Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The funny thing is that many of the attacks on Jones seem to be based around his youthful appearance, and come mainly from much older people, keen on reiterating the manifestly ludicrous concept that radical Leftism is a by product of impetuous youth, and that as people get older they become more 'mature' and 'sensible' (i.e. vote Tory and like Coldplay)
    This is not true.
    Just in case you're including me in that, I wasn't attacking Jones on his youthful appearance, just on him being a prick.

He does look young though - I'd love to see the contents of his bathroom cabinet.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      The funny thing is that many of the attacks on Jones seem to be based around his youthful appearance, and come mainly from much older people, keen on reiterating the manifestly ludicrous concept that radical Leftism is a by product of impetuous youth, and that as people get older they become more 'mature' and 'sensible' (i.e. vote Tory and like Coldplay)
      This is not true.
      Can't see me ever liking Coldplay but who knows what the future may bring .

0 Not allowed!
      This is not true.
      Getting older and maturity are not inclusive. There's no fool like an old fool.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

4 Not allowed!
      The BBC is right wing biased ....

Thanks who ever posted that, it'll keep me chuckling all day.
      Fresh Nappies wanted, CASH WAITING!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SAC View Post
      If he genuinely was on Rainbow, I would think so much more of him. A Bungled bit of Photoshop there.
      That is so "Him"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bladders View Post
      The BBC is right wing biased ....

Thanks who ever posted that, it'll keep me chuckling all day.
      A Classic case of , :
      "He dont know his left from his right !"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by piersa View Post
      This would appear to be the view of somebody who leans to the left politically. Quite a lot of people seem to think he's pretty decent.
      None of the things I've listed are contingent on any political leaning.

Of course lots of people like him. That has zero bearing on anything.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      Owen Jones is clever but not wise. He ought to realise that he comes across as everything that many people who might otherwise vote Labour despise - mouthy, full of himself and utterly convinced that his is the only true path.

That said, I thought (as did Portillo) that he was very brave in standing up to those EDL t*ss*rs who followed him down the street the other day.

Completely agree, he is the physical and intellectual manifestation of why Labour have lost touch with the working class, and particularly the white working class. He was previously viciously anti Corbyn niw he is his staunchest defender, his lack of political integrity (regardless of the justification behind many of his points) is risible. He is like a political Richard Dawkins, hes simply a negative of the very image he despises.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      I kinda agree with that. Maybe it's because I'm at completely the other end of the spectrum, but I worry about people who have so much hatred, anger and venom towards one particular party, group or point of view. Brexit maybe understandably is everywhere you look, which is fine because it's a huge deal or no deal for the country. But the way some people carry themselves when engaging in debate about it goes way beyond being 'passionate' about it. It's either points scoring for their side, personal attacks on opponents, which often makes them blinkered to taking on any other point of view, or looking at the situation from the other person's perspective. I look at some people's social media profiles and they are FILLED with shared posts about, let's be honest, hatred or belittling of another person or group's point of view. It's appalling behaviour, really and I can't see any time in the future that it's going to get better.

And that's just one example. Football fans are horrible to each other, people lose their shite about vegan sausage rolls and online newspaper comments sections have people foaming at the mouth about fictional characters in TV programmes! All of these reactions are often made without finding out the full story or the reasons behind the story people just jump on the bandwagon and follow the popular narrative. I think, sadly, a lot of it is done in the name of entertainment and attention-seeking. Trumpo and Piers Moron are two good examples of that, but those two last night (from the clip I saw on Twatter) and many other MPs are becoming just as bad. Part of the reason the country is in this mess and it IS a mess, whichever way you look at it is because people forgot how to communicate and take a step back from the hole they are in and look at the situation.

A lot I agree with, however I think there is a juxtaposition with social media accelerating political and social division and merely exposing it.

I think more people know their own mind than not, and not every comment or action connected to social media is committed by individuals blindly following narratives they dont know anything about. Sure there may be some but I think these are overplayed. Those that bang on about the worries that social media has, in my view are angling for some kind of censorship, and thats a far more worrying position.

1 Not allowed!
      The Spectator is turning into a horrible, irresponsible cesspit full of posh fascists.
      Owen Jones is brave, articulate, politically absolutely spot on and sometimes a bit annoying.

I have never purchased the Spectator but note its readership is less than 80,000, and lets be honest its political narrative and its contributors mean as a publication its a long way from Der Sturmer.

This exaggeration of reality by the likes of OJ is why political discourse and trust is breaking down. In truth there was is no rise of the far right or fascism in the U.K. today, there is just an increase in volume of voices that dont follow the establishments political tropes. Much of what OJ states in Chavs he is guilty of, he is the classic privileged leftie stereotype that thinks he can talk for the working class, but he doesnt.

If OJ or anyone else think that there are UK political parties in positions of power which are aligned with the likes of Jobbik (Hungary) Golden Dawn (Greece) Lega Nord (Italy) Swedish Democrats, National Front (France), Freedom Party (Austria) along with the myriad of other authoritarian supporting parties coming from political left and right wings in Europe they are again just exaggerating reality.

He (and others) need to stop doing that.