Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 115
  1. #51
    Members The Clamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    West is BEST
    Posts
    8,352


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really so what should I have put then Genius? This chines bloke....this yellow bloke...this slitty eyed bloke

    See, so I tried to refer to someone as oriental as he appeared to have come from the Orient, i.e. SOuth Asia, yet you choose to make a point about it ..


    I think that says more about you than anyone else on here.
    I’m not saying don’t use it. I’m not saying it’s offensive. I’m saying it’s incorrect. You’re the one making an argument out of it.
    Anyway, you should be thanking me. My knowledge on the subject has taken one of your characteristically dull as ditchwater threads and made it into something approaching interesting.
    Plus you get to learn something and paradoxically continue to be pig ignorant. What a wonderful world we live in.
    Love Great Britain
    Love the EU
    Love Inclusion and Progression.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #52
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Kitbag in Dubai
      Posts
      5,318


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I disagree. My sister in law is Chinese and doesn’t like being called Oriental.

      It’s a common and entrenched mistake that has been perpetuated for many many years. Offence is a personal thing but it is incorrect . I had no idea it was outdated in North America. I was taught at school some 30+ years ago that it is incorrect use of language.
      You're perfectly entitled to disagree here.

      The South Korean family with whom I'm going to watch some Asian Cup games with have no problem being described as Asian, Korean or Oriental.

      It's a bit like being called English, British or European.

      All can be simultaneously accurate descriptions, although some may have a particular preference, especially in the current political clime.
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018
    • #53
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      8,352


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hart's shirt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're perfectly entitled to disagree here.

      The South Korean family with whom I'm going to watch some Asian Cup games with have no problem being described as Asian, Korean or Oriental.

      It's a bit like being called English, British or European.

      All can be simultaneously accurate descriptions, although some may have a particular preference, especially in the current political clime.
      As I’ve said. Whether anyone finds it offensive or not is not the point I’m raising. The point I’m making is it’s incorrect use of language.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #54
      Punxsatawney Phil Curious Orange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      On NSC for over a decade...
      Posts
      8,877


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As Iíve said. Whether anyone finds it offensive or not is not the point Iím raising. The point Iím making is itís incorrect use of language.
      You'll presumably concede the use of language point now though, given the consensus of the various dictionary definitions?
    • #55
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Kitbag in Dubai
      Posts
      5,318


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As Iíve said. Whether anyone finds it offensive or not is not the point Iím raising. The point Iím making is itís incorrect use of language.
      Offence doesn't come into it at all with Ilsam and his family. There's nothing to be offended about.

      They would say that they're from Korea, from Asia and from the Orient, and would describe themselves as Koreans, Asians and Orientals.

      And they're quite correct...

      "In British English, the term Oriental is sometimes used to refer to people from East and Southeast Asia (such as those from China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia and Laos). "Asian" in Great Britain and Ireland generally refers to people that come from South Asia (in particular Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives) since British Asians make up approximately 6.9% of the population within the United Kingdom.[16] "Orientals" refers exclusively to people of East and Southeast Asian origin, who comprise 0.7% of the UK population as a whole, and 5.3% of the non-European population. Of these, the majority are of Chinese descent.[17] It is not generally considered to be an offensive term and is indeed used by the British police and other agencies to describe persons of East or Southeast Asian appearance. Orient is also a word for the lustre of a fine pearl.[18] Hong Kong, a former British colony, has been called "Pearl of the Orient".

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018
    • #56
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      8,352


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Curious Orange View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You'll presumably concede the use of language point now, given the consensus of dictionary definitions?
      No, I maintain I’m correct I’m afraid. It’s a long perpetuated mistake.

      As an aside, it’s rather a useful term as we all know who is being described but it is incorrect and therefore I don’t use it.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #57
      Members Commander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Location
      London
      Posts
      10,853


      1 Not allowed!
      I wonder* how many clubís message boards in the country would have descended into this line of argument from this thread. People telling other people who should and shouldnít be offended (on behalf of others, none of who are even close to fitting the demographic mentioned) by which particular (completely well-meaning) term.

      2018 is a very strange place.




      *I donít really, Brighton is unique.
      "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."
    • #58
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      8,352


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hart's shirt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Offence doesn't come into it at all with Ilsam and his family. There's nothing to be offended about.

      They would say that they're from Korea, from Asia and from the Orient, and would describe themselves as Koreans, Asians and Orientals.

      And they're quite correct...

      "In British English, the term Oriental is sometimes used to refer to people from East and Southeast Asia (such as those from China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia and Laos). "Asian" in Great Britain and Ireland generally refers to people that come from South Asia (in particular Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives) since British Asians make up approximately 6.9% of the population within the United Kingdom.[16] "Orientals" refers exclusively to people of East and Southeast Asian origin, who comprise 0.7% of the UK population as a whole, and 5.3% of the non-European population. Of these, the majority are of Chinese descent.[17] It is not generally considered to be an offensive term and is indeed used by the British police and other agencies to describe persons of East or Southeast Asian appearance. Orient is also a word for the lustre of a fine pearl.[18] Hong Kong, a former British colony, has been called "Pearl of the Orient".

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
      Yes. It’s “sometimes used”.

      It’s not correct.

      And I am willing to concede I may be wrong here but I don’t t think the police do use the term “oriental” to describe people. I believe they use a system of IC codes to avoid these exact discussions or accusations of offence/racism etc. “Orientals” or Asians would I believe be IC5’s. I think but I’m not certain.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #59
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      8,352


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I wonder* how many club’s message boards in the country would have descended into this line of argument from this thread. People telling other people who should and shouldn’t be offended (on behalf of others, none of who are even close to fitting the demographic mentioned) by which particular (completely well-meaning) term.

      2018 is a very strange place.




      *I don’t really, Brighton is unique.

      Whose telling anyone to be offended?

      Oh and heads up: it’s 2019.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #60
      Punxsatawney Phil Curious Orange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      On NSC for over a decade...
      Posts
      8,877


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No, I maintain I’m correct I’m afraid. It’s a long perpetuated mistake.

      As an aside, it’s rather a useful term as we all know who is being described but it is incorrect and therefore I don’t use it.
      Well, that is a choice you are allowed to make.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •