PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 12th January 2019
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West
Fourth official: Roger East

TEAM NEWS

Brighton are again without defender Bernardo, who suffered a hamstring injury against West Ham on 2 January.

Alireza Jahanbakhsh, Jose Izquierdo and Mat Ryan also remain unavailable.

Virgil van Dijk will return for Liverpool after missing Monday's FA Cup defeat at Wolves, but the Reds remain short of centre-back options.

Dejan Lovren is out with a hamstring injury and Joe Gomez is still unavailable, so Fabinho could again play in central defence.

Joel Matip has returned to training following a fractured collarbone and will be monitored, as will midfielder Jordan Henderson, who has been nursing a calf problem.

A host of key players rested against Wolves will be recalled to the starting line-up.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: A third Liverpool defeat on the spin wouldn't be destructive to their campaign but it would be corrosive.

Their December aura of invincibility would evaporate. Doubts would creep in if they lose a first top-flight away game at Brighton.

It's certainly possible given their defensive headache. The wily Glenn Murray will relish meeting any young pup or defender playing out of position.

Brighton have shown against Manchester United and Arsenal this season that they can live with top-six sides at home.

It'll take a mighty effort. I can't see them keeping a clean sheet and they must start well. But a draw to end Chris Hughton's miserable run against Liverpool wouldn't be surprising. The leaders must win their next three at home though.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton on his side's recent form: "Can we go into the game with some comfort? We can until kick-off time and then it's about how you perform on the day.

"They will be big favourites, as everybody would imagine, and it will be us doing as well as we can on the day.

"I'd certainly rather be going into the game in good form than in bad form."

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp: "Statistics from the past have no relevance in the present because it is always different. We don't think about the season before or 20 years ago.

"Two weeks ago I think everyone was so excited about the distance between [the teams at the top].

"We have now two games which we lost, which is not nice, but it is not a real problem because these games have gone as well.

"We only talk here [in the press conference] about the points and the distance, we never do that during the week [in training] because it is just not relevant."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have lost their last six matches against Liverpool in all competitions.
    [*=left]The Reds have won all three Premier League meetings, scoring 10 times and conceding just once.
    [*=left]Liverpool have never lost away at Brighton in the top flight, winning twice and drawing three times. Those five games have produced a total of 25 goals - 16 for the Merseysiders and nine for the Seagulls.
Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have lost just six of their 29 Premier League home matches, but five of those have come against the established top-six sides.
    [*=left]This will be the first time they have played a home game against Premier League leaders.
    [*=left]Brighton have scored a league-high 62.5% of their goals from set-pieces (including penalties) this term, but opponents Liverpool have conceded a league-low two goals from set-pieces.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have just nine goals from open play in the top flight this season; only Huddersfield, with five goals, have a lower total.
    [*=left]However, they have scored in each of their last 13 home league games, their longest such streak in the top flight.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton's side are unbeaten in three league games (W1, D2) - they have not gone four matches unbeaten in the top flight since a five-match streak from January to March last year.
    [*=left]Hughton has lost all six of his previous Premier League games against Liverpool as a manager. Gary Megson is the only man with a worse record against the Reds.
Liverpool

• [*=left]Liverpool could suffer three consecutive defeats in all competitions for the first time since January 2017.
    [*=left]They last lost back-to-back Premier League games in August and September 2015, under Brendan Rodgers.
    [*=left]The Reds have won their last eight Premier League games which have kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday, with seven of those victories by a margin of at least three goals.
    [*=left]Roberto Firmino has scored four goals in his last two Premier League games - as many as he had in his first 19 top-flight appearances this season.
    [*=left]Mohamed Salah has scored twice and assisted twice in his three Premier League appearances against Brighton.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Good feeling about today, be disappointed with anything less than 3 points.

Last edited:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've heard reports that Klopp has had people hanging around in the bushes and trees with binoculars, cameras and notebooks out at Lancing so, for that reason, I'm not expecting too much today.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm ok with Murray starting. He can hold up the ball and chase down their defence/lost causes for the first half. Hopefully we will still be in the game and Andone comes on with fresh legs. It's not the worst plan in the world. The good news is and that's how far we've advanced, I'd also be delighted if he's on the bench

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
We are 11/1 on Botfair to win this which has tempted me in for a few quid. Have also played Dunk and Duffy FGS 50/1 and 55/1 although the latter has since disappeared and is now 50/1 with Bet £3.65.

Would much prefer it if Andone played up front to give us an outball. When Murray played against Chelsea we were deperate doe pace up front to give us the outball and I hope that is the way we go today.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Glad to see Kevin Friend as ref, he was in charge when we played the Mancs and Palace this season, so, we’ll score 3 in the first half :albion2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Kevin friend as ref gives the Liverpool defence license to kick Murray all over the park, refuses to give him a free kick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think I'd prefer Murray to start today, he's still our top scorer. I just don't think Andone will get any change out of van Dijk if he plays from the beginning, I think he'd cause more problems in 20-30 minutes at the end than he would over 75 mins from the start.

If Henderson is indeed out, then there is certainly a midfield battle to be won today. We won't get close to a result against Liverpool if the game is being played by Salah, Firmino and Mane against our defence. Instead if we can disrupt their midfield, and press their defenders, then we will stay in the game. For that reason I'd start Bissouma instead of Gross and try and get amongst them.

Steele
Montoya Duffy Dunk Bong
Propper Stephens Bissouma
March Murray Locadia

There is also a case for Knockaert to start off the back of last weeks performance and for Locadia to get a rest, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if CH did that.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
We can nick this one if we have a solid defence today ... not going to pretend it will be easy & probably wont be pretty but a win is not just a win when its the league leaders at home

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH masterclass in defending in depth, closing down quickly and hitting them on the break is what we need today. One of the very few matches I think we’d be better off playing as the away team at home.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I’ve just travelled back from 17.00 it was 2-1 to the Albion #wereloose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
For me today will be about controlled aggression, disrupting their flow and fast counter attacking. Locadia and Andone for me as I think Murray will be bread and butter for Liverpool defense and these are less of a known threat. Would look to utilise AK from the bench.

Really looking forward to this game but have to keep dampening down my optimism. If we get a win today it will be our best result since promotion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here