Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Champions League

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Several reports doing the rounds that Champions League games will be moved to weekends with domestic fixtures moved to midweek to accommodate them. This would help to attract the major Asian and American markets and stagger Kick off times so more games could be shown.

In favour or against?

???

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That is a total non-starter and a kick in the teeth for all fans who don't live in the town/city where their club is. One of the only things, as far as I am concerned, that is good about the premier league, is that there are fewer evening games as they are a complete nuisance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair if you were in the Champions League that'd be quality. So much potential for weekends away in some excellent places

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Can't see this going down well in Spain. Most league games are played at the weekend with a couple of mid-week fixtures. They play ALL cup games mid-week.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I can see why the money men in football would think this a brilliant idea. There is an inevitability that the top teams in Europe are going to find a way of raking in even more money for their ‘product.’ Crap for all fans in the respective domestic leagues.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
14 PL gameweeks would move from weekends to midweek if my calculations are correct.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They moved the final to a weekend from midweek, so I'm surprised this hasn't already happened.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I don't see too many issues. Only four of our league will play in the CL so most of the other games can go ahead and for those fans of CL clubs it'll certainly be beneficial to travel on weekends so they won't have to take two days off work midweek. Annoying for those who work weekends but I don't think it'll have much of an implication in general.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I don't see too many issues. Only four of our league will play in the CL so most of the other games can go ahead and for those fans of CL clubs it'll certainly be beneficial to travel on weekends so they won't have to take two days off work midweek. Annoying for those who work weekends but I don't think it'll have much of an implication in general.

ALL of the fixtures on CL games will be moved. As with the current setup it's not allowed for domestic top division games to clash with CL games.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I guess it would give them a lot more options in terms of televising games.

No British team would be able to play at 3pm Saturday though due to blackout I assume?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One step closer to a European Elite league for the wealthy clubs.
Which of the 'Elite' clubs will settle for struggling at or near the bottom of the pile if a European Elite League was started? None of them is my guess but some of them will have to-they can't all win it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
They will kill football given the chance, I'm convinced most of these leeches making fortunes out of the game would not give a shit if it went belly up in 10 years time.
How do the next generation of kids get interested if only 10 home matches a season are at a time when they can go?

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
May as well close all stadiums and not bother with spectators at games.

They seem more interested in TV money than bums on seats at matches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here