Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Old Albion photo glass plate images

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
I love old photos, expecially old Albion photos. I expect some will have seen this archive of old glass plate images from the Argus from the 1950s and 1960s on this page: https://www.brightonandhovestuff.co.uk/argus-photo-archive but I hadn't.

I can't see any info on each image but occasionally I recognise a face from the late 50's and early 60's. There are several that seem to show the old West Stand being constructed or re-built. And a floral display from Palmeira Square congratulating Albion on promotion to the old second division I presume. You can apparently buy any for a fiver but hopefully they print them the right way round as some seem to have the shirt numbers in reverse!

Anyway I'm just recommending it for a bit of nostalgia on cold January evenings ....

el punal

There is one set of images that looks as if the Albion are playing Bristol Rovers at Eastville - the clue being the dog track floodlights! If I’m right then Rovers would be playing in plain blue shirts, the Albion look as if they’re playing in different coloured stripes (or shades?). Can anyone elaborate?

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Wow brilliant thanks. I'm sure that first pic of the guys smoking in the dressing room is my old PE teacher Mr Foreman!
Looking at the original little west stand and what we have now really brings it home how the club has come doesn't it.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Interesting to see the building on the Northeast corner of the Goldstone. Does anyone know what it was?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wow brilliant thanks. I'm sure that first pic of the guys smoking in the dressing room is my old PE teacher Mr Foreman!
Looking at the original little west stand and what we have now really brings it home how the club has come doesn't it.

Isn't that Denis Foreman enjoying a half time fag?

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Lol!

tabs.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I love image 5972. It must have been taken just after they put the 'Tamplins Ales' sign on the North Stand (I think) as the workmen made a complete hash of it! It's all back to front! How could they have been that stupid?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I love image 5972. It must have been taken just after they put the 'Tamplins Ales' sign on the North Stand (I think) as the workmen made a complete hash of it! It's all back to front! How could they have been that stupid?

That's nothing the players all have their shirts on inside out as well

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The images shown look the wrong way round as I believe they are negatives ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The images shown look the wrong way round as I believe they are negatives ?

No, negatives had reversed colors, i.e. white people with black hair looked like black people with white hair. I'm guessing the photographer just put his film in the camera the wrong way round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here