similar number of shots, lost 0-4. You can repeat that to many of Liverpool's opponents.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Huddersfield is the answer.

You can't have Everton as an example as that's in the question :facepalm:

In that game Huddersfield had 11 shots one of which was on target, begging the question:-

Where did it all go wrong?'
Name them [emoji38]

Edit Liverpool had 4 shots on target Vs Leicester earlier in the season. Leicester had 5 shots on target in that game

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Edit Liverpool had 4 shots on target Vs Leicester earlier in the season. Leicester had 5 shots on target in that game

4 is MORE THAN 3.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You seem obsessed with 'shots on target'.

You can have a shot on target that is dollied into the keepers arms compared to a ferocious shot that hits the post. In your mind the dolly into the keepers arms is worth more than the shot onto the woodwork, even though that was the better chance. I think you should always look at chances overall as stats don't actually count what was or wasn't a dangerous attempt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seem obsessed with 'shots on target'.

You can have a shot on target that is dollied into the keepers arms compared to a ferocious shot that hits the post. In your mind the dolly into the keepers arms is worth more than the shot onto the woodwork, even though that was the better chance. I think you should always look at chances overall as stats don't actually count what was or wasn't a dangerous attempt.

Sssssshhhhh, we don't come out well on that either :lol:

Although I put that down to Murray starting instead of Andone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here