Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sir Andy Murray

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shame for him but he did well, had there not been three other World Class tennis players around during his career he would have won quite a few more majors

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
200.gif

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I saw him play at Eastbourne in The Davis Cup against Israel in 2006. He was 2 sets down to the world number 10,000/whatever in the second match and the prospect of the day finishing early and an afternoon binge drinking in The Eagle beckoned. He won in 5 sets.

I'll never forgive him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was genuinely saddened to read this earlier this morning.

Only the big 3 of Djok, Nadal and of course the GOAT have been better than him over the past 15 years. Nevertheless, in that time he's nailed 2 Wimbledon titles, a US open, several grand semi finals and of course 2 gold medals for Great Britain at the 2012 Olympics - for that alone he deserves the respect of the country.

Too bad that his hip injury has made him uncompetitive at the level he has become accustomed to, but I hope he aspires other Brits to kick on - no thanks to the useless LTA.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've literally never got the 'hatred' some feel towards him.

He is a WONDERFUL tennis player who basically won the Davis Cup by himself, won a gold and London 2012 and finally broke Wimbledon losing streak. All in an era with 3 other absolute superstars.

On the 'personality' front, he's hardly offensive is he? You don't see him putting his money in tax-schemes. You don't see him falling out of clubs. You don't see him splashed everywhere. You don't see him mouthing off in the press or on the court.

He is a bloke who is great at tennis. A bi-product of that is the need to talk about it which clearly isn't the reason he decided to play tennis. As it goes he's actually quite dry and funny but even if he was the worlds most boring man, I have no idea why that would make someone dislike him so much.

And for that absolute NONSENSE about 'hating' England......

Forget the money. This guy looks BROKEN that his retirement is being taken out of his own hands. I just hope he can get himself to Wimbledon for one final goodbye. He deserves it. A true sporting great.

I imagine it'll be the classic case that, once he retires and you truly assess his career, the realisation of how good he was/is will hit home.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
On the 'personality' front, he's hardly offensive is he? You don't see him putting his money in tax-schemes. You don't see him falling out of clubs. You don't see him splashed everywhere. You don't see him mouthing off in the press or on the court.

For someone with no personality he is loved by the media and fellow pros male and female due to the way he stands up for the Ladies tour.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was sceptical about him years back but he slowly won me over by battling on against the odds to win Grand Slams that no Brit had won for decades. He has always been pretty honest to the public and the media and has developed a great sense of humour.

They said on the radio that the last 18 months has been a real battle for him, daily 4 hour sessions of swimming and massage and therapy in order to try to get his hip working again and it's all been in vain it seems. I'll miss him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Announced he will retire after Wimbledon this year if his body can make it that far.

Arguably Britain's greatest sportsman. :bowdown:

The article said he may not make it as far as Wimbledon, but if he can play through the pain, he will.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

Edited to add the interview. I really feel for him, as he loved his sport, and could have gone on for another four or five years.

[tweet]1083612801820749824[/tweet]

Last edited:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Love the guy.

Incredibly focused and hard working, plus I think he's bang on with a lot of his comments regarding the media and current affairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here